PDA

View Full Version : Verizon DSL

Chris Rosenberger
02-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Does anyone that has Verizon DSL also use there Verizon Internet Security Suite? If so. What software does it include? Verizon does not give much information on their website. It costs $4.99 per month for use on up to 3 PCs.

Chris

David G Baker
02-13-2007, 3:51 PM
Does anyone that has Verizon DSL also use there Verizon Internet Security Suite? If so. What software does it include? Verizon does not give much information on their website. It costs $4.99 per month for use on up to 3 PCs.

Chris
Chris,
A friend ordered what he thought was Verizon DSL. It was actually high speed dial up and not DSL at all. True DSL is not available in many places so they have used a little deceptive advertising to gain customers. The high speed dial up is faster than regular dial up but it is still dial up. On DSL you can be on line and talk on the phone at the same time.
Unless things have changed in the past 6 months their Internet access is as I described above unless it is in an area that has DSL available, then the price is probably much higher.
David B

Jeffrey Makiel
02-13-2007, 9:52 PM
I use Verizon DSL. They offer an MSN Premium browser and I believe they offer free McAfee antivirus with their DSL subscription.

Also, the IT folks at work do not recommend "internet suites' because they see too may problems with them. As for me, I use McAfee (via my own subsription...not from Verizon) and ZoneAlarm firewall (free version) from ZoneLabs.

-Jeff :)

Jim Becker
02-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Verizon DSL...yes (until fiber is lit...) Security Suite. Negatory! I will no longer use McAfee or Norton products on my personal machines. They are major cycle pigs. AVG and ZoneAlarm for me.

David G Baker
02-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Zone Alarm Security Suite for me and Charter Cable High Speed Internet. Tried Norton and McAfee, by them selves did ok early on but caused conflicts as the Internet grew and Windows upgraded. Now I wouldn't think of trying them again. Just my experience.
David B

Mark Pruitt
02-14-2007, 9:21 AM
I have Verizon DSL. I never even took a serious look at their security suite. I've used Norton for years and wouldn't think of using anything else. It's important that it stay updated, whatever you use. Good programs can be set to update automatically at user-specified intervals.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-14-2007, 10:33 AM
One of my computers suddenly had its McAfee Viruscan suddenly disapper. However, I would still get the McAfee 'Security Center' console which led me to believe all was fine. In the end, I was running the machine without virus protection for over two months. I was also unable to re-install Viruscan.

Long story short, I reinstalled the entire operating system and then was able to reinstall by McAfee software. However, during my demise, I learned that BitDefender is a pretty good anti-virus product. They have a package that costs $70 for two years for two machines. I think PC Magazine rated them highly.

Just a thought...Jeff :)

John Shuk
02-14-2007, 7:00 PM
Jim,
I can't beleive your fiber is still dark. By all of the schedules we have been working by it should be up and running. Might be local political issues holding it up.

Larry Zeiser
02-14-2007, 8:33 PM
I have Verizon and use a Apple computer. No need to worry about virus's and all the other weird stuff PC people have to worry about.

Jim Becker
02-14-2007, 9:38 PM
Jim,
I can't beleive your fiber is still dark. By all of the schedules we have been working by it should be up and running. Might be local political issues holding it up.
Yea, it was political. The negotiations with the township supervisor, didn't go smoothly last year as they wanted full coverage to happen faster than it could realistically happen and Verizon moved on to other townships. Not long after, the township unilaterally granted VZ a franchise (necessary for the video) as reported in the press, but it's never appeared on VZ's site. I think there was a little more conduit work done nearby but I don't know if they've pulled anything through those runs. It is pulled on my poles, but as you say, none of the fiber distribution components have been installed nor the terminals along the right-of-way. I almost had hope the other day, but they were just replacing an ornery piece of 300 pair coper... The local VZ lineman is itchy for FiOS, too...he lives just a little way up the road in the township and is as frustrated as I am!

But at least it doesn't appear to be as ugly as the situation in Middletown Township in Lower Bucks!

Paul Downes
02-14-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm yeller with envy. I just switched to verizon for my cell use, but don't think there is any DSL lines at that rate where I live. I can get DSL through the local fifedom teleghone co. , but they charge $49. per month. I sure wish there was some competition for them.

Jim Becker
02-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Yea, that's a bummer, Paul. My VZ 3mb/768k DSL runs $29.95 per month plus a couple bucks for taxes with a one year commitment.

John Shuk
02-15-2007, 8:37 PM
As a disclaimer I work for Verizon and this may seem like a sales pitch. I'm not trying to sell. I am absolutely amazed at the quality of the video product we are offering. I have Sattelite and have always been happy with it but Verizon video is amazing. My town is not on the schedule for quite some time so I won't be getting FIOS myself for quite some time.Too bad they dumped the "Wild things are happening" AD campaign when they merged last time. It has finally come true.

Jim Becker
02-15-2007, 8:41 PM
John, when you can distribute the video with much less compression than other formats, it's going to be "really nice", especially the HD. FiOS offers that 'cause with the glass, you can just use the bandwidth you need. And the fact that they use a separate wavelength (outside of VOD) from the Internet and phone connections means they run full bore, too. Can you tell I'm anixous? :D

John Shuk
02-15-2007, 8:58 PM
I've been installing OC192 rings to carry the video. For those wondering what that means it carries just under 10 Gigs per second. Can you say bandwidth?

Chris Rosenberger
02-15-2007, 9:37 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I am now using McAfee Virus & Firwall. These are included at no extra cost with the Verizon/MSN Premium. I have been having some problems with McAfee. Sometimes the virus program does not start when I startup my computer. I also keep having to verify my account with McAfee. I can never log in & they have to email me a new password. Verizon keeps sending me emails about there suite. I guess I will stick with McAfee for a while longer.