PDA

View Full Version : rust

Greg Stanford
02-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Buddy of mine just picked up a used table saw, delta contractors, & it has some light rust on the table. He was asking about removal & I told him to use steel wool & then paste wax. He's still worried so I told him I would post here & get some other opinions. Any other opinions?

Thanks,

g

Greg Cole
02-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Greg,
From one Greg to another, the BOESHIELD line of products is worthy of a plug here. If you reccomend them to your friend, make sure he uses the "RUST FREE" carefully & applies it evenly, the acid will leave "shadows" in cast iron is not applied evenly.

Lee Schierer
02-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Althought the steel wool and paste wax will certainly do the job, it will be far easier and faster to attach a scotch-brite pad (red) to a pad sander, spray the top down with WD-40 and power sand the entire sureface. Wipe off the sludge and WD-40, apply a couple of coats of paste wax.

We use the Boeshield T-9 here at work and it does a good job protecting cast iron, however, we also find that the surface tends to be somewhat sticky and it attracts dust even if you wipe off the T-9.

Sam Chambers
02-14-2007, 5:25 PM
Greg,
From one Greg to another, the BOESHIELD line of products is worthy of a plug here. If you reccomend them to your friend, make sure he uses the "RUST FREE" carefully & applies it evenly, the acid will leave "shadows" in cast iron is not applied evenly.
Another vote for "Rust Free", but with the same caveat. Oh, and it smells like rotten eggs. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, if you like rotten eggs.)

Ted Miller
02-14-2007, 5:35 PM
Scotch brite and Brasso, then some good teflon wax...

Jeff Weight
02-14-2007, 5:51 PM
Greg,

I whole hartedly recommend Rust Free. It's a great product. I always follow it up with WD-40 and various grits of wet sanding to get the desired finish I'm after.