PDA

View Full Version : Paint a turning?

Keel McDonald
02-13-2007, 7:38 AM
I am considering turning a lamp for my daughter's room. The thing is, LOML would like it to be painted white. Any experience in this area? Would the best thing be to just spray paint it after turning, or can I finish it while it's still on the lathe, similar to finishing pens? Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Frank Kobilsek
02-13-2007, 9:26 AM
Keel

I have yet to spray paint an entire turning, but for the staining, carving, dying, burning, ebonizing, etc. I have done the lathe is a outstanding fixture to hold the workpiece. Mask up the lathe and the area and do your painting on the lathe.

Frank

Rich Stewart
02-13-2007, 9:40 AM
Use Holly for the turning. It's already white.

Keel McDonald
02-13-2007, 9:41 AM
Do you have any pics of holly? I don't believe that I've ever seen any (on the inside at least). I guess you learn something new everyday!

Use Holly for the turning. It's already white.

Rich Stewart
02-13-2007, 11:06 AM
I can't find the picture. It was a piece done by a feller named Hickory. Pure white, no grain. None that I could see in the pic anyway. I've never seen him post here but maybe he lurks and will answer.

Rich

Keel McDonald
02-13-2007, 11:29 AM
I did a search and found some holly pics, but I still would be interested in any others.

I can't find the picture. It was a piece done by a feller named Hickory. Pure white, no grain. None that I could see in the pic anyway. I've never seen him post here but maybe he lurks and will answer.

Rich

Gary Herrmann
02-13-2007, 12:30 PM
A friend of mine is going to give me a couple sticks, I'll try to remember to post. Heartwood Holly almost looks like ivory - its that white.

George Tokarev
02-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Two thoughts. First, bleach, second, "liming." For those who spent time in Uncle Sam's facilities, that limed oak is an example. http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/articles.html has some information on process and materials. The other process is pretty much your choice of chemicals, with information http://www.craftsman-style.info/finishing/007-bleaching.htm here and elsewhere.

Of course, if the lamp's already turned, neither may be appropriate, and you can paint it with some nice oil-based enamel - after sealing with shellac.