PDA

View Full Version : Fountain pen question

Steve Hayes
02-14-2007, 9:27 AM
I've made 4 of the Woodcraft fountain pens and they are all gold. Does anyone know of a silver or brushed nickel kit that I can turn on a woodcraft mandrel. I've heard that there are differences in the mandrel sizes and that the bushings will not be the correct size. My soon to be wife wants the silver one for our wedding on May the 4th so the guest's can use it to sign in. I'm just concerned using Woodcraft bushings and mandrel on something other than a woodcraft kit.

Stephen Hibbs
02-14-2007, 9:30 AM
If it's a 7mm manrel, any of the penn state bushings will fit it. If not, you could use it as a justification for buying more lathe stuff, and then sneak some tools into the shipment as well.

Frank Kobilsek
02-14-2007, 9:45 AM
Steve,

As Stephan said your mandrel will fit most bushings but you will need different bushings for a different kit. I like the Baron rollerballs which are available in many finishes. I think it is a Berea kit but I buy them from Arizona Silhoutte.

She knows your a woodturner and she is still planning to marry you. That is one special woman. I think most of our wives watched us fall into the Abyss long after their commitment was made. Woodturner's wives are the best people in the world! Congrats.

Frank

Raymond Overman
02-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Steve,

I'm a big fan of the Sterling Silver Baron. Arizona Silhouette (http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/) sells them and the bushings are less than the kit. They also sell the drill bits which I strongly suggest over ones that came in an all inclusive set.

As long as you have a 7 MM mandrel the bushings will fit it.

Good luck.

Steve Hayes
02-14-2007, 11:01 AM
She is pretty special. My Christmas present was a Dewalt 788 scroll saw.