PDA

View Full Version : Drill Doctor???

mike malone
12-03-2003, 1:49 AM
hi guys.
I figure i must have about 5 lbs of old drill bits lying around the shop ...in bad need of sharpening.
Has anyone tried the sharpening systems such as Drill Doctor or others? Are they worth trying??
thanks
mike

Wes Bischel
12-03-2003, 2:09 AM
Mike,

I have had the middle model (500 I think) for about a year now and can say I like it. I have seen other threads on DD and it seems that the people who know how to sharpen freehand hate them. Those of use that never learned, like them. It does take some time to get the feel for it and understand what each step is doing (at least for me) but once you get going it becomes second nature. I have also read that the lowest price model is not worth the time or expense, and the 750 has all the bells and whistles that some don't need.

FWIW

Wes

G.C. Wagner
12-03-2003, 8:16 AM
hi guys.
I figure i must have about 5 lbs of old drill bits lying around the shop ...in bad need of sharpening.
Has anyone tried the sharpening systems such as Drill Doctor or others? Are they worth trying??
thanks
mike

Hi Mike,

I also have the middle model of the Drill Doctor. I love mine for the fact that it's drop dead simple to set up the bits and sharpen them. I had to read the instructions probably more than you "normal" people out there but that was probably because it seemed to easy to be right.

I know how to sharpen bits freehand but since I don't see as well as I did 40 years ago, it's just too much trouble to me. Besides, the DD is really quick. You'll run through your 5 lbs of bits and call your buddies to bring their dull bits around so you can show it off like I did.

Gerry

Mike Leonard
12-03-2003, 8:26 AM
Mike,

I don't own a Drill Doctor but I did have the opportunity to use a friends a couple of weeks ago. I was impressed with it. A Drill Doctor is now on my Christmas list.

Tyler Howell
12-03-2003, 9:24 AM
I like my DD. Wish I could do Brad drill bits with them. I've been even touching-up new bits out of the package.

TJH

mike malone
12-03-2003, 5:29 PM
Mike,

I have had the middle model (500 I think) for about a year now and can s
Wes

thanks all for your input...
doesn't seem to be a bad word about it.
there are many more models now:

http://www.drilldoctor.com/comparison_chart.htm

i've found the #500 w/vhs for $99 incl shipping at Toolking and pulled the trigger:

http://www.toolking.com/shop/index2mfg.asp?mfg=42

even the reviews on amazon ($109) are all positive.
best
mike

Wes Bischel
12-03-2003, 6:19 PM
Holy Moly! They're breeding! When I received it as a Christmas Present, there were only three models!

Wes

mike malone
12-03-2003, 6:46 PM
Holy Moly! They're breeding! When I received it as a Christmas Present, there were only three models!

Wes

hey wes
LOL
it might have something to do with the rabbits (sic) in the other post??
regards
mike

Lee Lamb
12-03-2003, 8:04 PM
Hi, Mike. If those five pounds of bits are of high quality then I would say to get the Drill Doctor. If they are of Chinese origin then don't waste your time or your money.

Like the others I have the 500 and have gotten a lot of use out of it. Before I retired I used to hit the used tool stores when I was on the road. I used to buy bags of high-end bits for $4-$5. A lot of these were new, never used (stolen from work?) but many still needed sharpening. I would sharpen 50 or so in the hotel room in the evening. It was cheaper than sitting in a lounge and I ended up with an awful lot of great bits. My Drill Doctor has paid for itself over and over. I used to be able to do a fine job freehand on a grinder but my eyesight isn't so hot anymore.

If you get one, practice with a 3/8" bit. It takes about an hour to get a feel for the machine.

The only thing I do not like about it is that it is made of plastic (oops, I mean some space-age polymer.)

Good luck.

hi guys.
thanks
mike

Bruce Page
12-03-2003, 8:04 PM
The 750 is on my Christmas list. I’ve hand sharpened all my life but nowadays I have a hard time with bits smaller than 3/16 - like G.C. said, the ‘ol eyes aren’t what they used to be.

I once shook hands with Pat Boone and my whole right side sobered up. — Dean Martin

Jim Young
12-03-2003, 8:33 PM
I've been looking at them too. There is one on my Christmas list also.

mike malone
12-03-2003, 9:30 PM
I've been looking at them too. There is one on my Christmas list also.

if you intend to buy locally, Lowe's is offering a $20 gift card with the purchase of a drill doctor. Actually ALL their "rebates" are now "gift cards", except for Delta stuff.

see:

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=frameSet&url=lowes.rebateform.com

mike