PDA

View Full Version : How do you sharpen planes and chisels?

Eric Sink
02-12-2007, 4:08 PM
How do you sharpen planes and chisels?

Zahid Naqvi
02-12-2007, 4:13 PM
Honing is all scary sharp, but I have used my belt sander a couple of times to grind a primary bevel on a few blades.

Scott Coffelt
02-12-2007, 4:20 PM
I usually do initial sharpening on the Tiger 2000, then refresh honing on the norton stones.

Tyler Howell
02-12-2007, 4:33 PM
Love the LV MK11 and my water stones.

Ron Brese
02-12-2007, 4:49 PM
I use sandpaper on a glass platen. Periodically I use Tormek just to resquare and put everything back on the correct bevel, and then rehone on the glass platen.

Ron

Bob Opsitos
02-12-2007, 5:15 PM
Sandpaper on granite plate and glass plate. Lube with WD40.

Buff out edges with MDF wheel on drill press charged with Tripoli and oil. Going to try one of the fluffy buffing wheels I buff turnings out with to see if it's better.

Zahid Naqvi
02-12-2007, 11:33 PM
I am impressed to see how many people are "powerless" (pun intended):D

I had to get rid of some pitting on a plane blade once, even with a 50 grit sandpaper I was getting a serious workout. I finally had to resort to my belt sander.

John Miliunas
02-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Love the LV MK11 and my water stones.

Ditto for me. Shapton 1K, 2K, 5K and 8K. Even did my sharpening demo at the store this weekend with that exact setup. (We then proceeded to sell out of ALL the MKII's and quite a few stones! :D ):cool:

Dennis Hatchett
02-13-2007, 12:29 AM
I'm using a new setup with my Jet wet sharpener and then I hit it with a few strokes on the 4000 and 8000 grit nortons. The edges aren't any sharper but the new system is much faster than my old 800 grit stone cleaning up a dinged blade.

jonathan snyder
02-13-2007, 1:12 AM
I've been rehabbing some flea market chisels, so I just got a Norton cool wheel to grind the initial bevel. For honing, I use the the LV MKII and micro abrasive paper on glass. This is the only method I have tried!

Jonathan

Ken Bryant
02-13-2007, 2:09 AM
Grind rough bevel on a Baldor bench grinder with a Veritas toolrest; hone on Norton water stones, sometimes freehand, sometimes with a LV MKII.

Michael Gibbons
02-13-2007, 1:24 PM
I use the Tormek if I need to fix an edge or change the angle then to the norton waterstones to finish it up using a jig.

Steve Clardy
02-13-2007, 6:34 PM
MKII power

Gary Herrmann
02-13-2007, 6:47 PM
I do scary sharp, but I was impressd by the edge the MKII put on the chisels at the wwing show. Didn't buy one tho, I bought another doohickey that I've been thinking of. Once I picked it up and started using it, I was hooked. Not even sure I really need it, but...

Doug Littlejohn
02-13-2007, 7:58 PM
I also have the "stone pond" which helps control the mess. While I'm using tools, I have a oilstone and a hard Arkansas I use to keep things relatively sharp.

When I am first rehabing a plane, chisel, whatever, I use a slow speed grinder (cheap GMC or whatever from Lowes) to get the initial bevel I want. Then it's off to the waterstones.

The onlh thing to watch if you use stones it to make sure to keep them flat.

I use to have the LV I but now have the II and it's great. Fast, solid and repeatible.

Some day I will learn to freehand, but for now, I can put razor edges on my planes and chisels and enjoy how a sell sharpened tool works.

Sherwood

Rik Rickerson
02-13-2007, 8:40 PM
I goofed. I chose power only rather than both. I use a combination of Tormek and diamond/waterstones.

chip hamblin
02-13-2007, 9:43 PM
7" 1725RPM Bench grinder for reshaping when needed.

Waterstones with LV Mark II jig for honing.

Steve Schoene
02-13-2007, 11:40 PM
1725 rpm grinder, with Veritas tool rests for grinding to shape. Then oil stones for sharpening--starting with a medium india stone, and going to a hard arkansas, and if the situation warrents finishing on a translucent hard arkansas. I'd rather leave a film of oil on a tool than water. Swarf,whether in oil or water, is not good on projects so about same clean up requirements for each. Oil doesn't freeze either.