PDA

View Full Version : 33in x 30ft red oak

Philip Duffy
12-03-2003, 4:36 AM
Humungus red oak tree, a hurricane casualty, is laying in my back yard. Any suggestions on hauling it out in less than 10 pieces would be appreciated. My instinct is that I need a skid-sled and a team of horses, or a very big tractor. Sure would like to see those planks laying on a drying rack for a year or two and then used to make someone a nice house full of furniture. It would be a crime to have it just lay there and rot. Ideas??? Phil

Bill Sampson
12-03-2003, 8:26 AM
Phillip, Harper Hardware in downtown Richmond is having a wood show and sale on Fri and Sat Dec. 12 & 13. A Wood Mizer demo will be set up for both days. Might be worth your time to visit and talk to the demonstrator about your oak tree. Bill Sampson, Richmond

Todd Burch
12-03-2003, 8:42 AM
There is a type of portable sawmill called a swing blade that can be set up to straddle a log in place. Lucas makes one, so does Mighty Mite. Perhaps you can ask either for a local referral.

Also, FYI, red oak is one of the most difficult woods to air dry. I would suggest that you find a kiln and have it professionally dried, that is, unless you open it up and it's hollow or rotten or has some other defect.

Todd.

Barbara Gill
12-04-2003, 5:21 AM
I once had a customer deliver hugh (SED 52") on a roll back. I don't know how many logs they could haul at once or how much it would cost.