PDA

View Full Version : 6" clear flex duct--Is this a good deal?

Jameel Abraham
02-12-2007, 9:13 PM
Seems like a good deal. I have Amazon Prime, so shipping is freebie. What is everyone paying for this expensive stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/JW1036-6-Inch-Clear-Reinforced-Collection/dp/B00005A1IO/sr=8-1/qid=1171332330/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-5860475-6931302?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Tim Pippin
02-12-2007, 9:19 PM
Amazon was the best price that I could find for 6" flex pipe. I don't think you can beat the price. Unfortunately finding fittings to convert from my 6" S & D pvc to the flex wasn't as easy.

Tim

Jameel Abraham
02-12-2007, 9:22 PM
I had a chunk that came with my ClearVue that fit right into a S&D coupling, but I guess that means it wont attach to a S&D pipe. How did you join the two?

Rick Cabot
02-12-2007, 9:37 PM
Jameel
The Amazon price seems to be a good deal. I purchased my 6" flex from Oneida as part of our cyclone installation and the price was 29.95 per 5' section. Probably not a very good deal, but it was convenient at the time and the quality was excellent. It was reinforced with copper wire and the wall rigidity met the needs of our 5hp system. Jet sells different grades of material. Just make sure that the advertised hose is made of high grade/rigid material that will hold up to your needs.
Regards, Rick Cabot

Al Killian
02-13-2007, 1:16 AM
Jameel, To hook the flex hose to the S&D you can heat up the end of the S&D pipe with a torch then shrink it with a clamp. Place the clamp on it and as you heat the pipe tighten the clamp until the hose slides over it.

Tom Pritchard
02-13-2007, 5:13 AM
Jameel, I just purchased a 10' length of 6" hose from Lee Valley for $45, so Amazon's price is a little better. Your free shipping is probably the deal clincher. Good luck!

Jameel Abraham
02-13-2007, 8:55 AM
Thats a good idea about heating the pvc. I'll try that. Amazon didnt say the grade of hose, I'll just have to take my chances I guess...

Burt Alcantara
02-13-2007, 10:09 AM
I've got the CV1400. I was originally going to buy R-4 flex hose but the supplier could not get stock so I went with Wynn, which after shipping was $149 for 20'x6". I use 2729 ducting but the Wynn would not fit in or over the the ducting. I tried all the standard methods: heating, slashing, twisting and voodoo. None worked but it does fit easily into any standard fitting, i.e., wyes, 22s, 45s, etc.

My understanding about R-4 is it will fit into (or over) 2729 ducting.

If possible, try to get a hose sample or a recommendation from someone who has the same ductiing as you.

Jim O'Dell
02-13-2007, 10:42 AM
I got my clear flex from Woodworkers Supply. Dave Laird from our forum works there. It was a tight fit over the S&D 6" and 4", had to use a hair dryer to heat it up...still a tight fit. I had to replace the flex on the bottom of my CV, could not get it to expand enough to go over the pipe. It seems like nice heavy hose, and I think it comes from Wynn Environmental, I just coudn't get it to go over the pipe. I'm very happy with the WS hose. Jim.

Sam Shank
02-13-2007, 2:26 PM
Unless I missed something, this item is not eligible for amazon prime.

paul aubin
02-13-2007, 2:38 PM
Shows up prime for me :) it is out of stock so that may be the issue

Jan Williamson
02-13-2007, 2:38 PM
I wonder how much you can heat pvc before you produce toxic fumes?

Noah Katz
02-13-2007, 2:56 PM
"heating, slashing, twisting and voodoo. None worked but it does fit easily into any standard fitting, i.e., wyes, 22s, 45s, etc."

Hmm, I've got the Wynn and the 2729 also, still unassembled.

Did you try heating the flex and twisting it in the direction that would unwind the embedded wire?

How do you seal it to the I.D. of the fittings?

Darl Bundren
02-13-2007, 9:18 PM
I got the 6" flex from Wynn and used 2729 for ducting. If you cut a length of snaplock ducting from one of the big box stores, it fits snugly inside the 2729 and inside the flex as well. I left about three inches of snaplock sticking out of the 2729. Drill two holes through the 2729 and snaplock insert and use short screws to hold it in place. I used diagonal cut pliers to snip off the parts of the screw that protruded into the 2729 to reduce snag potential. Then, slide the flex over the snaplock and hold that in place with a hose clamp. Wynn's hose clamps are pretty nice as they are designed to accomodate the wire coil inside the flex for a snug fit. I hope this helps. So far it has worked well for me.

Jim Becker
02-13-2007, 9:34 PM
You can take a little bit of sheet metal, make a cylinder out of it, slip it in the end of the PVC duct, let it expand to size and then tape it secure with foil tape. Your hose should slip over it relatively easily.

Chris Jenkins
02-14-2007, 11:32 AM
I too am strugling with fittings working. From what I have found it seems that standard snap lock HVAC from the BORG will fit inside of 6" Clear hose (mine is the JET), that is the crimped end will.

I went to Menards not to long ago and here are my findings

6" PVC S&D Fittings (wyes and the such) will obviously work with 6" S &D pipe.

You can also stuff HVAC into 6" S & D fittings. It is a tight squeeze but it works. What I like is that you can use the "Connectors" (Two ends crimped) or "Starts" (one end crimped one end straight) and put one end in the S&D pipe and flex on the other with a hose clamp. I would suggest caulking the Pipe to HVAC ends for a better seal.

Also you can stuff 6" Flex inside of the 6" PVC fittings. It's not easy and I question the "Seal," but it is do-able. I did it to connect 2 pieces of 6" Flex to each other.

I have not checked HVAC to 6" S&D Pipe or 6" Flex to 6" S&D Pipe as it has been wicked cold here and the pipe is only sold in 10' sections, which is outside by me.

As for right now I am using 6" flex straight off the a JET DC1200 to individual tools one at a time (as I have no pipe yet). The fittings on my Jointer and Router table are both homemade models where I used 6" Starter flanges (these have crimped ends). As for my TS and BS these have both 6" to 4" reducers on them with a "Connector" (dual crimped ends) on them. I added the "Connector" piece as the flex would NOT fit over standard ends of the HVAC pieces. I actually ripped my flex trying to get it on there. I do have a hose clamp on the flex hose and snug this down otherwise the DC has so much force that sometimes it will pull the felx off the HVAC connector if not snugged down. I keep an extra 5/16" nut driver by the tools so I can take these on and off quickly.

Hope that makes sense to everyone else?

Tim Pippin
02-14-2007, 8:31 PM
I've tried several ways to make the connection from S&D pipe to flex. You can heat the pipe in boiling water and then use a clamp to shrink the end down so that it will fit into the 6" Jet Flex. The problem is that the clamp will allow the pipe to buckle inward . I finally decided to use 6" snap lock HVAC pipe crimped on both ends as a splice between the two and screwed the HVAC pipe to the S&D pipe with sheet metal screws. The joint can be taped or caulked for an airtight fit.

Chris Merriam
02-15-2007, 9:09 AM
The borg 90 degree adjustable elbows will work to. Slip the smooth end inside the PVC and work the crimped end inside the flex. They are only a couple bucks a piece. Not 100% air tight, but can be wrapped with foil tape.