PDA

View Full Version : Searching Craigs List?

Alan Mikkelsen
02-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Is there any way to do a national search on Craigs List, or am I stuck with searching individual cities? Thanks.:confused:

Brad Knabel
02-13-2007, 1:37 PM
Try:

http://crazedlist.org/

You can search nationwide, regionally or select individual cities.

The interface to find tools might be slightly confusing the first time you use it. First enter your search term and then pick what area you want to restrict your search to. Then choose "sale/wanted" from the popup list and you can then restrict the search to tools/musical instruments, etc. and restrict the price.

It's a pretty handy tool.

Brad Knabel
02-13-2007, 1:59 PM
hmmm...well I used this site a couple of days ago and everything worked fine. It looks like CraigsList is giving them some trouble and the search results aren't really useful right now. I hope they can work this out. It was useful when it worked...

Bob Aquino
02-13-2007, 2:37 PM
Is there any way to do a national search on Craigs List, or am I stuck with searching individual cities? Thanks.:confused:
Given the nature of most craigslists posts, I dont know if searching nationally will do much. Most people selling on CL arent going to ship their stuff so unless you are going to drive and pick it up, whats the point?

There is a way to automate a multi site search if you use firefox as your web browser with tabs. To do it in firefox, you need to create multiple tabs. On each tab go to a different craigslist location and search a category or search for a keyword. When the results come up, create a bookmark. Now when you are all done, take all those bookmarks and save them in one folder via manage bookmarks. Next time you want to search, go to that folder and select "Open all in tabs" at the bottom. That should be all it takes.

frank shic
02-13-2007, 4:13 PM
google: (desired tool) craigslist

but bob's right about the locality of the whole thing. it doesn't do much good to find out there's a hawk panel master 2 that's going for $1500 in dallas, texas when you live in walnut creek, california like i do!

i have had a success story with a retiring cabinetmaker located in oregon who was selling a number of items. i first took the leap of faith and sent him a check for a melamine saw blade. after i got it, i sent him another check for hafele's zentrix drill jig, a bosch drill, several confirmat screws and a set of firmus right angle clamps.

Pete Brown
02-13-2007, 4:20 PM
For me, a larger search is helpful. I leave between Baltimore and DC, and would travel to VA, PA, DE, WV etc. for something I really wanted.

Pete