PDA

View Full Version : Thinner for oil based filler?

Bob Johnson2
02-12-2007, 6:45 PM
Not sure if this is considered a "finishing topic"...
I have some Pore-O-Lac oil based filler that I wanted to apply to a table top tomorrow and found that it calls for being thinned with Pore-O-Lac reducer as opposed to Naptha or Mineral Spirits. As I'd have to order the reducer mail order can any tell me if I'm okay using either of the 2 later products? Shellac under and over the filler if it matters.

Thanks

Dennis Peacock
02-12-2007, 6:55 PM
Bob,

I have no real experience with that exact product. But what I would do if I were you is to get a little of it out into a plastic container and try thinning it with mineral spirits and see how it "acts". To me, if it's oil based, it should thin ok with mineral spirits.

Bob Johnson2
02-12-2007, 7:08 PM
Bob,

I have no real experience with that exact product. But what I would do if I were you is to get a little of it out into a plastic container and try thinning it with mineral spirits and see how it "acts". To me, if it's oil based, it should thin OK with mineral spirits.
Thanks Dennis, that's what I did on my test coloring pieces and it thinned just fine, I'm just concerned that a couple months it would turn white or some such thing. If I can't find a definitive answer I'll go ahead and use the mineral spirits anyway.

Barbara Roberts
02-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Believe it should be fine.

Rich Engelhardt
02-13-2007, 5:36 AM
Hello Bob,
The MSDS for Pore-O-Pac lists mineral spirits, so it should be ok to use.

Rob Millard
02-13-2007, 7:29 AM
Bob,
Apparently I should read the directions on the can better, because I’ve used both mineral spirits and naphtha to thin Pore-O-Pac, not knowing a proprietary thinner was recommended. While this lack of attention is not a good thing, everything turned out well, and now 7 years later there have been no problems with the filler.
Rob Millard

Jason Roehl
02-13-2007, 7:48 AM
You may be better off if you use VM&P Naptha or Odorless/Premium Mineral Spirits--don't just use the cheap "Paint Thinner". It's not as refined as the other two and can contain some contaminants that may cause problems.

Paul Cofrancesco
12-01-2014, 7:59 PM
Old thread but I want to keep info grouped together.

New Thread Title: Klean-Strip Brand Odorless Mineral Spirits (MS) vs Traditional MS & Paint Thinner containing MS.

Two Question:

1. Your thoughts, experiences, suggestions....

2. Substitute products
I was thinking about switching to either Paint Thinner or Acetone to thin oil based paint and primer. My concern with Acetone is that the Rustoleum recommends Mineral Spirits for both paint and primer but only indicates MS on the label for thinning the primer. I have used Acetone to thin and spray the primer and it seemed to work fine.

Results:
Even when the primer was cut beyond the consistency of water it only took around 40 minutes or so to dry at 70 degrees in the shade outside with a breeze. However, the Odorless MS is still a little wet after more than 4 hours under the same conditions.

A couple of days ago I thinned and shot the same primer in my HVLP sprayer and some of the finish / paint when applied to sanded metal shovels slipped off with gravity like it was water dripping off and ran on the concrete like ink! Same thing happened on the previously painted wood handle. About a day and a half later the primer seems to have dried completely and "seems" durable. On the same day I shot Rustoleum oil based paint thinned with acetone and had no problems.

Also, initially after sanding the shovels the brush the dust off then wiped them with a cloth with odorless MS but found they stayed wet as the odorless MS didn't evaporate until about 30 minutes?

Odorless Likes:
No odor!
Great for cleaning oil based paint, HVLP spray gun, slow evaporation is beneficial. Also, a good general purpose cleaner in situations where residue doesn't matter. Slow to evaporate is good for brushes - you don't loose solvent to evaporation.
Works for oil based paint IF you are careful no to add too much OR if you can set the items to dry for 24 hrs or more in warm dry weather. No smell as the oil dries.

Dislikes:
Easy to end up with a runny mess especially when thinning oil based paint to apply with an air sprayer. not the best for a per-flight wipe down before spraying.
Adding Acetone doesn't seem to help with evaporation or performance.

Products being pulled from the shelf:
In the past month or so (fall 2014, San Diego, CA) my local Home Depot silently removed MEK, VM&P Naphtha, Xylol, Regular Mineral Spirits.
Still Remaining: Lacquer Thinner, Acetone, Paint Thinner, Odorless Mineral Spirits, Denatured Alcohol (?), Japan Drier. Note working off a less than perfect memory.

Future removal:
Lacquer Thinner - already it cannot be sold by automotive paint stores. I only use it to clean my spray guy after spraying poly-urethane automotive paint and could probably suplement that with paint thinner or odorless MS and save Lacquer Thinner for the final cleaning round.

Paint Thinner? If regular MS is already gone I would have to think this is in the gun sites.