PDA

View Full Version : if a tree falls in the forest...

Jeffrey Fusaro
02-13-2007, 5:18 PM
can i cut it up and turn it?

we had a nasty ice storm last night/early this morning.

it is still raining/sleeting.

these photos are taken looking out our back windows.

our property ends just a few yards into the tree line.

beyond that, belongs to the developer who is building the homes. they said that we couldn't cut trees that we not on our property.

i'm hoping they are fair game, if the ice takes them down....

dunno wood, as far as the eye can see!

Bill Wyko
02-13-2007, 5:22 PM
It was 79 degrees here yesterday:p Not many trees in sight though.:(

Rich Stewart
02-13-2007, 8:21 PM
Damnned developers. Going to pave the entire planet. Says you can't cut but he will probably clear cut the whole woods. Make mulch. Used to be a lot of woods around here. Now there is houses. Sad.

Ian Abraham
02-13-2007, 8:48 PM
It's still his tree, no matter if it's horizontal or vertical :rolleyes:

But now you can offer to tidy up some of those nasty fallen trees for him, at a very reasonable cost to him ;) . Often it's all about HOW you ask :D

Cheers

Ian

Irvin Cooper
02-13-2007, 9:44 PM
Totally agree that it is in how you ask. Neighbor turner asked the developer in the adjoining division if he could have cut trees after chewing him out for paving the entire world....

I asked this past december if he minded if I pull the decent logs out of the burn pile and leave it better than I found it after he had the city come in and do some "cleanup". I now have a backyard, garage, and shed full of cherry 5-footers.

Its all in a little humility and common decency. (I still dont like developers, but he doesnt need to know that.... :) )

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2007, 9:58 PM
Jeffrey.....You really need to talk to the two silver tongued devils here.......John Hart or Jim Ketron......those two guys could talk a squirrel into giving up it's nesting tree in return for a bowl!:D

Jim Ketron
02-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Who Me?:D:D :D

Jon Shively
02-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Be careful of thinking because it is down it is available. In Indiana, there is no "bluebook" on prices of trees so generally a landowner that has had a tree illegally removed is asked the value of the tree. Of course this is based on emotion and generally is rewarded by the judge. After cutting firewood for the past 30+ years, it amazes me the size of the pieces turners use (very small, generally thrown on the burn pile). I do suggest approaching in the correct demeanor the tree's owner, and leaving it alone without prior permission. In a state or national forest, it is illegal to take wood from the forest floor without a permit. Remember the boy that made a dreamweaver for a president a few years back from a turkey or bald eagle feather and the uproar that ensued? Picked it off of the forest floor.

Jeffrey Fusaro
02-13-2007, 11:33 PM
since the earlier post, the ice has continued to pile up. a few large branches have already fallen off one tree in our yard. gotta keep an eye on what's left of the tree. it's a little too close to the house for my liking.

we were without power for about an hour, too.

i was in the middle of roughing a bowl, when the lights and the lathe went out. :eek:

luckily (obviously) the power has been restored. hope it stays on all nite. lots of folks without power in the greater cincinnati area, right now.

regarding collecting any wood.... the builder/develper is the same guy that built our home. they've got a nice team of folks working on the houses here. i'm sure if i ask him, he won't mind if i clean up anything that the storm brings down.

i just wish i knew one tree from the next. i'm lucky i can identify a tree when it has leaves.

all the schools are already closed for tomorrow.

i'll probably be working from home, too.

roads are covered with ice.

maybe i can finish that bowl i started.

Bill Boehme
02-14-2007, 12:14 AM
This is the only time of the year when it would be worth having a tredle lathe.

Bill

Dick Durbin
02-14-2007, 7:59 AM
i just wish i knew one tree from the next. i'm lucky i can identify a tree when it has leaves.

Jeffrey,

Get yourself a copy of National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees. It's less than $20 at your local Books-A-Zillion.