PDA

View Full Version : Titan or Stronghold?

Dario Octaviano
02-13-2007, 11:26 AM
I am about to pull the trigger for a bigger chuck since I only have a Talon with #2 now.

IF price is not an object and I can have either:

Nova Titan w/ 130mm Jumbo jaws
or
Oneway Stronghold w/ #4 Tower jaws

....which one is a better choice?

Honestly I am leaning towards the Stronghold but need to verify if my choice is right.

Thank you.

Gordon Seto
02-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Dario,

Both are good choices.

I like the faceplate rings with Nova chucks. I can leave the chuck on the lathe all the time. On the initial reverse, I don't have to take the faceplate ring off immediately. I can still use the tailstock. If I can't make up my mind, I can still flip the blank back and forth to change design.

I already have several Nova chucks, so my choice is obvious.

Gordon

Mark Pruitt
02-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Dario,
Since you didn't say what you intend to do with a bigger chuck, I have no idea if this is appropriate to your situation or not. But, have you considered purchasing a set of #3 jaws or a set of Tower Jaws for your Talon?

Dario Octaviano
02-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Mark,

I will mainly use it for coring but will also use it for turning bigger vessels.

I don't want swapping jaws so I decided getting a bigger chuck. Also because LOML insisted I get a bigger chuck for safety. Now I don't want to argue with that and I aim to please :D

Mark Pruitt
02-13-2007, 2:06 PM
Mark,

I will mainly use it for coring but will also use it for turning bigger vessels.

I don't want swapping jaws so I decided getting a bigger chuck. Also because LOML insisted I get a bigger chuck for safety. Now I don't want to argue with that and I aim to please :D
Well, far be it from me to argue with the LOYL / aka SWMBO;) so my thinking would be, since you already have a Talon go with the Stronghold simply because you're already familiar with how the chuck operates. I will say though that several highly respected persons on this forum with tons more knowledge and experience than me have recommended the Talon over the Stronghold even for larger pieces. But again, if SWMBO says it then so it must be, eh?:rolleyes: ;) :D

EDIT: Out of curiosity I went to this site (http://oneway.ca/multi-media/coring_videos.htm) and watched some of the video of a 19" mega-bowl being cored, and doggone if he ain't using a Talon! Oh well...just sharing for interest's sake.

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2007, 2:13 PM
Heck Dario don't argue especially when you get the ok and you want to keep the LOYL happy. Have you checked the Vicmarc with the shark jaws on Craft USA? I have one and am quite happy with it. It will hold anything I have put on it. Otherwise I would go with the stronghold since you have the talon.

Andy Hoyt
02-13-2007, 3:02 PM
EDIT: Out of curiosity I went to this site (http://oneway.ca/multi-media/coring_videos.htm) and watched some of the video of a 19" mega-bowl being cored, and doggone if he ain't using a Talon! Oh well...just sharing for interest's sake. And guess what, Mark?

That's none other than Dave Lancaster in the video, your new favorite judge:D

Rich Souchek
02-13-2007, 4:31 PM
[quote=Bernie .... Have you checked the Vicmarc with the shark jaws on Craft USA? I have one and am quite happy with it. It will hold anything I have put on it....[/quote]
The biggest jaws Vicmarc offers for their 5 1/2" chuck is a 5" smooth dovetail set. You mention above the Teknatool shark jaws on this chuck.
Is this another chuck where various different makers jaws will fit on it?

Rich S.

Hilel Salomon
02-16-2007, 9:25 AM
Dario,

Having just sent you a PM, I should have seen this post earlier and included my comments in it. I have several strongholds and a Vicmarc. The stronghold is reputed to have the absolute strongest grip of any chuck (although many of the articles were written before the Titan came out) The problem with almost all of them is that the jaws you get are unique to each chuck. Also the Stronghold is said to have less repeatability??? You might want to read the following article http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russ7.shtml which goes over chucks. If you decide to get a stronghold, there is a dealer in the DC area who gives discounts to AAW club members and often has great deals on jaws. I'll be happy to give you his email address in a PM. I don't think that you can go wrong with either a stronghold or a Vicmarc. Lot s of luck, Hilel.

Dario Octaviano
02-16-2007, 9:57 AM
Hilel,

Please do give me the contact info and lets see if he can beat the price I got. It is only from eBay and the price is $255.00 (plus $11.00 s&h) for a Stronghold w/ insert and #4 profiled tower jaws.

Thanks!

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2007, 10:04 AM
The biggest jaws Vicmarc offers for their 5 1/2" chuck is a 5" smooth dovetail set. You mention above the Teknatool shark jaws on this chuck.
Is this another chuck where various different makers jaws will fit on it?

Rich S.

Sorry Rich I meant the Cup Jaws. Vic also has the 2 step Jaws and Dovetail Jaws. I have the Cup and Shark jaws. There is nothing I haven't been able to hold and I have turned some 13" to 17" bowls plus big HF's with no problem.

Jim Becker
02-16-2007, 10:59 AM
I happen to like the jaw designs of the OneWay chucks...so when I buy a large chuck for "big work", it will likely be a Stronghold to compliment the Talon I own and enjoy using.

Mark Cothren
02-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Dario, I haven't used either of the chucks you mention... but I doubt you'd regret owning either of them.

I don't core, but I've turned some relatively large blanks... a few 75-80lb blanks that I chucked up with my SNII using the Power Jaws and a 5" faceplate ring. I have not had any issue at all with this setup. Just FYI...

Dick Strauss
02-16-2007, 1:23 PM
Dario,
My buddy and I use the McN coring tools on his PM3520. We have cored pieces as large as 18" using the Stronghold/#3 combo without a single failure.

BTW-I bit the bullet and bought the Stronghold as my first chuck so I didn't ever have to upgrade. I don't have any regrets with my decision.

Hilel Salomon
02-16-2007, 2:05 PM
Dario,

In my ditzy way I may have addressed you by your last name in a separate email. I did send you the address and hope that he does well by you. He certainly has done well by several members of the Columbia turners club (Palmetto) and the VA (CVA) club.
Good luck with this and everything, Hilel.