PDA

View Full Version : Dad's old plane

Randal Stevenson
02-13-2007, 3:40 PM
Since I picked up the sharpening stuff at the woodworking show, I've been busy. Dad was asking about me sharpening his plane blade, and I got to wondering about the plane itself.

It's a number 6, and it has a K K on the front. Any idea who made it? Is the blade worth sharpening, or get a better blade?

Thanks

Mike Henderson
02-13-2007, 4:43 PM
Probably a Keen Kutter. About the quality of a Stanley Bailey.

Mike

Jim DeLaney
02-13-2007, 4:51 PM
It's a Keen Kutter - probably made by Stanley. They're good planes - of equal quality to their Stanley counterparts. The original blade is okay - again equal to a Stanley - and will sharpen up nicely, assuming it's not pitted. A Hock or a Lie Neilson blade would be a significant improvement, but try the original blade first. It may be all you (or Dad) need.

Randal Stevenson
02-13-2007, 7:50 PM
Thanks all. I have a #5 and a #7 and been cleaning them up, and he wanted me to get his in shape since we loan back and forth. I am just used to Stanley and Sargent, and hadn't ever seen that one.

Now if I can find the other sizes I am missing.....

Dave Mount
02-14-2007, 9:44 AM
Randal--

The KK does stand for Keen Kutter, however those planes marked KK were made for Keen Kutter by the Ohio Tool Company, not Stanley. That said, they are equally serviceable as a standard Bailey plane made by Stanley.

Best,

Dave