PDA

View Full Version : jointer comparison; apples to oranges?

Benjamin Dahl
02-12-2007, 8:50 PM
Based on John's write up of his recent purchase of a shop fox w1741 8" jointer I spoke with a dealer today about purchasing one. I currently do not have a jointer and have been saving for an 8" based on advice from this forum and other sources. The dealer also sells powermatic tools and said that the PM 54A might suit my needs just as well. I am a hobbyist who does some outside work for others increasingly. I have been relying on S4S or S3S but like the options a jointer would give me. The dealer was not trying to push me one way or the other and both machines are similarly priced. He said that one difference is that PM has a better warranty with in home service and probably better resale value, but that he has not had many issues with the Shop Fox in any case. Not sure if it is fair to compare but given this, would you go for 8" shop fox or the 6" PM?
Thanks,
Ben

Jim DeLaney
02-12-2007, 8:55 PM
Definitely the Shop Fox 8"! In this case, bigger is better.

glenn bradley
02-12-2007, 10:10 PM
I have a 6" and am saving for an 8" after only a couple years. Listen to the folks here. Skip the short layover at the 6" machine.

Jason Beam
02-13-2007, 12:01 AM
"You can do small things with a big tool but you can't do big things with a small tool."

My handy mantra for getting the bigger stuff :D

Kevin Blunt
02-13-2007, 12:29 AM
Agree with all the other folks that posted. IMHO this is a no brainer. Buy the 8" and be done with it. I would bet the farm that after you decided to buy the 6" PM it wouldn't be long And you'd be wishing you bought the 8".

I have heard this all way too many times. Do yourself a favor and buy the 8". You won't be sorry.

In all actuality, the 8" may carry a better resale because used 6" jointers are a dime a dozen because everyone selling is upgrading to an 8". Once people own the 8" very few ever get rid of them.

Mike Cutler
02-13-2007, 5:20 AM
Bigger is better.

I have a 6". I'm looking for a used 12"-16".;)

Benjamin Dahl
02-13-2007, 7:27 AM
thanks for the feedback. going with the 8" was my gut feeling and it seems to be the right choice.

Lars Thomas
02-13-2007, 8:46 AM
thanks for the feedback. going with the 8" was my
gut feeling and it seems to be the right choice.

Beyond a doubt. Lars