PDA

View Full Version : Queen Anne Plant Stand

Calvin Hobbs
02-13-2007, 7:23 AM
All,

Here is my attempt at turning....

My wife had been looking for a plant stand, so of course when she didn't find the right one I decided to build her one.

This design was adapted from a tilt-top table design in Nutting's Furniture Treasury Vol. III. Of course the dimensions were all changed and I s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d the design to accommodate the tall height (34") she wanted.

It probably would be called Queen Anne in style. It was a good opportunity to practice my turning skills and the sliding dovetails, which I have struggled with each time I have attempted them.

Material: Mahogany
Finish: Wipe-On-Poly (don't tell anybody please)
Time: Approx 16 hrs

Please let me know what you think! Thanks, Cal

Chris Barton
02-13-2007, 7:54 AM
You Hobbs boys have a gift! Very nicely done. I too would use poly on such a piece since my wife lacks the "conservation of size" gene and overflows all her plants.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-13-2007, 8:08 AM
Calvin, that's quite an 'attempt'! Last Saturday, the New Yankee Workshop made a very similar project, with a tilt top also.

Nicely done.
-Jeff :)

Roy Wall
02-13-2007, 8:29 AM
Calvin,

I like it...... No shame in using the wipe on poly......I've used it before and will use it again!:cool:

It looks Queen Anee to me!

Ernie Hobbs
02-13-2007, 9:04 AM
All,

Finish: Wipe-On-Poly (don't tell anybody please)

Please let me know what you think! Thanks, Cal

Calvin:

It looks nice. There's not shame in wipe-on poly. Although it isn't my favorite finish, when you need a good durable finish that you intend to put through some abuse, it does a good job. I caved and put it on my kitchen table after having to refinish it a couple of times over the years.

John Miliunas
02-13-2007, 10:23 AM
"Attempt" he calls it! Ahhhh, Calvin, that's way, way past "attempt"! Very nicely done and don't give the poly finish a second thought. The right "tool" for the right job! Well done. :) :cool:

Jerry Olexa
02-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Calvin: VERY nice..Did you dovetail the legs into the post. If so, How?...For me, that would be a challenge. I know Norm built a couple jigs to guide his router on the DT's on the legs and post of his stand..Great job. I won't tell anybody about the poly:) :D Boy, I'd love to see a pic of the legs attached to the center post from underneath..

scott spencer
02-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Nice work Mr. Hobbs!

Calvin Hobbs
02-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Calvin: VERY nice..Did you dovetail the legs into the post. If so, How?...For me, that would be a challenge. I know Norm built a couple jigs to guide his router on the DT's on the legs and post of his stand..Great job. I won't tell anybody about the poly:) :D Boy, I'd love to see a pic of the legs attached to the center post from underneath..

Jerry,

Thanks for your comments. I'm in general not a fan of jigs if I can do something by hand, however this probably would have warranted it. I cut the sliding dt's with a saw and cleaned up with chisels. My fit was less than ideal.

As you can see in the picture, I'm an advocate of leaving things a little less than perfect on the bottoms, backs, etc. I like seeing the tool marks, plus it's less work.

Cal

Dave Anderson NH
02-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Well done Calvin!! The piece does not look stretched to me. There were lots of small stands made with those types of proportions. Check out Albert Sack's The New Fine Point of Early American Furniture or New england Furniture at Winterthur: Queen Anne and Chippendale. You'll see plenty of examples in those books under different names. As for using poly, on something like that , it only makes practical sense. Great job.

Don Bullock
02-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Excellent job. Very well designed and crafted.

Al Killian
02-13-2007, 7:42 PM
You SUCK(j/k) If that is a attempt then I stand no chance of any of my projects ever makeing out of my shop. Conrats on a job well done. That should help keep in good graces with the wife.

Neil Lamens
02-13-2007, 9:09 PM
I was just thinking, while doing some clean-up today, that I still have a few pieces I need to do, and one was a high boy wine rack:) , then the Chippendale style came to mind, then .......the work of those Hobbs boys over at the Creek visioned by.........then tonight.....alittle Queen Anne. Somebody said it best..."those Hobbs boys get'er done".

Jerry Olexa
02-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Jerry,

Thanks for your comments. I'm in general not a fan of jigs if I can do something by hand, however this probably would have warranted it. I cut the sliding dt's with a saw and cleaned up with chisels. My fit was less than ideal.

As you can see in the picture, I'm an advocate of leaving things a little less than perfect on the bottoms, backs, etc. I like seeing the tool marks, plus it's less work.

Cal

Calvin: Thanks for the picture. I'm even more impressed!! That underside shows your high level of craftmanship ..And you did it all by hand!! You should be proud...I plan to make one of these stands in the future and will use this thread for reference. Last question @ risk of being a PITA: How did you hold the circular post firmly while accurately cutting in the DT's? Excellent work...

Calvin Hobbs
02-14-2007, 9:55 AM
Calvin: Thanks for the picture. I'm even more impressed!! That underside shows your high level of craftmanship ..And you did it all by hand!! You should be proud...I plan to make one of these stands in the future and will use this thread for reference. Last question @ risk of being a PITA: How did you hold the circular post firmly while accurately cutting in the DT's? Excellent work...

Jerry,

Call me a minimalist, but I put the pedestal in a bar clamp, and put the clamp in a vise, and made sure it was tight enough not to spin. Never worry about being a PITA, I love to talk furniture, so much that I might be the bigger PITA. By the way, I liked your blanket chest, nice work!

Cal

Ken Fitzgerald
02-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Very well done Calvin! Very well done!

Jerry Olexa
02-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Jerry,

Call me a minimalist, but I put the pedestal in a bar clamp, and put the clamp in a vise, and made sure it was tight enough not to spin. Never worry about being a PITA, I love to talk furniture, so much that I might be the bigger PITA. By the way, I liked your blanket chest, nice work!

Cal

Sometimes, the simplest way is best...Thanks, Calvin. beautiful work. I'll try your method when its my turn:)

Dave Anderson NH
02-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Jerry, Calvin's technique for holding the pedestal in a clamp is the same one I use to hold a cabriole leg. It is nice and solid and for a leg, you can rotate it by very slightly loosening the clamp turning the leg and then tightening again.

Jerry Olexa
02-14-2007, 4:02 PM
Jerry, Calvin's technique for holding the pedestal in a clamp is the same one I use to hold a cabriole leg. It is nice and solid and for a leg, you can rotate it by very slightly loosening the clamp turning the leg and then tightening again.

Both you gentlemen do very fine work. I respect your results. Thanks for the tip!!