PDA

View Full Version : Some Primitive Finishing

Bill Brady
02-13-2007, 7:53 PM
I have attached some photos of my projects and the finishing I use. I finished all the pieces with a distressed finish.

The dry sink has two paint colors and then a top coat of stain to finish it and age it.

The kitchen table is a basic design I have used to make all shapes and sizes of tables. The chairs are from the dining room they were refinished to get the look. The dining table and the kitchen table can be put together for added seating.

Bill Brady
02-13-2007, 7:56 PM
The kitchen cabinets are finsihed with the same technique as the furniture. Our contractor did the blue when we built the house and I added the creme this fall. They are all stock unfinished Oak cabinets.

Glen Blanchard
02-13-2007, 10:47 PM
That's pretty cool Bill. What techniques do you use to get that look?

Bill Brady
02-14-2007, 4:35 PM
When finishing, there first is a layer of paint with sanding after that, with extra sanding on areas that should look worn. On some pieces I put a second layer of paint and sand that before staining. The worn look can be as much or as little as you like. I treated the table tops with poly for a little protection.

David G Baker
02-14-2007, 6:28 PM
When finishing, there first is a layer of paint with sanding after that, with extra sanding on areas that should look worn. On some pieces I put a second layer of paint and sand that before staining. The worn look can be as much or as little as you like. I treated the table tops with poly for a little protection.
Bill,
Sorta looks like my kitchen cabinets prior to my kitchen remodel. My garage is going to have a very distressed look when I get the old cabinets mounted.
David B

Per Swenson
02-14-2007, 7:54 PM
Bill,

You do a darn nice job at this technique.

I personally am not found of it, thats on me.

But I will say this, there is a huge market for this look,

We have retail space rented to a purveyor of this style and

a piece remains in the window no longer then a week.

(at a extraordinary price)

Something you might consider, 'cause yours is just as good.

Per

Corey Hallagan
02-14-2007, 8:48 PM
Very nice job.... I think there is a fine line between making a distressed finish and a junky finish. You do a great job!

corey