PDA

View Full Version : how important is a beam extensioner?

Bernd Auler
02-13-2007, 6:51 PM
Hello,

as far as I know all Epilog lasers that are 12 x 24 or bigger have a beam extensioner.

When I asked ULS they anserwed that it will only come with the HPDFO-lense on their machines.

Can you tell me how important the beam extensioner is in regular use? Does it really improve power (on the whole area) and make the beam more equal everywhere on the area?

Best regards

Bernd

Joe Pelonio
02-13-2007, 7:03 PM
As I understand it the Epilogs have a beam expander, a beam straightener, and combiner that they call their "Radiance Optics Technology". With a good tube with most materials and everything adjusted right there's very little if any difference in the quality of the engraving and cutting over the entire work area. I don't think it's a power issue as much as equal beam. It's very important if you want to use the whole table often.

I can't comment on whether other brands have similar features, or if they show diminished quality toward the far reaches of the material since I've never used anything else.

Rob Bosworth
02-14-2007, 12:36 PM
I believe what we are discussing is getting a laser beam to cut equally at any point on a motion system. A laser beam comes out of the laser and is usually considered to "expand" the further it gets from the source. (I won't go into near field and far field today.) As the diameter of this beam changes, you will see a difference in performance when laser processing on your material. If you collimate your beam, or make it so it is the same size diameter all over the table, your focused beam will be more consistent and cut quality will be more consistent.

Some lasers are more convergent than others. So some lasers have to have a collimator or telescope where others do not have to use one to achieve satisfactory results. Usually, the longer the beam path, the more sensitive the system will be.