PDA

View Full Version : English Walnut natural edge

Mike Vickery
02-13-2007, 12:40 AM
The bowl is English Walnut and it is about 8.5 inches wide and 4 inches tall. The finish is Watco that was rubbed out by hand.

Critiques are alway appreciated.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2007, 12:42 AM
Pretty bowl...I like the finish and the color of the wood. Nicely done!

Ed Scolforo
02-13-2007, 6:11 AM
Good work on the NE, Mike. I like the color and the subtle swirl of the grain.
Ed

Mark Cothren
02-13-2007, 8:15 AM
Looks like a nice NE bowl, Mike. Good work.

Rich Stewart
02-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Nice bowl! Great shape and I like the hand rubbed look. Perfect for that piece.

Rich

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Great job on a nice bowl. I really like the hand rubbed finish.

John Miliunas
02-13-2007, 5:55 PM
Very nice looking piece, Mike and great job on keeping all the bark intact! :) (I always seem to have an issue with that part of it!:o ) :) :cool:

mike fuson
02-13-2007, 6:06 PM
Very nice work, but me being a new guy (compared to you guys) I have to ask a question, if this bowl was green why didn't the bowl split since it is thick? Every NE bowl I ever turned and tried to get the thick walled look split and cracked. If it was a seasoned piece the bark wouldn't stay on. I know there is a good explanation. I REALLY LIKE THIS PIECE;)

Keith Burns
02-13-2007, 6:13 PM
Very nice NE Mike !!! Great job for sure:) :)

Mike Vickery
02-13-2007, 6:29 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Very nice work, but me being a new guy (compared to you guys) I have to ask a question, if this bowl was green why didn't the bowl split since it is thick? Every NE bowl I ever turned and tried to get the thick walled look split and cracked. If it was a seasoned piece the bark wouldn't stay on. I know there is a good explanation. I REALLY LIKE THIS PIECE;)

Mike - the piece was turned green and returned once it was dry. To keep a piece from cracking you need to make sure to slow down the drying especially if it is thick like this one. Their are several ways to do this I DNA soaked this waxed it and wrapped it in eight or nine sheets of newspaper to help slow down the drying. I live in a very very dry climate and have never used English Walnut before so I wanted to make sure it dried as slowly as possible. Sometimes the bark will come off no matter what this one the bark was on pretty good but I soaked the transition between the wood and the bark several times with thin ca glue to help keep it on. I did this after the initial rough turning, and again after it was dried prior to final turning. I did loose some very small pieces of bark right at the transition between the wood and the bark anyways and filled them with black embossing powder and ca glue prior to final turning.

mike fuson
02-13-2007, 8:47 PM
Thanks for the explanation Mike. Some of what you said I knew but I'm just now getting back into turning after several years and I have forgotton some of the tricks of the trade. Thanks for the help.

Dario Octaviano
02-13-2007, 8:53 PM
Good job Mike! I too find keeping the bark intact very "challenging" (just being politically correct :D)

Corey Hallagan
02-13-2007, 9:37 PM
Very nice Mike!

Corey

John Chandler
02-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Good looking bowl.

Jonathon Spafford
02-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Super looking bowl... I love English walnut. Nice finish as well!

Glenn Hodges
02-14-2007, 8:52 AM
Mike you have made a beautiful natural edge bowl.