PDA

View Full Version : time for wood to acclimate before using

Sammy Shuford
02-14-2007, 6:03 PM
I just got 35bf of popular in from North Carolina. (I’m in SC) how long should I allow it to acclimate in my garage/shop before working with it. (not raw wood, 13/16 S4S)

Ian Abraham
02-14-2007, 7:05 PM
Do you know the M/C of the timber now, and the equlibrium M/C of your shop?

Without knowing those it's a complete guess :rolleyes:

It might be perfectly OK now, or maybe it could do with a couple of weeks to acclimate.

If in doubt, leave it a couple of weeks ;) :D

Cheers

Ian

Sammy Shuford
02-14-2007, 7:22 PM
No M/C meter yet.

Dan Oliphant
02-14-2007, 7:48 PM
Like Ian stated, let the lumber set, with good venilation for several weeks. My preference is to let lumber set for three weeks before making any cuts.

Lee Schierer
02-14-2007, 9:20 PM
I have to agree with the others with out a moisture meter it is mostly guess work. I would wait at least 2 weeks per inch of thickness if the shop is heated, longer if it is not.

Was the wood air dried or kiln dried before you got it?

Steven Evans
02-14-2007, 9:38 PM
Looks like I am needing a meter myself. Can someone give some ins and outs of what to buy?? I have seen simple to scientific for sale. I want to buy a good one the first time around.

John Miliunas
02-14-2007, 9:51 PM
Looks like I am needing a meter myself. Can someone give some ins and outs of what to buy?? I have seen simple to scientific for sale. I want to buy a good one the first time around.

Steven, pretty much anything from Delmhorst should do you quite nicely. Nice equipment and fantastic customer service. :)

NOTE: NOT affiliated w/Delmhorst in any way, etc... Just a happy customer. :) :cool:

Dave Malen
02-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Recently FWW had an artical on moisture content and moisture meters. I got a Delmhorst at amazon for a 100.
Dave