PDA

View Full Version : New Yankee workshop book

Brian Keith
02-14-2007, 3:52 PM
Not sure which book it is but there is plans on how to build a night stand that I would like to try for my first ww project other than jigs. If anyone has this book, would you be willing to copy the plans and mail them to me? Thanks

Ted Miller
02-14-2007, 4:08 PM
I just saw that book on Yahoo auctions for $1.29 and $4.29 shipping...

Ron Jones near Indy
02-14-2007, 4:25 PM
Brian,
Try your local library. If they don't have it (unlikely), I'm sure they can request it from another library.

Anthony Anderson
02-14-2007, 5:47 PM
It has been my experience, that the libraries that I have visited, all have had Norm's books. You can always find the plans on the website for about $10. The price of the plan/measured drawing is pretty cheap, compared to the overall cost of the project. Bill

Carl Eyman
02-14-2007, 9:04 PM
I just looked here at home and I didn't find it. I did build it several years ago and I think all of the NYW projects I built I had the drawings for. So it probably is at my shop - away from home. I'll look tomorrow, If I find it I'll PM you and you can give me your address; I'll mail you the drawing. You can return it to me later, or pass it along to someone else. Watch for my message tomorrow.

Brian Keith
02-14-2007, 9:53 PM
Thanks Carl I would appreciate that and Ill be looking for your message. Thanks

David Cramer
02-15-2007, 7:35 AM
Brian

As others have said, you should definitely be able to find that book at most libraries you visit. I know they had all his books at our libraries for years and years. The plans aren't that expensive, if you have to go that route. Good luck.

Dave

Mike Heidrick
02-15-2007, 8:02 AM
Not sure which book it is but there is plans on how to build a night stand that I would like to try for my first ww project other than jigs. If anyone has this book, would you be willing to copy the plans and mail them to me? Thanks

I have the book that has the adirondack chair in it. I will looks as well tonight.

Mike

jeremy levine
02-15-2007, 8:26 AM
I have one ofthe NYW books give me ( us) a bit more detail and I can look.

Brian Keith
02-15-2007, 3:32 PM
Thanks for all the help. Brian

jeremy levine
02-20-2007, 9:42 AM
Have you found a copy ?

Greg Robbins
02-20-2007, 11:02 AM
It's in this one.
http://www.amazon.com/New-Yankee-Workshop-Norm-Abram/dp/B00008RWCH/sr=1-2/qid=1171982378/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-2231352-2237506?ie=UTF8&s=books

Bill Esposito
02-20-2007, 6:39 PM
It's in this one.
http://www.amazon.com/New-Yankee-Workshop-Norm-Abram/dp/B00008RWCH/sr=1-2/qid=1171982378/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-2231352-2237506?ie=UTF8&s=books
Greg,

I have that one but I'm not home till the weekend. I would recommend you purchase that book as there are many good plans in it including his Euro style bench. worth the used price IMO.

Al Killian
02-20-2007, 8:20 PM
Just remember the copy right laws about copy plans and articles out of book. It would be much easier to just buy the book. Then if want, you can sell it or oass it on to someone else.

Brian Keith
02-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Yes its the book in Greg Robbins link. I have looked through the book and the only plans that I like were the nightstand thats why I cant justify paying the $25 locally for one plan. Not a big deal just though if someone had it handy they could send the plans. Thanks

John Lucas
02-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Yes its the book in Greg Robbins link. I have looked through the book and the only plans that I like were the nightstand thats why I cant justify paying the $25 locally for one plan. Not a big deal just though if someone had it handy they could send the plans. Thanks

Let me get this straight. So rather than buy the book, you are asking others to be illegal for you? Is that right?

This is a legal way: the plans only are avail from New Yankee Workshop for $11.
http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0211
http://www.newyankee.com/sketches/0211s.gif

Tom Majewski
02-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Wow, so much for helping out a new woodworker. Lot's of self appointed police around here.

Brian, if I GIVE you the book, I wonder if some people will get upset and call that double dipping.

Tom

Martin Shupe
02-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Wow, so much for helping out a new woodworker. Lot's of self appointed police around here.

Brian, if I GIVE you the book, I wonder if some people will get upset and call that double dipping.

Tom

I am sure that there are many here willing to LEGALLY help out a new woodworker.

I have no problem with you giving him the book.

I have no problem with him borrowing the book from the library and making a copy of the plans for his own use. (I am not sure if this is legal or not.) I might add, that I am sure this book can be found at any library in the US via inter-library loan.

I don't think it is appropriate to ask someone else on the forum to copy the plans and send them to him. I would not like to see Sawmill Creek put in jeopardy by this action.

It's just my opinion, but I agree with John in this case.

Al Killian
02-21-2007, 2:51 AM
I have no problems helping new members, but I am not going to start screwing around with copyright laws over a set of plans that can be bought for elevn dollars.

Jim Becker
02-21-2007, 9:00 AM
Let's not get testy, folks.

Jim
SMC Moderator
----

Personal comment...I agree with Martin's assessment.

Tom Majewski
02-21-2007, 9:59 AM
I apologise if I sounded testy, but I think instead of being browbeaten as a potential criminal, a better response would be- We don't do that here. SMC cannot be a conduit for circumventing copyrights. If you want to contact someone by another means, let your conscience be your guide.

Now my personal feelings. I don't understand people who say copy it from a library, but it's illegal to copy it from MY book.

It's not the $11, it's the attitude.

I never met one person who never borrowed of lent a book in my life. I asked my wife (school teacher) and she never did either. Maybe we're a minority group. When I haven't it was because I thought I'd never see the book again, not because I thought someone would xerox a page from it.

If I though someone would xerox the plans and start selling them on ebay, that's different -I'd be the first to one to light off a stinkbomb.

I do contract cad work for many people. I wouldn't copy my software for people as I feel my thousands of dollars of cad programs are part of my "competitive edge". However I have no problem burning a copy for my teenage stepson, hoping he'll learn a skill, get a job, and then his employer buys him a copy.

Tom

Brian Keith
02-21-2007, 3:47 PM
1- Checked my local library and they dont have a copy.
2- If they did have a copy they said they didnt mind if I photo copied the plans. Now would that be putting the library in jeopardy of doing something illegal?
3- Whats the difference in sending an entire book to someone(which people are willing to do) or just a copy of a plan from a book.
4- If I was sent the book and then passed it on to the next woodworker like some have mentioned to do would we all be in some violation?
5- Thanks to all that offered but I wouldnt want to put anyone in jeopardy.
6- Didnt relize this would be a sensitive subject for some.
7- All I was trying to do was build my first and most challenging piece of furniture since I started working with wood.

Jim Becker
02-21-2007, 4:21 PM
Brian, the library situation is kewel. I'm not in law, but I believe this is covered under something called "Fair Use" or something equally legal sounding. If your library doesn't have it, they should be able to get you a copy to read via inter-library loan. The ISBN number of the original NYW book with the Bedside Table project on page 65 is ISBN-10: 0316004545. (I bought my copy used from Half-com a number of years ago...it's actually an autographed copy from Norm to someone named "Ken")

The book, itself, already has "permission" for the plan, so if someone gives you the book (or you buy one) and then you subsequently pass it on to someone else after you are done using it is also kewel. Making a copy of the plan from the book (by you) for your personal use is also fine as far as I know if you bought the book or received it from someone else.

What folks are trying to say is that someone else making a copy of the plan for you is possibly "not kewel". Notice I said "possibly"...and on things like this I know I'll always suggest a conservative answer.

Rod Sheridan
02-21-2007, 7:34 PM
Theft of intelectual property, isn't in my opinion, helping out a new member.

The other suggestion, such as giving the book to the new member, is helpful, friendly and legal, just the sort of impression we should be making with a new member.

Regards, Rod.

Mike Heidrick
02-22-2007, 1:00 AM
I checked and I do not have this book. But I do have the book with the adirondak plan in it if you need it (J/K everybody).

I was at a store last week that offered to let me copy any section of their WW for-sale books I needed if I was not ready to buy the book just yet. They figured I would buy it when I was ready. I thought that was interesting. They definately have a wider selection than my local library. But tehn again Amazon and half.com have a ton of everything. I like to own originals for some reason - books, music, dvds. I just like owning originals for my collections.