PDA

View Full Version : How to recenter a turning?

John Preston
12-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm pretty much of a square wood type guy when it comes to woodworking.

So, I start turning a couple of cherry lamps for a lady at work on my FREE craftsman tube lathe, with my FREE chisels, and after finding out I have to make it octogan shaped just to swing it over the tool rest, I rough out the lamp. While scraping and sanding the base end, I notice vibration on the top end. I look, and dang nab it all to heck, the center has burned into the wood and shifted. Yes, yes, I know, I should have bought that variable speed delta lathe (older style) with the three and four jaw chucks and I expect the live center that the local cabinet guy offered me for 1300$. But that seemed a little steep just for a couple of lamps I'm selling for 95.00.

Anyway, any good methods of recentering? The only way I can figure is to cut off the end (I have stock) or glue on a new end, and try to recenter using a 45 degree thingie for my square. I haven't had much luck in the past using that method, though.

PS. Shoud I have snapped up the Delta lathe? Oh, and it has a copy attachment also.

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-03-2003, 8:01 AM
Does the Craftsman lathe have a live center? If not, that would surely help...and be cheaper than a new Delta. :)

KC

John Preston
12-03-2003, 1:00 PM
Does the Craftsman lathe have a live center? If not, that would surely help...and be cheaper than a new Delta. :)

KC

Dead as a doornail, that's why it burned and moved. I haven't looked real closely, but I don't think the tail center is replaceable, but if it is, the Rigid should fit.

Wes Bischel
12-03-2003, 6:15 PM
john,

My old Craftsman has a dead center - a little cone with a sharp ring around it. It is a #1MT - yours may be a #2MT depending on age. I have found it needs to be tightened slightly as it bores (burns) its way into the turning.
Depending on your lathes age go over to the Old Wood Working Site and see if they have a manual posted. If it is newer, Sears parts online should have a diagram to ID the taper. Once you know what taper you have, shop around for a live center.

Wes