PDA

View Full Version : Price Reduced: Porter-Cable 7518 Router

Jeff Wright
02-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Amazon just revised their price for the Porter-Cable 7518 router. I just got a notice saying:

Please note that the price of Porter-Cable 75182 Variable Speed Router Motor (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/) has decreased from $351.74 to $270.66

If you're equipping your new router table, this might be a good time to buy.

Gilbert Vega
02-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Do you have a link? It shows up as $349 for me. The link you posted goes back to SMC.

Neil Bosdet
02-14-2007, 12:13 AM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_/102-7642647-0629739?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=75182+porter+cable

Gilbert Vega
02-14-2007, 12:19 AM
If I buy the 7518 router for $349, I'm eligible for the $50 Amazon gift certificate. I can then send in for the PC $50 rebate. The router would net $249 and I can sell the fixed base on ebay for $?.

Jeff Wright
02-14-2007, 8:38 AM
If I buy the 7518 router for $349, I'm eligible for the $50 Amazon gift certificate. I can then send in for the PC $50 rebate. The router would net $249 and I can sell the fixed base on ebay for $?.

Gil, what is the code for the $50 gift certificate? And are you saying PC has a $50 rebate?

David Cramer
02-14-2007, 8:43 AM
Nice deal and thanks for posting it Jeff. Are they changing the model after all these years, or just a temporary price drop? Whichever, you can't beat that price, for a new one anyways.

Dave

Paul Stroik
02-16-2007, 6:41 PM
So, I could get the PC75182 and Woodpeckers PRL and have myself a pretty good router setup!? Just need to build the router cabinet.

Jim Becker
02-16-2007, 6:59 PM
Good deal...that's about what I paid for mine quite a few years ago on a similar sale.

Bert Johansen
02-16-2007, 8:53 PM
Jeff, look again closely at the ad. This price is for the MOTOR only.

Tim Malyszko
02-16-2007, 9:22 PM
Just an FYI, the St. Louis Rockler store will have the 7518 on sale for $269.99 next weekend on Feb 24 and Feb 25 for their End of Winter Sale. I have the flyer in my hand - it says it's only valid at Retail Stores. I don't know if this is just a St. Louis store thing, but the flyer looks like something that would be done nationally.

Edit:

I just wanted to point out that the advertised price is actually $219.99, after the $50 rebate, which puts the in-store price at $269.99.

Jim Becker
02-16-2007, 9:25 PM

For router table use with the Woodpeckers, BenchDog and some other lifts, this is actually what you want...no sense in paying for a base you will not be using.

Jeff Wright
02-16-2007, 10:36 PM

Bert, yes, that is what I want. I will be only using it in my ordered Woodpecker router table system with the Incra LS setup. I am considering going with their Precision Router Lift. I have a Festool OF1400 for my freehand work. Also thinking of getting the Colt router for small stuff. It's gotten some great reviews.

Pete Brown
02-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Bert, yes, that is what I want. I will be only using it in my ordered Woodpecker router table system with the Incra LS setup. I am considering going with their Precision Router Lift. I have a Festool OF1400 for my freehand work. Also thinking of getting the Colt router for small stuff. It's gotten some great reviews.

I own both the PRL and the QuickLift. I've found that the one I use the most is the quicklift. It provides the best of both worlds.

I use a Milwaukee router motor in both of my lifts.

Be sure to order their set of trim rings for the plate opening.

I also have the Bosch Colt and it is a very good small router. I use that for quite a bit as well.

Pete

Jeff Wright
02-16-2007, 10:47 PM
I own both the PRL and the QuickLift. I've found that the one I use the most is the quicklift. It provides the best of both worlds.

Pete, what is it about the QuickLift that is different than the PRL that compels you to use it more often? I was going to order the finer 32 gear PRL versus the 16 coarser model. This will be my first router table so I don't have anything to compare my choices with.

Brian Clevenger
02-16-2007, 11:26 PM
Just an FYI, the St. Louis Rockler store will have the 7518 on sale for $269.99 next weekend on Feb 24 and Feb 25 for their End of Winter Sale. I have the flyer in my hand - it says it's only valid at Retail Stores. I don't know if this is just a St. Louis store thing, but the flyer looks like something that would be done nationally.

Edit:

I just wanted to point out that the advertised price is actually $219.99, after the $50 rebate, which puts the in-store price at $269.99.

Rockler in Mesquite, TX said they will have the same deal going. Maybe it's Rockler-wide.

Jeff Wright
02-17-2007, 12:26 AM
Just an FYI, the St. Louis Rockler store will have the 7518 on sale for $269.99 next weekend on Feb 24 and Feb 25 for their End of Winter Sale. . . . I just wanted to point out that the advertised price is actually $219.99, after the $50 rebate, which puts the in-store price at $269.99.

Whose $50.00 rebate? Rockler or Porter Cable?

Gilbert Vega
02-17-2007, 12:37 AM
Gil, what is the code for the $50 gift certificate? And are you saying PC has a $50 rebate?

Here's a link for the PC rebate.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/00/51/69/17/51691777._V46513506_.pdf

Pete Brown
02-17-2007, 1:34 AM
Pete, what is it about the QuickLift that is different than the PRL that compels you to use it more often? I was going to order the finer 32 gear PRL versus the 16 coarser model. This will be my first router table so I don't have anything to compare my choices with.

To change bits, I put their large L-shaped wrench in a hole, turn it 90 degrees and then pull the motor up to the table top. When I'm done, I do the same thing and push the motor back down. To fine-tune, I crank using the handle just like the PRL.

On the PRL, you get a workout cranking the motor up and down for bit changes. It's definitely doable, but I don't see any real advantage to the PRL compared to the quick-lift. Due to the mounting mechanism, the PRL is likely more stable and more accurate, but I haven't run into any issues with either lift. The quick-lift is $50 less or so.

I do want to add that the quick lift/drop on mine is a bit stiffer than I think it should be. I haven't checked with WP to find out if I need to loosen something or adjust something. However, even with that, I love that lift.

Whatever you pick, go with the metal (aluminum) version. IIRC, WP also had a phenolic version. The offset wrenches from WP also help with bit changes.

You may also want to consider the Jessem lift. They recently added a special modified Milwaukee motor to their lineup - it has the speed control and power as a separate box you can mount outside your router table - very slick.

Pete

Jeff Wright
02-17-2007, 7:32 AM
Gil, thanks for the rebate link . . . effectively making the PC 7518 a $220.00 router. Can't beat that with a stick!

Pete, good info - thanks! Woodpecker has many offset wrenches on their website. Do you know which ones I would need if using the PC 7518?

Jim Becker
02-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Jeff, I have the bent wrenches from Woodpeckers for my PC7518 and they work well. When I bought mine, they had the "right ones" marked in the description, but you should also be able to go by size.

Jeff Wright
02-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Jeff, I have the bent wrenches from Woodpeckers for my PC7518 and they work well. When I bought mine, they had the "right ones" marked in the description, but you should also be able to go by size.

You're right Jim. On further looking I found that WP does list the appropriate wrench for the PC 75182. And, it appears the PC routers take two wrenches versus only one. They're not cheap little buggers either . . . . about $20.00 a piece!

Pete Brown
02-17-2007, 11:17 AM
You're right Jim. On further looking I found that WP does list the appropriate wrench for the PC 75182. And, it appears the PC routers take two wrenches versus only one. They're not cheap little buggers either . . . . about $20.00 a piece!

You really only need one, or at least that's the case with my Milwaukee

I use the offset to get the bottom nut, and the regular wrench to loosen the collet nut.

If you can swing it, though, the two WP wrenches are just nice to have anyway. At the very least, they don't rust like my Milwaukee wrench does (which means I can either coat my hand with oil or rust whenever I change bits. ugh)

Pete

Jim Fox
02-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Still shows $349

Never bought from CoastalTool.com but they list it for $275, plus rebate would be it $225, plus a small shipping fee. Still cheaper than Amazon's listed price.

Jeff Wright
02-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Still shows $349. Never bought from CoastalTool.com but they list it for $275, plus rebate would be it $225, plus a small shipping fee. Still cheaper than Amazon's listed price.

Do a google search for "Porter-Cable 75182 Variable Speed Router Motor" on Amazon and you should see it for sale for $270.66. With $50 PC rebate, net cost (not including freight, if applicable) would be $220.66.

Actual link to Amazon listing is long and you may need to copy and paste it into your web browser. Here it is . . .

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007SXHXM/ref=ord_cart_shr/102-0677977-8342545?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Jim Becker
02-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Jim, Coastal Tool is a very good vendor...I buy my Flexeel hose from them and have bought pneumatic nailers from them, too.

Paul Wingert
02-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Still shows $349

Never bought from CoastalTool.com but they list it for $275, plus rebate would be it $225, plus a small shipping fee. Still cheaper than Amazon's listed price.

thanks man, you just saved me $17.. Saw this post in time to cancel my amazon order.

Coastal tool is a good vendor, I've used them before.

Jim O'Dell
02-22-2007, 3:21 PM
I just clicked the above link and the 7518 motor only shows up for the 270 price. Says only 2 left in stock.
I got my 7518 about 2 1/2 years ago from Amazon, was probably my first purchase from them. It was on sale for 275 with another 50 off fathers day special, so 225.00 shipped, and that was with the base. I've been lucky to find several good prices over the past few years, most items are still new in the box while I work on the shop.:eek: Jim.

Jeff Wright
02-22-2007, 10:04 PM
I just clicked the above link and the 7518 motor only shows up for the 270 price. Says only 2 left in stock.

Make that NONE. I think I just bought the last one!

Larry Singer
03-02-2007, 3:14 PM
Anyone have any comments on a Amazon customer post for the 7518. I've been considering this for a router table and would assume 2 passes should be sufficient for hardwood raised panels. I have always seen positive comments on this router, this is the first negative post on Amazon. Anyone with experience using this for raised panel, especially if you just bought it as maybe there was a recent design change...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000222V3/ref=wl_it_dp/105-3876561-9030855?ie=UTF8&coliid=I14IEYWKL68KUK&colid=2VT368HXAS60Q

Don't use this router for Raised Panel Cutters, December 31, 2006
I bought this router thinking that it would have no problem cutting raised panels based on PC description of the product. When I received the router I tried cutting raised panels in red oak with a 3 1/2" panel cutter, the router stalled and had to be reset. I thought something was wrong with it so I called PC and they sent me a new one. It did the same thing. You'll have to take at least 4 passes and even then chance burning the wood if you use this router. It worked great on all other bits except the large panel raiser, which is why I bought it. I could've spent a whole lot less for a router to use with my smaller bits. When I contacted PC about the problem they informed me that that was the design of the router circuitry to stall if too much load was applied. Having to take 4 passes in red oak is a bit excessive. I've had the router for 2 years and ready to throw it in the drawer and not use it.

Dan Lee
03-02-2007, 3:52 PM
I've had my 7518 for 13 years or so and have made a couple dozen raised panels. I did them in 3 passes: 2 large bites and 1 shallow and never had a problem.

Another bit that hogs out a lot of wood is a lock miter bit I used on 1" stock awhile back again no problems as far as power

Jim Becker
03-02-2007, 4:12 PM
Sometimes folks make the mistake of thinking that a 15 amp 120v router has as much cutting power as a 15 amp 240v shaper. Not! Any kind of large cutter will often require (and frankly, benefit from) multiple passes to get to full depth. Therefore, the comment on Amazon really doesn't hold water with me...

Josh Youngman
11-21-2007, 3:08 PM
Amazon has The 7518 motor for $267. good price. these usually dont last long.

Chris Padilla
11-21-2007, 3:31 PM
The PC75182 motor is the Schlitz for router tables due to its 5 rpm settings and it has plenty of power for almost all your ww'ing needs.

I have the WP PRL (bought several years ago) with fine-pitch and thick Al plate. My only complaint is that it needs a good cleaning every so often as the fine-pitched threads get gummed up something fierce. However, overall, great router table (I also have Incra's Twin Linear for the fence).

David Weaver
11-21-2007, 3:53 PM
Ditto - I've dealt with them before, too, several times. They always have great every day prices, and sometimes they have blowout offers on tools, too.

They even helped me out to get a non-stock item that they only order once every 6 months or so. They wrote my name down, called me back when they were ready to order, and didn't even force me to give them credit card information ahead of time.

They're a good place to order from.

Josh Youngman
11-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Price on amazon lowered again to $240.79

Roland Chung
11-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Josh,

I just saw your message, but the price came up as $318. Did I miss the boat or is there some "secret handshake" to get this price?

RC

Dave Sweeney
11-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Look to me like that $240.79 price is for the motor only.

Paul Johnstone
11-27-2007, 1:23 PM
About that review.. I usually take about 7-8 passes when I do a raised panel on the router.. I'm just not in that big of a hurry. I assumed everyone else did the same.

Josh Youngman
11-27-2007, 3:13 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-75182-Variable-Speed-Router/dp/B0007SXHXM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1196194332&sr=8-1

it is for the motor only (for use in a router lift). If you need the base ebay has them for 5 or $10 often.

Chris Barnett
11-27-2007, 4:09 PM
Tools-Plus has the PC 7518 with the base for $289, where I purchased mine a few months back. This is about $50-60 cheaper than just the motor from Amazon back then so I opted to get the base too, for less dinero :p.

Chuck Burns
11-28-2007, 2:14 AM
I've got a PRL on order from Woodpecker; in fact it just shipped today. I got the one for the Milwaukee 5625 from Amazon that just got dropped off today. I played with it today; what an animal. I was amazed at how quiet it is especially at 10000 rpm. At 22000 it was substantially quiter than my old Milwakee router.

As to the PRL, WP tells me that the 16 pitch is by par the most popular. I was concerned about the time it took to crank it up and down to change bits and asked if I could use an old cordless drill to raise and lower it. They said that all it took was to cut the "L" off of a 3/8 hex wrench and chuck it in the drill and that that was what most of their customers did. The PRL looks far beefier than the QuickLift. The rods are much thicker on the PRL, they are spaced much further appart and are 180 degrees apart as opposed to being next to each other. Design wise it doesn't look to me like the PRL and QL are in the same league as far as strength and stability go. There just seems to be too many design compromises in the QL.

Gary Keedwell
11-28-2007, 8:19 AM
I've got a PRL on order from Woodpecker; in fact it just shipped today. I got the one for the Milwaukee 5625 from Amazon that just got dropped off today. I played with it today; what an animal. I was amazed at how quiet it is especially at 10000 rpm. At 22000 it was substantially quiter than my old Milwakee router.

As to the PRL, WP tells me that the 16 pitch is by par the most popular. I was concerned about the time it took to crank it up and down to change bits and asked if I could use an old cordless drill to raise and lower it. They said that all it took was to cut the "L" off of a 3/8 hex wrench and chuck it in the drill and that that was what most of their customers did. The PRL looks far beefier than the QuickLift. The rods are much thicker on the PRL, they are spaced much further appart and are 180 degrees apart as opposed to being next to each other. Design wise it doesn't look to me like the PRL and QL are in the same league as far as strength and stability go. There just seems to be too many design compromises in the QL.
I remember reading a thread on the QL and the design issue. Someone had sent their's back...but it got resolved and the customer was happy. But to be fair...I haven't heard about any problems with the QL recently.
Gary