PDA

View Full Version : Hinge Recommendation

Nicholas Lagios
02-13-2007, 8:18 PM
I am going to be making an assortment of shop cabinets and I have some old cabinet doors that my dad had hanging around in his garage. I want to use a hidden hinge (e.g., blum) to mount the doors to the cabinets, but the doors are only 1/2" thick and it appears that the minimum thickness for Blum hinges is 5/8".

Any suggestions???

Thanks

luc gendron
02-13-2007, 8:43 PM
Hello,

Since they will be shop cabinets and if you truly want Blum hinges, I suggest gluing a 1/4'' block at the hinge placement, I can't see any other option.

wayne ateser
02-14-2007, 11:26 AM
I am going to be making an assortment of shop cabinets and I have some old cabinet doors that my dad had hanging around in his garage. I want to use a hidden hinge (e.g., blum) to mount the doors to the cabinets, but the doors are only 1/2" thick and it appears that the minimum thickness for Blum hinges is 5/8".

Any suggestions???

Thanks
wont work. the bore depth for the door is over 1/2". You would have to glue on some rail thickness to all the doors all the way around.

glenn bradley
02-14-2007, 11:36 AM
There are surface mount 'hidden' hinges but they steal more room from the inside of the cabinet than the standard kind. I use a hinge that doesn't rob me of storage space.

Here's your surface hinge.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10765

Lee Schierer
02-14-2007, 12:43 PM
I never tried this so it may not actually work.

What about mounting the blum hinge backwards?? Mount the part that normally goes inside the cabinet on the door and the part that goes on the door in the side of the cabinet. Surely the hinge can't tell which way it is mounted. Try it on a couple of pieces of scrap and see how it works and you can also figure out the proper spacings.

Steve Clardy
02-14-2007, 1:11 PM
Someone out there makes a euro hinge with a 3/8" depth cup, specifically made for 1/2" thick doors.
Can't remember the brand though:confused:

Edit. Grass TEC 864 works on 1/2 to 3/4 doors

http://www.wooddigest.com/pdf/hinges.pdf

Nicholas Lagios
02-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks everyone...you've provided some good ideas.