PDA

View Full Version : Swap meet

Dave Mcintire
02-12-2007, 8:50 PM
Gee, I was just wondering if there might be a swap meet this year?

Dave Fifield
02-12-2007, 9:24 PM
Where and when was it last year Dave?

Keith Outten
02-13-2007, 7:18 AM
Jackie and I hosted the last SawMill Creek SwapMeet in the Spring of 2005 at our home in Gloucester County Virginia. We had over 50 people attend and had over $2,000.00 in prizes that were donated by various vendors. I think everyone won something, when we ran out of tools Aaron Koehl started making Corian cutting boards for those who didn't win a prize.

Our Friendly Carpenter Dino was here and demonstrated his EZ System plus we had a few others volunteer...our own Ken Salisbury was kind enough to share his pen turning expertise and we did CNC Routing and Laser Engraving demonstrations.

Creekers visited us from as far away as Florida and a good time was had by all. I offered to host a second SwapMeet last Spring and announced it here on The Creek but there was zero interest so it was cancelled. Our second event was shaping up to be much larger, a two day Meet with a long list of vendors willing to send representatives to provide demonstrations. I made arrangements months ahead of time to secure the proper support but I failed to get any woodworkers to participate :(

I had hoped that the concept of SawMill Creek SwapMeets would catch on and we would see Members willing to host SawpMeets in their local areas. Understandably these events are a lot of work to put together but they are well worth the effort.