PDA

View Full Version : Circular saw brake feature...

Jim O'Dell
02-13-2007, 10:58 PM
...is it that big a deal? My 30+ year old Craftsman bit the dust tonight. It had been noisey off and on, and finally dropped a bearing out of it this evening. I've about decided to get the Hitachi. Felt good in my hand a few weeks ago when I started seeing the signs, and did a little shopping. I'm just not sure if it is worth 30.00 extra for the brake feature. It comes with a 5 year warranty, which is not bad.
Any real life info you can supply would be appreciated. Jim.

Anthony Anderson
02-14-2007, 12:39 AM
Jim, I bought a Tilt-Lok Milwaukee. I love the saw, plenty of power, adjustment, so on. But I wish I had the brake. After I purchased the saw. My son, who is older and knows better now, was curiously starting to put his finger near the spinning blade. I turned around and caught him just in time. Two seconds later, and we both know what would have happened. Had I gotten the brake model the blade would have stopped spinning before he could have gotten to the blade (in the event I hadn't been able to stop him). Yes, I do believe the brake is worth the extra $30. I still have the Milwaukee, but I make sure I am the only one around when I am using it. I still consider selling it to buy a model with the brake. Regards, Bill

Jon Shively
02-14-2007, 1:10 AM
My DeWalt has that feature, built my two story 24X24 addition on my home four or five years ago and that saw is still a good buy, comfortable to use, and power to spare.

Jeff Caskie
02-14-2007, 7:08 AM
I don't have tons of experience to reflect back on.. but I certainly favor having a brake. I recall one experience when I was using a cheapo skill saw with no brake... I made my cut and set it down too fast.. before the blade cover fully closed (maybe it was stuck?). The blade dug in to the wood deck I was standing on.. and started climbing toward my foot. Luckily it didn't make it all the way, but it was certainly a wake up experience. I don't want to have a repeat of that. I get really mad when the brake on my PC does not always work. I think eventually the majority of saws will have the feature... but for now, I am willing to spend the extra money.

Pete Brown
02-14-2007, 8:01 AM
I like the brake. I wish my tablesaw had one.

Also consider the Festool if your budget can support it.

Pete

Chuck Saunders
02-14-2007, 8:27 AM
I think that the brake is a nice addition. I have a scar on my right thigh from setting my Skilsaw on my leg after the guard had jammed up. My mistake not the saw. If you are planning to use a tracked guide like the EZ Smart a brake is more desirable.
Chuck

Tom Jones III
02-14-2007, 8:50 AM
$30 for a useful safety feature sounds pretty cheap.

Greg Cole
02-14-2007, 9:53 AM
I have a venerable Skil #77's that I love dearly and have used the heck out of... and last summer I picked up one of the Milwaukee L-ION 28V "kits" that included a 6 1/4" CS. I have to say since bringing home the Milwaukee set, the #77 has been sitting on the shelf for the following reasons (other than when I can't find a blade for the 6 1/4" Milwaukee, like for cutting cement fiber board etc). Listed in order of "significance"
1) Brake
2) it has basically the same power
3) the #77 weighs about 5 times what the Milwaukee weighs
4) it's almost silent when running

I was seriously amazed at the power these have. I ripped some PT 2X material 10' and it never bogged down even through knots and some very wet stuff.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-14-2007, 10:01 AM
I have set my hand held saws down a little too early.
I'd pay $30.00 extra not to have those gouges.

Keith Webster
02-14-2007, 10:25 AM
I think that the Bosch http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-detail.htm?H=175981&G=54930&I=55124 would be worth looking at. Can get a 3 yr warranty on it.

Jim O'Dell
02-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Keith, I like the Bosch, but IIRC, it doesn't have the brake does it? I can get the Hitachi with brake for 99.95 delivered from Amazon, and the one without the brake for 77.50 shipped from Coastal Tool. Both have 5 hear warranty and were reviewed well. I'm leaning toward the brake, may order it when I go home for lunch. Bosch has an accessory dust port you can buy. Dino of EZ Smart has done a mod on the Hitachi for the Bosch port. I looked at the PC with the port built in, but too many wrote of failure of the quick change blade set up for my liking, and 30.00 to repair. Hitachi has a blade lock, and that's fine. In retrospect, I probably killed the Craftsman trying to change blades a couple years ago. No shaft lock and no place to get a wrench on the shaft to hold it to break the blade bolt loose. I jammed a piece of wood in the blade and probably twealed the saw.
Thanks for the comments guys! Jim.

Burt Waddell
02-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Greg,

Makita has the 6 1/4" fiber cement board blade.

Burt

Steve Clardy
02-14-2007, 1:31 PM
Yes. Have a brake on my pc framers saw.
Wouldn't have another without it

Jim O'Dell
02-14-2007, 3:31 PM
OK, I ordered the Hitachi with brake while at home for lunch. Didn''t have any indication of availability until you got almost through with the check out, then says est shipping date March 19 to April 2.:( :( :( Oh well...guess I'll hope they can send it earlier as often happens, and use the jig saw in the mean time!
Thanks again for the information! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
02-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Well, this is interesting. Yesterday I look and the Amazon offering is back as the "front" page when going to the saw, hmmmmm. Then I notice the line "In stock" and order in the next xhours and x minutes for delivery by Friday with expedited shipping. Ok, sounds like it's back in stock, go to my account for the purchase, still shows late March to mid April for delivery. Got an email tonight saying it has been shipped!! Shipped the 15th. I do the Amazon tracking thing and this is what it shows:

Order #: XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX Shipment Date: February 15, 2007 Destination: ALEDO, TX, US Estimated Arrival: April 13, 2007
HUUUHHHHHHH??????? Now that's a slow boat delivery. UPS must have gone to bicycle delivery all the way. Just checked the real eta on UPS's site, 2/20. YEA!!! For those of you near Harrisburg,PA, if you see a UPS truck tonight, wave...it might be my saw!! Jim.

Bruce Wrenn
02-15-2007, 10:34 PM
I have a B&D Sawcat (before the DeWalt thingy) which I LOVE! My Milwaulkie doesn't have a brake. Tonight when using it to cut parts for a cabinet job, I realized how much I like the brake on the B&D Sawcat. Oh yeah, I have a couple of the DeWalts also that have brake feature.

Jim O'Dell
02-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Well, it showed up last night right on time. Everything is in place and in good shape. Here's the required picture, 58432althought our birthday touting sheriff seems to be out of the office this week. It does take about 3 full seconds for the blade to stop, which is a little linger than I hoped for, but not too bad. I'll gett to use it either Fri. evening, or Sat. afternoon, and I'll post my comments on it then. Jim.

Jeff Caskie
02-21-2007, 12:12 PM
It does take about 3 full seconds for the blade to stop, which is a little linger than I hoed for, but not too bad.

There is an old post.. I believe in the Eurekazone forum where they timed a number of the various models. I believe the Makitas had the fastest brake of the bunch.