PDA

View Full Version : Aerosol lacquer problems

Lloyd Haanstra
12-03-2003, 2:08 PM
Introducing myself as a new member.

Dennis Peacock told me about the sawmillcreek site and one visit got me hooked. Here I find answers to questions and will visit often.
I am an amateur woodworker, making mostly sawdust and once in a while a toy for my grandkids with my scroll saw, lathe, bandsaw and other adult toys. I work for Deft, a name known to many of you since we make Deft Clear Wood Finish, a brushing lacquer. I want to use this opportunity to share with you the problems we encountered with the aerosol version of our Clear Wood Finish. We have used the largest aerosol packager in the US to package our product in aerosol cans. This went well for many years, but a few years ago we started getting complaints about leakage with many cans. The leakage occurs when the blue actuator moves up, seperating from the valve. When this occurs, the lacquer leaks out in the “cup” and when you tip the can it spills on your work piece. We tried other valves, but our cutomers spoke loud and clear, no other valve is acceptable. After working close with our aerosol packager the good news is that they have developed a new design for this valve. We just completed a field test and the feedback from our beta testers was an overwhelming, enthousiastic endorsement that the leakage problem is solved. Now our packager needs to have a new mold made for the new valve parts and that will be ready sometime next spring. In the meantime, if you encounter a leaking can, give us a call and Deft will send you replacement cans.

Dennis, thank you for telling me about Sawmillcreek.

Lloyd Haanstra
Irvine, California.

Noah Alkinburgh
12-03-2003, 4:17 PM
Welcome to the Creek Lloyd. Its good to have you. Thanks for the heads up on the sprayer problem...I just got some a month or two a go and will keep an eye open.

Looking forward to having you around! Enjoy your time here at the Creek, even if you keep questionable company like that Peacock fella ;)

Noah

Bob Lasley
12-03-2003, 11:27 PM
Thanks Lloyd. So far I have had no problems with your fine product, but I appreciate the warning. Dennis steered you right in checking out this place, but don't believe everything he tells you! :D

Welcome to SMC,
Bob

Dennis Peacock
12-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Introducing myself as a new member.

Dennis Peacock told me about the sawmillcreek site and one visit got me hooked.

if you encounter a leaking can, give us a call and Deft will send you replacement cans.

Dennis, thank you for telling me about Sawmillcreek.

Lloyd Haanstra
Irvine, California.

<b>Well Hello there Lloyd..!!!!!!</b>

First of all WELCOME to Sawmill Creek. Enjoy your swim....Add your knowledge, experiences and thoughts and take what knowledge you can use and go for broke.!!! ;)

Next, Thank You for coming to SMC as a representative of Deft. I know many here use Deft products and since our membership is now over 1700 strong, what better place to share info about finishes.

Many thanks for sending me the replacement cans. Each new valve on the cans <i>worked flawlessly</i>. An extremely nice improvement over the old valve on the ones I had been using in the past.

Now....don't pay any attention to Noah.....he's just jealous that he's not as "purdy" as me.!!!! ;)
Lasley is just tring to divert your attention......focus......focus..fo-cu-u-u-u-u-s-s-s-s-s!!!!! :)

Thanks for your post Lloyd and make your self at home.

Von Bickley
12-04-2003, 1:12 PM
Lloyd,

Welcome to "The Creek". I'm sure you will enjoy hanging out with us. We have a lot of good people here that really enjoy talking about woodworking.

ps: Perhaps Deft could donate a case of their "Clear Wood Finish" for a SMC drawing.... :D :D :D

Glad to have you with us.

Earl Huggins
12-07-2003, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the information on the nozzles of your aerosol cans. I use Deft all the time and have experienced this leakage. Thanks again for the information. Earl