PDA

View Full Version : Headstock spindle

TYLER WOOD
02-12-2007, 6:10 PM
I am now starting to gather parts and steel for my home made lathe. Only problem is I can't use the internet right. I am having a beast of a time trying to find a headstock spindle

1-1/4" Dia. headstock spindle with 8 TPI, #2 Morse taper with 5/8" dia. through hole

This is what I am wanting. If any of you have this or know where to get this please let me know. Even if all you can do is provide a picture so I can see what I could do about fabricating one (worst option).

Once I get the spindle I can really start fabricating everything. All of the design really will rest on the design and dimensions of the spindle.

Thanks for your help in advance!!!!!

Dave Mcintire
02-12-2007, 8:47 PM
This is a pretty obvious reply, but I have often seen engine lathe spindles on Ebay. I don't think the spindle cares if you turn wood or steel with it.

Bill Boehme
02-12-2007, 8:54 PM
Have you considered buying a spindle from Powermatic? That sounds like a close match to the spindle on the 3520 except I think that has a MT3. I don't know about the through hole size, but 5/8 inch seems rather large. I do know, however, that a 5/8" hole and a MT2 are not going to work together.

Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2007, 9:32 PM
Bill......I just checked the specs for a PM 3520 B

They quote it as #2 morse taper with a 5/8" through hole...

at this link....
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/shop/index.cfm?navPage=4&iid=6056397&tab=Specifications

Bill Boehme
02-12-2007, 9:39 PM
Bill......I just checked the specs for a PM 3520 B

They quote it as #2 morse taper with a 5/8" through hole...
I would have thought doing that would result in a somewhat shortened Morse taper. Once upon a time I thought that I had made an error, but then I found out that I was mistaken.:o

Maybe I need to go measure the diameter of a MT2. It could be that the small end is 5/8 inch -- I would have sworn that it was more like 1/2 inch.

Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2007, 9:52 PM
Bill....I wasn't trying to embarrass you or be a "horse's hiney"....(John Hart will understand that phrase).......I'm hoping to get a PM3520B in the future and I've been buying things with a #2 Morse taper so they could be used on my Jet Mini and hopefully someday on the PM.

John Hart
02-13-2007, 6:48 AM
Tyler...I'm wondering how locked in to 1 1/4" diameter you are. I was thinking that my lathe, (a craftsman) has a 1" - 8TPI spindle, and if I wanted, I could order a replacement spindle, and, as I recall, it wasn't expensive. Course, you could follow that same course with any lathe that uses the spindle size you're after.

Gordon Seto
02-13-2007, 7:46 AM
IIRC, Tyler has posted in other thread that he wishes to build a bowl lathe with twenty some inches swing. A 1" spindle may be a weak link for that kind of capacity.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/gbseto/morsetaperdimension.jpg
Taper Size #2
Ø D1: 0.7000"
Ø D2: 0.5720"
L : 2.56"

5/8" (0.625") through hole won't leave full length of the #2 Morse taper.

Gordon

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2007, 9:09 AM
Bill....based on Gordon's post.....you were right......I was just quoting the manufacturer's specs from their website.....Sorry!:o

TYLER WOOD
02-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Gordon:
You are right I had posted that. I have also redesigned the headstock, and have allowed for a larger spindle. I thought maybe 1 1/4" would be plenty, but maybe larger may still be the way to go. I really don't care about the spindle diameter other than being able to support large chunks of wood. I have a pecan tree that me and a freind took down, and it has some wonderful crotch pieces, but they are large. I would hate to have to saw them down because I did not get a large enough spindle. If any one has suggestions for a larger spindle please let me know.

As for others, come on guys FOCUS ON THE QUESTION!:D Boy do we have problems with concentration around here or what!

Not the taper vs through hole, but where to order the spindle from.

By the way, I took the 1 1/4" dia. #2 taper with 5/8" through hole off a manufacturer's web site. I don't remeber if it was powermatic or oneway. Either way I did not check the size of the taper to the through hole thinking surely they would have it right. Sorry for the confusion

Gordon Seto
02-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Tyler,

It is always better to find out the conflicts before you start.
FYI, the VB 36 has 2½" spindle diameter. I don't know whether it is an overkill; I never like the idea of chucking up a heavy peice of wood. When we are getting older, we won't get any stronger.

Gordon

John Hart
02-13-2007, 11:22 AM
....As for others, come on guys FOCUS ON THE QUESTION!:D Boy do we have problems with concentration around here or what!

I was thinking the same thing Tyler. One day, when I was a kid, I was down at the creek, looking for salamanders. I found this really cool one. It had an orange body with black spots...and I.....uh.....

Hmmm. I need ice cream.:)

TYLER WOOD
02-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Your not helping things John!!!! Really FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS! NO ICE CREAM FOR YOU!!!! I'll take a bwol though.

I am confused, I guess I do not know enough about the headstock on wood and metal lathes. Some people have been pointing me to metal lathe head stocks. Will these work with all the back gears, bull gears and quick change gears?? I thought on wood lathes the spindle just fit into a couple of bearings with some pulleys attached to it. Am I oversimplifying it? GRRRRR......

Bill Boehme
02-13-2007, 2:05 PM
I already used up my allotment on suggestions -- I suggested buying one from Powermatic -- all that is required is money.

I guess that I get the credit for derailing this train. I'll have buttered pecan ice cream. I saw a gecko on the kitchen window this morning that had markings like the salamander that you saw, John ......... oooooohhh, gotta FOCUS!!! ........ I'll have chocolate shell .......

Bill

Andy Hoyt
02-13-2007, 3:00 PM
Okaaaaay

Machine Shop.

Bring money

TYLER WOOD
02-13-2007, 3:10 PM
OK after PM to Mr. Hart as he shall now be called!

I have decided, if you have a palmgren lathe and would be willing to place an order for a new spindle and bearings please let me know. I think that with the design I have in mind that this should be plenty.

SOOOO palmgren owners come to me!!! Please let me know what the cost of the pieces are, and I will PM you with what I am willing to do for you in exchange for you helping me. (could be money, could be tools, could be wood???? you never know)