PDA

View Full Version : New guy - turkey calls

Greg Curtis
02-13-2007, 2:31 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first post, and I am looking forward to learning more and more about turning and woodworking in general. I started making turkey box calls about a year ago and after some failed attempts and lessons learned, I finally made some really good sounding calls (pics below). The little one is for my son due in June. Now I need to make them more appealing to look at.

My next project is learning to make a slate call. We have an awesome lathe where I work, but no wood turning tools (it's a Jet metal lathe). I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but what is a good starter set to go with? I don't want to spend my life savings, but I don't want crap either. Can I get a decent set for around $150? I'm clueless about this so any help is greatly appreciated. I would also like any help/advice on how to turn a slate pot. I have slate on order, but I'm not sure how to make the sounding board or what size slate or glass should be used for the sounding board. Again, thanks for the help and I look forward to reading comments and getting to know the folks on this site better.

Greg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d122/bamaoutlaw/MVC-401F.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2007, 3:45 PM
Greg......Welcome to the Creek! Neat place to exchange information!

A lot of beginners have been buying a set from HF ......HSS for about $35 IIRC.

Meridian, MS..huh.......I was stationed at NAS there for 4 years. My youngest son was born there.

Again.....Welcome to the Creek!

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2007, 4:00 PM
Welcome Greg to SMC. As Ken said a good starter set is the Harbour Freight set for around $36.

Bonnie Campbell
02-13-2007, 5:22 PM
Hi Greg from a fellow Mississippian :) I know a lot wouldn't recommend the set, but PSI has a $25 mini set that has worked just fine for me. I use them for everything and have had them for almost two years making turkey pot calls and small bowls. In fact I'm going to be ordering another set so I've got sharp extras on hand.

As for sounding board size, small enough diameter where it'll fit with some side space easily. I make smaller pots than most (3" surface), my sounding board is 2.5" glass. I'm thinking it's a 1/8 thickness for a wood sound board.

Greg Curtis
02-14-2007, 8:43 AM
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

Bonnie, do you just leave a raised ring or post in the bottom of the pot when you turn it or do you glue something in after the fact? Is there a gap between the sounding board and the top piece of slate?

Bonnie Campbell
02-14-2007, 8:52 AM
I turn my pedastal when I make the pots insides. Lots easier than adding afterwards. As for the gap between the surface and sound board, the prevailing thought is gap the thickness of the sound board between. Of course to vary your sound you would need to vary the distance depending upon woods used. I'm guessing I've an average of a 1/4" gap between. Sorry I can't be more exact, I never measure anything, I just eye-ball it until it looks right to me :o I'll try getting a picture later to show the insides of one of my pots.

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-14-2007, 9:43 AM
If you can pick up this video! I just got done watching it and it covers it all.
http://www.budandbetty.com/prod.php?prod=howto_video

Greg Curtis
02-14-2007, 2:01 PM
Thanks!! I appreciate the help.