PDA

View Full Version : HELP-planing technique

Jake Helmboldt
02-13-2007, 1:31 PM
I have a recurring problem that I need to solve. When planing (smoothing) my stock ends up tapered, despite having jointed and planed the stock to uniform thickness (w/ power tools).

I have a vintage #4 w/ LN thick iron and I get gauze-thin, full-width shavings. I get a great, smooth surface, and I'm impressed w/ my plane's shavings, but if I plane a considerable amount I end up with a thickness variation of about .04" over the length of the stock. I didn't think to confirm this, but I believe it is the far end that ends up thinner and I assume I am applying more downward pressure towards the end of the stroke, but I'm not sure. The sole is lapped flat so I don't think it is the tool (but rather the tool using the tool):rolleyes: .

Jake

Steve Wargo
02-13-2007, 2:29 PM
More than likely you are applying pressure on the toe of the plane at the end of your planing stroke. All of the weight should be on the heel of the plane when you finish. Almost a rocking motion. Weight on the toe at the start of the cut... Weight on the heel (tote) when you finish your cut. Hope this helps.

Zahid Naqvi
02-13-2007, 2:55 PM
Yes, what Steve said. Plus with a smooth plane you shouldn't be removing much wood anyway. The flattening part should have already been done by machines or hand tools.

Jake Helmboldt
02-13-2007, 4:48 PM
That is what I suspected. I thought it odd that I was having to take so many strokes to get a consistent finish down the length of the piece, and I think it is because initially I was not taking as much of a cut at the start as I was towards the end.

Thanks, JH

Mark Stutz
02-13-2007, 7:17 PM
Jake,
I,too, have experienced this phenomenon. I now sometimes even take may hand off the front of the plane as I finish the stroke to prevent this. After a while the motion becomes easy as you shift the weight, or downward pressure from the front of the plane at the beginning to the rear tote at the end.

Mark