PDA

View Full Version : sled adjustments

Mike Steinhilper
02-14-2007, 8:16 AM
I have nearly finished my crosscut sled, but it is off square by just a hair. I have one screw in so I can pivot. I get it square, then put a screw in the other side. The act of driving the screw takes it off square again. What can I do to either adjust the fence, or hold it perfectly square while driving the screw?

Al Willits
02-14-2007, 9:00 AM
What I did on mine was to drill the holes slightly over sized, then used a fostner bit and drill in enough to hide the screw head and washer, did this on both ends (left and right) and to adjust I loosen the machine nuts and tap the fence square, then tighten.
Not sure if that was a very good explanation.
Al

Mike Steinhilper
02-14-2007, 9:07 AM
that makes sense. so the whole in the base was just a little oversized? the you used a pan head screw and washer? does it hold square or do you have to adjust frequently?

Frederick Rowe
02-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Rather than try to have your second screw be the final adjustment, widen the second screw hole so that it more of a slot, which will allow some fore and aft movement. Then tighten the second screw firmly, then bring it into square by firm taps from a dead blow hammer. Periodically, you should check for square by any number of test cut techniques ( I use the technique where you cross cut a rectangular piece of 1/4" mdf or flat plywood, then flip the right side so that the side/face that was table down, is now table up. Lay a straight edge along the bottom and look for a gap. Adjust the fence to eliminate the gap.)
Some might have luck getting their fence square first time out, but my advise is give the sled fence some adjustablity, and "walk it in".