PDA

View Full Version : Insurance/Zoning Issues?

Bob Kline
02-14-2007, 5:22 PM
Like many here, I'm set up at home -- in my case in a townhouse. I haven't had any issues but got to wondering if there are potential issues/problems relative to insurance coverage or zoning. I follow the axiom, "Ask for forgiveness, not permission" but I can't get rid of that nagging concern

Nancy Laird
02-14-2007, 5:49 PM
Here in New Mexico I can run my business out of my house if I don't have clients coming and going all the time. Since I go TO my customers instead of having them come here, I don't have a problem. If you are doing woodworking just for your own pleasure, in your own garage, you shouldn't have any zoning problems either. It's a hobby, just like any other, and the zoning police can't police what hobbies you participate in, not in your own home.

Insurance, on the other hand, is an interesting question. If you have a lot of high-end machines and equipment, you might talk to your insurance agent about putting a rider on your homeowner's policy to cover your machines. A serious talk with your agent would be in order, IMHO. (I need to talk to LOML about this same issue.)

Nancy

Joe Pelonio
02-14-2007, 6:16 PM
I moved to my house a month ago. I kept my business insurance which covers my liability as pertains to my products and customers and my equipment. The price went down about 15% from what I paid at the commercial space, but the agent told me it would ne more costly to add riders to the homeowners and there could be a lot of "grey areas" when I filed claims.

I obtained a "home occupation" license from the city which was a one time cost of $15. They do not collect any taxes from me. All they do is to record the licenses for data on how many people have a home based business (very high here).

While they don't bother to check, I had to indicate that I meet the following:

Off street parking for 2 residents, one customer, and one employee
Customers by appointment only, one at a time
Nothing to be done outside unless I'm in the nursery business
No noise that would bother the neighbors between 9pm and 7am

In your case you might find something in the covenants that covers a home business that's different from what the city says.

So far after 2 months here I seem to average 1-2 deliveries/customers coming here, and I end up out delivering 2-3 times a week. The rest is all shipped.

Ted Calver
02-14-2007, 8:24 PM
Google up your municipal web site and see if the code in available on line. Then do a search for home business.

Martin Reynolds
02-15-2007, 11:18 PM
My city has local laws that forbid the sale or repair of equipment above a certain size from a home business - and that size is about like a dishwasher. I suspect that they had some problems years back with people stacking old appliances in their front yards. And only two delivery vehicles a day.

Plus, of course, no annoying the neighbors.

Bob Keyes
02-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Dear Bob,

I purchased a home business insurance policy through AAW. It was much cheaper than through my insurance company. You might want to google for home business insurance.