PDA

View Full Version : Phase two of a bowl project I posted earlier...

Wolf Kiessling
02-13-2007, 5:18 PM
This is phase two of the 13 X 12 inch catalpa bowl I started several months ago. Previously I posted the completed phase one which is an Indian head surrounded by a mandella.

This wolf head is located directly opposite the Indian. Again, no kind of finish has been applied to this piece. That will be done when all four phases are complete.

The wolf head turned out to be somewhat problematic as I had never done one in relief before. Matter of fact, I had never done any type of animal in relief. Eventually I figured it out and will have an easier time of it if/when I do more animals in relief. All in all, I think it turned out okay. The eyes were painted with acrylics but the remainder was done strictly by pyrography. This was necessary in order to achieve the texture that I desired.

If you wish, feel free to criticize or comment…………

Tom Sherman
02-13-2007, 5:21 PM
Wolf this is very cool, well worth the wait.

Daniel Heine
02-13-2007, 5:23 PM
Wolf,

That is a beautiful work of art. Very nice. What kind of a burner do you use?

Thanks,
Dan Heine

John Miliunas
02-13-2007, 5:33 PM
Wolf, I've said it many times before and I'll say it again: You sir, are a true artisan! I'm looking forward to the remaining phases! :) :cool:

Gary Herrmann
02-13-2007, 6:08 PM
Wow. I can do flat work, and I can turn a bit, but I can't do that. Very impressive.

John Hart
02-13-2007, 6:33 PM
Impressive Wolf! For some reason, I thought you expected this phase to take a bit longer. A delightful surprise. Your work is one of the things I look forward to.:)

John Hart
02-13-2007, 6:34 PM
By the way...one more thing....Your detail on animal hair looks like you've been doing it all your life. I just want to touch it!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2007, 6:36 PM
Awesome Wolf. Very nice work.

Wolf Kiessling
02-13-2007, 7:52 PM
Wolf,

That is a beautiful work of art. Very nice. What kind of a burner do you use?

Thanks,
Dan Heine

I use a Colwood...........

Wolf Kiessling
02-13-2007, 8:01 PM
By the way...one more thing....Your detail on animal hair looks like you've been doing it all your life. I just want to touch it!!

For me, a successful job of hair/fur, or feather, detailing is when you look at the piece and just want to touch or stroke it.......

As far as you are concerned then, John, the fur detailing on the wolf was successful. Thank you............

Impressive Wolf! For some reason, I thought you expected this phase to take a bit longer. A delightful surprise. Your work is one of the things I look forward to.

I thought it was going to take a little longer also. I surprised myself.......

Again, thanks for the kind words......

Neil Lamens
02-13-2007, 9:14 PM
I'm a flat panel guy, who peaks in once in a while.......That's really COOL!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Very impressive wolf, Wolf! Nicely done!

Lou Morrissette
02-13-2007, 10:09 PM
True piece of art. Very well done.

Lou

Jonathon Spafford
02-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Gorgeous piece... that is a true piece of art. Would love to see that in person! What tools did you use to carve it?

Wolf Kiessling
02-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Gorgeous piece... that is a true piece of art. Would love to see that in person! What tools did you use to carve it?

Thank you, Jonathon. To answer your question, everything but the chain saw. First of all, the bowl was turned on the lathe. I say that because for some reason many people think my bowls are hand hewn. I don't know why, they are nice and smooth but I guess they are carved so heavily they just think I do the bowls by hand also. (One time, at a show, I told this lady that I scooped out a bowl with a sharpened spoon) I did use a recip carver extensively. Matter of fact, it is the first project I ever used a recip carver on. It just so happened I got a Wecheer carver, that fit my Foredom motor, as a door prize at the TWG show in September. Lucky thing because that chunk of catalpa was thoroughly dry and HARD. I've carved a lot of catalpa but this was more like carving pecan. Also made extensive use of several typhoon bits in conjunction with the Dremel. Anyhow, I also used three knives and just about every palm tool I own. My work positioner is too small to handle a piece of this size and weight so all of the work is being done in my lap. I used a couple of the long handled tools but had to push them because I couldn't use the mallet with the bowl in my lap. Of course, I also used the wood burner. All in all, I used the same tools that I used to carve the Indian head on the opposite side. Only difference, I did very little wood burning on the opposite side; mainly the feathers on the mandella.

Now I gotta get to work trying to figure out a pattern for phase three. Got a couple of ideas in mind..............