PDA

View Full Version : Vice question

Craig D Peltier
02-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Hi, Today I purchased a 7" quick release vice with wooden handle.I mounted it to a bench i made from plansnow.
I am primarily going to use it for holding wood to shave down and to sand.
My question is, should I mount wood guards on the inside of mouth to help from marring wood or do most just put a couple of blocks in there when they go to use it every time?

If I hard mount should I use a softwood like pine or hardwood like oak?
Also if i mount guards should they just be flush with the top of the vise or over the top, if so how much?
Okay last question should i countersink threaded screws from inside or should i send a lag bolt in from outside(obviusly not through)? The holes that are pre drilled in it are threaded maybe 1/4inch.

Thanks

Mike Heidrick
02-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Here is what I did with my 7" Wilton.

I used Lag screw from the bottom into a hard maple block that was glued and screwed to the underside of the bench. This block was made to bring the mounting base to the perfect spot so the faces of the vice were flush with the a[ron of teh bench.

I use Magnetic wooden inserts inside the vise when needed.

This is the vice I own (pic from woodcraft) with the inserts. Inserts are $30.

Pm me your email address and I will send the mounting instructions for this vice.

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/Family/web316.jpg

Craig D Peltier
02-13-2007, 5:53 PM
Here is what I did with my 7" Wilton.

I used Lag screw from the bottom into a hard maple block that was glued and screwed to the underside of the bench. This block was made to bring the mounting base to the perfect spot so the faces of the vice were flush with the a[ron of teh bench.

I use Magnetic wooden inserts inside the vise when needed.

This is the vice I own (pic from woodcraft) with the inserts. Inserts are $30.

Pm me your email address and I will send the mounting instructions for this vice.

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/Family/web316.jpg

Thanks, I have a 7" rockler quik release.Theres a cotter pin type spring that would prevent a wood guard to go all the way to bottom of the vice.The pin spins while u crank.
I wonder if they have these magnetic boards for my vice.I will look.
So should it be hardwood or softwood?
Thanks