PDA

View Full Version : need help sourcing material

Ian Malings
02-14-2007, 11:59 AM
help!
i have a customer who has me cutting patterns from white translucent .015" styrene sheet stock.
now they want a light to medium grey color, and i can't find a source for this.
does anyone have experience with thin plastic sheet stock other than styrene?
does anyone have a source for laserable thin colored plastic sheet stock (not shim stock... too costly)
i have spent hours on line and on the phone, and for some reason this seems impossible to source.

any feedback would be much appreciated

thx
ian
Lasermark Studios

Martin Reynolds
02-14-2007, 1:35 PM
One option is Delrin, much stronger that styrene but only white or black (and I can only find white) $2iss per square foot, and maybe darkened edges. The other possibilty is ABS in black .030, about .70 per square foot.

Joe Pelonio
02-14-2007, 1:53 PM
ABS may be available in grey somewhere but my suppliers only have black and white. While it will cost more you can get .015 polycarbonate and have it screeprinted with grey ink, any shade you want by a local screenprinter. I have done electronic control panels for a customer that provided me with screenprinted grey and it cut nicely but I had to apply transfer tape to prevent smoke staining on the inked side.

Ian Malings
02-14-2007, 3:30 PM
thanks for the feedback. i think the most economical solution will ultimately be a custom color run.
the styrene is so cheap per sq ft (less than .15/sf) that the other alternatives are just not going to work out.

thx anyway

ian
Lasermark Studios

Kim Vellore
02-14-2007, 4:26 PM
One option is Delrin, much stronger that styrene but only white or black (and I can only find white) $2iss per square foot, and maybe darkened edges. The other possibilty is ABS in black .030, about .70 per square foot.

I have been looking for thin Delrin/Acetal sheets, the thinest ones I could find was 1/32", I am looking for thickness range of .01-.03".

Kim