PDA

View Full Version : OK, what do you think of...

Barb Macdonald
02-13-2007, 1:09 PM
The Epilog EXT 24 x36 table, who likes it, who doesn't??
Pros/cons?
I'm having some issues.... with just about everything.
New Laser engraver, started up July 06

Thanks for any/all thoughts

Ed Maloney
02-13-2007, 1:26 PM
Barb - Do you have any specific trouble areas that you want to discuss?

Dave Fifield
02-13-2007, 2:31 PM
Barb, I have an Epilog 36EXT. I'm not having any issues at all with the work area/cutting grid. What specific issue are you seeing? Do you have your vector cutting grid the right way up? When I first got my new laser, I put it in upside down so I had an extra bit of aluminum peeking out from the rulers - took me a few minutes of head scratching to work out that (unlike my previous Epilog lasers) the grid only goes in one way up.

The only other issue I'm having is with manual focus - the up/down step size is too big and "uneven" - it's perfectly usable as-is, but it's not as good as it could be IMO. I'm in discussions with my rep about this one.

Perhaps that's what you should do - call your Epilog rep and get tech help from them directly?

Good luck,

Phyllis Meyer
02-13-2007, 3:47 PM
Hi Barb,

Welcome to the creek! Please call your Epilog Salesman, Tech Support, and if Epilog is reading this, they should be calling you ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have that machine, check your personal messages. Are you having any specific problems? We may be able to help if you let us know. I have had a few minor things along with some larger ones, perhaps if you write more details we can help before you get answers from Epilog!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Peck Sidara
02-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Dear Barb,

Most of our Canadien customers will contact their local sales rep for some assistance, few will call us directly. Engravers Express (all offices) are very responsive to technical matters. Have you tried calling the Mississauga office? Melanine or Michael should be able to assist. If you are unable to get in touch with them right away, please give our tech team a call at 303.215.9171. When calling, it's best to be at the machine so we can do some trouble-shooting. If long distance calling is an issue, reply with your phone number and we'll have someone contact you shortly.

Regards
Peck Sidara
Epilog Technical Support

Barb Macdonald
02-21-2007, 9:41 PM
Thanks, Dave
I'm having alignment issues, currently, although the machine seems to know when I'm running tests, and when I have actual sold material in there, because I tried to make it screw up today, and it didn't, so I'm happy, but STILL! I have a "fading" problem with rastering text on lamicoid, I can do no more than one approx. 3"x 12" plate at a time, or else I have to auto-focus each individual plate. This is way, way, AFTER doing a couple of large jobs where I was rastering/vectoring 72 plates at a time, out of a sheet of 2'x 3' Lamicoid (total 4000 pieces, thank you to the customer that ordered, it paid great!). If I'd been having this problem then, I'd STILL be doin' the job! They've replaced my RF unit, and my periscope, after I'd done a large number of acrylic shapes rastered with text, and vector cut out. I noticed that the rastered images were fading, and that I needed more and more power. (New RF Unit and periscope, whatever they are) The x-axis still "thunks" on boot up.
My air-assist hose kept snarling up, too, what a silly design....
Anyway, Melanie (my tech girl) is coming out to see me next Monday, and I hope I'll be able to make some more cool stuff without worrying about whether I'll need to order twice the material, to account for "issues"
Nice wood work, by the way, on your site, I'm impressed! I'm still lasering what I have in the shop, acrylic, lamicoid, aluminum, but I look forward to spare time to try out more materials! I'm a rock-hound, and I'd love to try some leather stuff too.... Have a great Day!

Vicky Orsini
02-22-2007, 9:12 AM
Hey Barb. Can't help you with the Epilog issue (I have a LaserPro). I just wanted to say "Welcome!" from another Ontarian. :)

Dave Fifield
02-22-2007, 5:34 PM
Hi Barb,

It sounds like a heat/power problem with your laser. If the power fades during just one engraving, then you may have a power supply problem. I'm sure Melanie will be able to get to the root of the issue for you. Peck and his team are there to back her up too! From what I've seen on SMC and in my limited experience in dealing with them, they are very responsive indeed.

I haven't noticed any issues with the air assist hose getting snared on mine. Maybe yours isn't fitted quite right? Perhaps Melanie can solve this one for you....

Thanks for the kind words about my stuff! Let's see some photos of your stuff when you get time!

Cheers,