PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with PEX?

Owen Gregg
02-14-2007, 7:00 AM
I was wondering if anybody here had any experience running PEX for their plumbing. I'm not sure if it will meet code requirements here, but I'm calling to check tomorrow. The reason I'm leaning toward PEX is based largely on what I've read-it's much easier to run if you have a long distance to travel and multiple changes in direction. Easier and more idiot proof = more time for other aspects of a bathroom remodel.

I don't have any experience sweating copper, but am not opposed to learning. I would like to stay away from PVC.

For those of you more experienced than me, what system seems to be the best for my conditions: novice skill level, cost, and installation time?

Thanks ahead of time,
Owen

David G Baker
02-14-2007, 10:35 AM
I was wondering if anybody here had any experience running PEX for their plumbing. I'm not sure if it will meet code requirements here, but I'm calling to check tomorrow. The reason I'm leaning toward PEX is based largely on what I've read-it's much easier to run if you have a long distance to travel and multiple changes in direction. Easier and more idiot proof = more time for other aspects of a bathroom remodel.

I don't have any experience sweating copper, but am not opposed to learning. I would like to stay away from PVC.

For those of you more experienced than me, what system seems to be the best for my conditions: novice skill level, cost, and installation time?

Thanks ahead of time,
Owen
Owen,
There is a tractor forum that I am a member of that has covered the PEX issue in depth. You might want to go to the site and do a search. tractorbynet with a dot com after the word net. If you have questions there are a bunch of folks that can probably answer them.
I use 99% copper with some brass fittings in some places. I have never completed a large copper plumbing project without having at least one solder joint leak. I have been thinking about giving PEX a try in some areas of my house. I have some very difficult areas that now have soft copper tubing in them that will need replaced in the next few years and I think that PEX will work for me in those areas.
I think that PEX is becoming code acceptable in most areas but if you are going to do work that is inspected, you might want to check with a licensed plumber or your code enforcement people to make sure.
David B

Jim Becker
02-14-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm about to use PEX for our addition. I'll never install copper again...

There shouldn't be code issues, but there are always local provisions that trump anything...including logic.

Greg Cole
02-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Based on my brother in law being a plumber and his yammering about no more sweating copper, I decided to spend the $90 on a set of the crimping pliers on a whim. Didn't need to do any plumbing at the time, just one of those impulse things.
Within 3 months of buying them, I had a leak (ok, maybe caused the leak too....long story about installing countertop, new sink, disposal etc) and I seemed to have stressed a soldered joint a little too much. Lets say the joint stressed was about 10 peices (including 3/4 "to 1/2" reduction, a "T" and this was all shoved up above the sill plate on top of the foundation in the laundry room. Trying to retrofit that entire piece where it was located was not exactly possible unless I wanted to move the washer (front loaders are HEAVY) and dryer.
With a couple pieces of PEX and a few fittings, I had the job done in about 2 minutes.
I will never sweat copper again.

David G Baker
02-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Greg,
I am going to run air lines in my shops in copper so my copper days will continue for a few more years. I also have a large amount of fittings and some pipe so I will at least use that up. I have half of my house done with new copper and still have the wash room and two baths left to do. It sure is heaven having a basement instead of an 18 inch crawl space like I had in California when I re did all the plumbing and removed all of the galvanized pipe. Sawzalls are sure a blessing when removing galvanized pipe.
David B

Ben Grunow
02-14-2007, 9:25 PM
I installed 1" PEX lines that run from my boiler to the air handler in the attic serving my 2nd and 3rd floors. They were a much cheaper and quicker alternative to sweating the lines up in copper and I liked the idea because there are no joints behind any walls and they are more resistant to damage from freezing (in a heated mechanical room in the attic that would be first to freezed if the boiler went out).

My only complaint is that they creak a little when the circulating motor comes on. This is due to the expansion of the pipes over their length as they go from whatever temperature they are (lowest maybe 60 or 70) up to boiler temp which is 180F. I have used the right straps but still they go tick tick tick. Fortunately this only occurs in the basement where I can fix it somehow but I wonder what water lines will do in your walls? Do some research, as I did and I still have a creak, on how to install it or listen to it forever.

rick fulton
02-15-2007, 2:12 AM
Owen,

I agree with the others that it is easy to work with. My only problem involved the interface between the old copper and the new pex. The copper-to-pex coupling was very finicky, and had to be reseated several times before I got a leak free seal.

rick

Owen Gregg
02-15-2007, 8:19 AM
Thanks guys. After some research, I've decided to go with PEX. The DIY forums and the tractorbynet forums went into minute detail, which was a good read.

Most the forums seem to reiterate a couple points that really hit home with me. I really like the ease of use, it seems to be universally agreed upon as the way to go for remodels where working space will be an issue, and the amount of time a guy spends running PEX versus running copper is what really tipped me in that direction. I REALLY like the idea of saving sizeable amounts of time.

The only con I really found for my application was the cost of tools, but I think I can convince the LOML to let me buy them after I get an estimate from a professional plumber.

Thanks for all the info!

John Gregory
02-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Copper, "the new pecious metal" is so very expensive now, that your savings by using PEX will probably pay for the tools many times over.

Paul Downes
02-15-2007, 10:37 PM
I ran PEX from my outdoor wood stove about 80' into the house, all the way over to the furnace. I used stainless couplers and heavy duty clamps similar to hose clamps that tighten with a bolt. Never had any leaks and didn't buy any tools. The clamps came from an outdoor wood stove vendor. (PEX to Copper joints)

John Daugherty
02-16-2007, 9:23 AM
Last summer I plumbed my new house with PEX. It took about 45 min. to rough in all the water lines. It was really easy to work with. I also used a manabloc manifold system. It's a "home run" system. Like an electrical panel for water. I transitioned to copper at the toilets. There are only two fitting behind the wall, and those are at the toilets where I stubbed copper out.