PDA

View Full Version : A pen/drill press question, if I may?

David Cramer
02-14-2007, 2:28 PM
Hello

What is the best drill press out there to drill completely through the long part of the pen blank in one pass? I have the benchtop delta model and I was told that it won't make it through completely. I realize that you can lift the blank up and then complete the hole, but I wondered, do you need a big stationary drill press or is there a benchtop brand/model that will complete it with enough throw in one pass? If I need a large drill press, which one is the favorite out there if you're mainly using it to drill pen blanks? Thanks!

Dave

Mark Patoka
02-14-2007, 2:49 PM
David,
I have the 12" Delta benchtop and it has a 2-1/2" quill travel. It drills through most of the pen blanks I use because the tubes are 2". Since I cut the blanks about 2-1/4" there is just enough for the bit to go all the way through. On the few occasions that I've had to drill longer blanks, I did stop it and raise it up with another block underneath to finish the hole.

I think most floor model DPs have more than 2-1/2" quill travel which is really what determines how deep you can go in one pass.

Charlie Black
02-14-2007, 2:49 PM
Dave,
I don't think it can be done with hobby equipment - if you just need a few blanks - buy them from Penn State - predrilled - several diameters...
When you use your home eqipment, the drill bit seems to flex just enough that it is not possible to drill more than a couple inches, without the bit wandering off into left field!!
Good Luck!!
CB:)

Dario Octaviano
02-14-2007, 2:56 PM
There are table top DP with 3-1/2" quill travel. For what is best...depends on your budget ;)

I use mine w/ 2-1/2" all the time and though it is a bit of a pain to lift the longer barrel most of the time...it is done in a few seconds only.

Jason Hallowell
02-14-2007, 4:32 PM
I don't have a drill press, so I just drill my blanks on the lathe. It takes a little longer to do it this way, but the results are actually more accurate, and I don't make that many pens anyway. This does of course require a jacobs chuck for the tailstock, and a chuck to hold the blank as well. Just a thought.

Larry Rupert
02-14-2007, 7:45 PM
Not exactly an answer but...

I have a Craftsman Benchtop drill press. (Hey it was free in almost new shape). It only does about 2", I lift the blank to finish drilling, and have had just about no problems with it working. I'm glad to have a benchtop press that can do it at all, so I guess I'm happy... One pass would be nice because it's faster, but I can't see how the hole can be any better quality.. FWIW :D Larry

Ron Chamberlin
02-14-2007, 8:02 PM
Not exactly an answer but...

I have a Craftsman Benchtop drill press. (Hey it was free in almost new shape). It only does about 2", I lift the blank to finish drilling, and have had just about no problems with it working. I'm glad to have a benchtop press that can do it at all, so I guess I'm happy... One pass would be nice because it's faster, but I can't see how the hole can be any better quality.. FWIW :D Larry
My Delta bench press also has only 2" quill travel. A little frustrating sometimes, but no big deal. So David, whatever you might get will be workable.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-14-2007, 9:13 PM
I just bought a Ryobi DP and it just makes it through. I'm doing only slimline pens FYI. I use a jig to hold the blank verticle and clamp the blank in place. I like drilling blanks on a DP but I've tried the lathe and it works, albeit slowly.

David Cramer
02-15-2007, 7:38 AM
Thanks for the ideas. If the Ryobi makes it through, I just might have to take a look at that one first. If it doesn't, then it's a matter of lifting the blank or buying a stationary (floor model) drill press. I will be mostly using it for pens, but who knows what the future holds. Thanks again fellas.

Dave