PDA

View Full Version : Laser engraver pricing...

Ed Davidson
02-13-2007, 2:29 PM
I'm new to this form, but not new to small-shop laser engravers. Never owned one, but seen many models in operation, going back to 1997. Actually, I've had it in my mind to buy one of these machines, like the Epilog Mini 24/35 watt model, for at least the past five years, but keep running into emotional and pocket book resistance.

Does anyone know why prices from most of the manufactures and distributors are kept so close to the vest?

Has anyone considered, or successfully pulled off a group-buy intended to capture a quantity discount?

And, is there any information source that provides a head-to-head comparison of the various manufacturer’s specs, prices, warranty, and any other useful metrics?

Frankly, all this price secrecy really turns me off.

Lee DeRaud
02-13-2007, 2:47 PM
Not sure what you mean by "price secrecy": when I was shopping for mine, I had no trouble at all getting prices. Most of the entry-level machines have the prices right on the web sites, but getting quotes for other configurations rarely took more than an email.

Jeanette Brewer
02-13-2007, 2:53 PM
Ed,

Hello! I'm not sure if you're referring to manufacturers' websites or if you're having trouble getting pricing from distributors.

IF your comments are based on the fact that the pricing is not published on mfg. websites, I can tell you that the manufacturers for whom we distribute expect us to disseminate pricing information. One of our laser manufacturers gives distributors the ability to set their own pricing; therefore, if said mfg. published a price on the website, it might or might not be correct for your particular area.

IF you're having trouble getting pricing information from your local distributor, I'd be surprised. Most of us are happy to provide that info right up front. If you'll provide your email address, I'd be happy to forward the Xenetech Laser price list.

I'd also be happy to forward an Epilog Laser price list but it may or may not be accurate for Colorado.

Hope that helps!

Joe Pelonio
02-13-2007, 3:23 PM
Since you live near Epilog you'd at least save some on the shipping, maybe even pick it up yourself. I never had any trouble getting prices from any of the vendors when I bought mine.

Neal Schlee
02-13-2007, 3:31 PM
Ed,

Get a written quote from each Mfgr, then pit them against each other. They all have wriggle room and generally want to beat out the others.

Neal

Ed Davidson
02-13-2007, 3:31 PM
Didn't mean to offend anyone, and I sincerely apologize if I did…

The question on price disclosure was not about having trouble getting a price; it was regarding the lack of ability to get a price anonymously and without a sales pitch. In other words, open and readily available published pricing for this type product is practically non-existant. I've seen two exceptions to this, both from distributors…Engravers Warehouse – Pinnacle, and CadGarage – VersaLaser. Even with these suppliers, the published pricing is not adequate to do a real comparison. Perhaps there is more published info available, and I’ve missed it.

It just seems to me that more open and informative pricing, and head-to-head spec comparisons would be very useful to both the casual and serious shopper, not to mention fostering healthy competition. Guess I’m just the suspicious type, thinking that when prices are not openly volunteered, there must a reason…I just can’t see how that is a good situation for anyone.

Honestly, I’m not being flippant or trying to start an argument…but I would like to know why the sales approach to this particular product is different than virtually any other tool sold to the public.

Dave Jones
02-13-2007, 4:54 PM
Most industrial equipment is sold through distributors who do not publish pricing. You have to talk to them to get prices.

If you read the posts here you'll discover that many laser distributors are willing to deal on the pricing. They will start by quoting what they want to get for the equipment, but once you start comparing units and decide which ones might work for you, you can always go back to the distributors and talk to them about giving you a break, or throwing in some extras with the deal. Some of them will deal, some won't. But in many cases the prices are not cast in stone, which is part of why they are not published.

Mike Null
02-13-2007, 5:27 PM
This is not altogether unlike buying a car.

Tom Cullen
02-13-2007, 6:44 PM
I agree with Neal,
I did just what he suggests and came away with what I thought was a very nice deal. I ended up saving $3000 and had them throw in a rotory device and some software. You have to shop around , get quotes and be up front in telling them you want a deal and are considering the competition to that aim. Most if not all will want your business and will work with you.

Mitchell Andrus
02-13-2007, 7:47 PM
I found that getting prices in writting from the big 3 was as simple as calling the local rep and asking for price quotes. Each faxed them to me. Apples to apples comparisons was easily accomplished in a few days.

If you are unclear as to your intended use, a less than solid quote is understandable. Also, some manufacturers have understandings with their distributors governing standing contracts, geographic restrictions, warehousing and shipping costs, warrantee upcharges, floorplanning of inventory, etc.

Rob Bosworth
02-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Neal Neal Neal. I guess it has been a long time and you just don't remember my physical stature. I have filled out since then. When I am sitting in a chair, there is NO MORE WIGGLE ROOM.

I would guess any manufacture, distributor, or compnay that specialies in the sales and support of used laser engraving machines will provide you with pricing on anything they carry. Just contact them, and they should be able to get pricing to you pronto.

But what are you actually getting when you have the prices. Are you actually comparing apples to apples? Can you compare a machine that is made for professionals to a machine that is made and sold as a consumable? If price is the most important thing in your buying decision, then buy from the company that advertizes that they have the lowest price machine on the market. It probably would be a perfect fit. IF you want to look at what machine and support organization is the best fit for what you are trying to accomplish, you are going to have to do your homework. When you have narrowed down what features you need for your applications, then you will be able to make a better informed decision on what you want to get a price on buying. The more information you have, the better the decision you will make on what best fits your needs. And you will probably end up paying about the same as what you thought your cheepest choice would be at the beginning.

Mike Hood
02-14-2007, 12:41 PM
My Pinnacle deal at Sign Warehouse (Joseph Alkhateib) was great in working up my deal. Ask him for a quote, fax it around and then come back to him for the closer. He beat every comparable price and feature I could get and then through in some extras. I went around to the others (Laserpro, Epilog, Trotec and Universal) and they bowed out. Even had one claim I was BS'ing him and said I couldn't possibly get the price I was getting (free shipping to boot). It wasn't cheap... but I feel like I got a great price... a great machine and even better customer service (more to come on that).

Mark Fitzmorris
02-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Ed,

I too found that the prices from some of the Laser companies were treated as state secrets! In fact when I was first looking into getting a laser the lack of pricing information made it very difficult to make an intelligent decision about the feasibility of adding a laser. Some companies were more forth coming with their prices such as Sign Warehouse which at least let me know what the ballpark was for laser prices. No pricing information was available for some of the other brands unless you called and requested a quote from them. I will say that Epilog never sent me price information (even though I had contacted the distributor for this area twice and requested prices) all I got was their sample package and literature on their machines but no prices. I even contacted the Company directly but they just sent the same sample package along with the name of the area distributor. Needles to say I do not own an Epilog, I figured if their prices were such a secret then I could not afford them! All the other companies were forth coming with pricing and, as others here have stated, they all seemed willing to negotiate. It took me a while to get apple to apple prices together on not only the engraver but also the "extras" such as software, air assist, blowers.... One of the most crucial concerns was support after the sale. The only way I had available to me to judge how good the support would be after the sale was to look at how forthright the company had been during the negotiation process. For me Jor-link Laser-Pro easily won my business because the area distributor was upfront on their pricing, honest about their machines capabilities and limitations, and very prompt with their responses to all of my questions or concerns. So far their after sale support has been outstanding so I am very happy with them!

Dave Jones
02-14-2007, 4:32 PM
When I contacted Epilog they sent me a sample pack too, along with the card of the local rep. I called him up and he gave me prices over the phone for every model, power, and accessory I asked him about. I then went around and compared the features of different brands and read the real-life experiences here and on other forums of people that had problems with each brand.

Needless to say I own an Epilog and am very happy with it.

Brian Robison
02-14-2007, 4:40 PM
I have an Epilog because one of my riding buddies sells them, I guess I didn't do a lot of home work on my choice. I don't think you can go wrong with the Epilog, the service has been good. I had a problem with mine when it was almost new and Epilog overnighted a repalcement part. Good as new!
I requested information on their new fiber laser the other day.

James Fowler
02-16-2007, 5:00 PM
Ed

I have an Epilog Helix. The sales rep for your area should be Ken Crowe. After the purchase of my machine, he came by the house for a days worth of training. Instead of spending the scheduled two hours, he spent the whole day. I had plenty of different materials to try out. Even though I was familiar with the machine from working with previous laser systems, he went into alot of secrets and tricks to making things so much better. He has always followed up with a phone call every now and then just to check on things. He can be contacted right at Epilog and would be more than happy to set down over a cup of coffee and work with you. The whole Epilog team that I have delt with over the last year of owning their laser system has been nothing but above reproach. If you get the opportunity to go to the factory, it is well worth the 70 mile trip for you. James Stanaway and Mike Dean are great folks, they give great seminars and truely know the ins and outs of what you are looking for. I showed up at the factory unannounced just to check the place out, and James broke away from his busy schedule to take my wife and I on a facinating tour of the factory. He introduced us to everyone, not to excluded the folks that you would talk with in the tech service department. From the day that I purchased this machine, I have never second guessed my decision on the purchase of this fine machine.

V/R

Jamie Fowler