PDA

View Full Version : compressed air unit

Craig Hogarth
02-12-2007, 8:54 PM
How important is this accessory? Does it just make a project easier or just are some projects all together not possible without it?

btw, thanks to all who have helped me thus far.

Dave Jones
02-12-2007, 9:12 PM
It can make a big difference in the quality of cutting materials. There are some materials that flare up when either cutting or engraving, and you may need to avoid those all together without air assist. For the most common woods plus acrylics it gives a cleaner cut, but isn't needed for engraving. For certain oily woods, high glue content woods or plys, and some types of plastic, you could damage your lens without one.

Most lasers have the tubing in place and you just need a compressor. They start at around $50.

Craig Hogarth
02-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing, or maybe the wrong engraver.

The universal versalaser has a computer controlled compressor air unit for $1300 plus you have to buy an air dryer as well.

Gary Hair
02-12-2007, 11:10 PM

The universal versalaser has a computer controlled compressor air unit for $1300 plus you have to buy an air dryer as well.

Most people don't recommend buying the manufacturers accessory. You can buy a standard compressor and it will work fine. My laser has a fitting to connect an air line to and I hooked it up to a filter/regulator connected to my compressor. That way I could have my compressor at whatever setting I need and have the laser filtered and regulated to 30psi.

Gary

Mike Shauer
02-13-2007, 1:54 AM

The universal versa laser has a computer controlled compressor air unit for $1300 plus you have to buy an air dryer as well.

You really don't need the compressor from Universal. Any small compressor ($100 or so)will do. The Versa is already plumbed with a fitting on the back for air.

The Versa Laser is a really good first machine, the software is great to start then you can get an advanced software to make it as good as any out there.
Corel is enough to wrestle with to start.

I am glad now that I bought a VL 300, mine is a 30 watt and yes sometimes I would like more power. When the tube goes out I might look at upgrading to 50 watt. The really nice thing about the Versa is the 30 watt rebuilt tube is under $900.

Cheers, Mike