PDA

View Full Version : Netflix

Phyllis Meyer
02-12-2007, 2:27 PM
Hi everyone!

Well...we did it, the ads convinced us that we should probably try this. We love movies, and the video store definately makes money off of us because we are the worst for "returning on time". Just wondering if anyone uses this or other? We figure with the gas to get there and return fees, we might try it.

Sincerely,
Ron & Phyllis:)

Joe Pelonio
02-12-2007, 2:35 PM
Hi everyone!

Well...we did it, the ads convinced us that we should probably try this. We love movies, and the video store definately makes money off of us because we are the worst for "returning on time". Just wondering if anyone uses this or other? We figure with the gas to get there and return fees, we might try it.

Sincerely,
My daughter (21) loves it, and has been using it for a long time. Seems like every few days she gets another one in the mail. Once in a while she'll get a movie that the rest of us will watch with her downstairs, but most of them she watches in her room.

Mark Patoka
02-12-2007, 3:26 PM
We've been using them for a few months now with the one at a time option. I figure I need to watch 3 per month to break-even if I were to get them on Pay-per-view. So far we like the service and have been getting the next movie 3 days after we send one in. We find ourselves watching more movies and also finding more we wouldn't have considered watching.

Lars Thomas
02-12-2007, 3:30 PM
We do the Blockbuster version. On that plan you can (but don't have to) ruturn the movie to the store and get another one out right away. That feature comes in Handle sometimes. lars

Jim Becker
02-12-2007, 3:34 PM
We've done Netflix for some time now. Although we have a "low frequency" subscription, it's nice to get in things we would never buy or to test the waters with the girls before picking something up for their library. (We only allow minimal TV on weekend mornings, so videos/movies are what they are allowed to watch)

Rennie Heuer
02-12-2007, 3:46 PM
Hi everyone!

Sincerely,

We use them - love it. The best part of the service is being able to rent movies that no one, I mean no one, else has. I was even able to find an old SF movie that aired on PBS over 30 years ago, and nowhere else to my knowledge. (The Lathe of Heaven) - no, it has nothing to do with woodworking!:D

Scott Coffelt
02-12-2007, 4:24 PM
Love it, always have a least one movie in hand ready to watch and 2 in route.

Tyler Howell
02-12-2007, 4:30 PM
I've been doing Blockbuster.
Only way I can get it to pay is take it to the store fro a new one.
Watch out for "restocking fees" they're out to get your money some how.

Tyler Howell
02-12-2007, 4:32 PM
We use them - love it. The best part of the service is being able to rent movies that no one, I mean no one, else has. I was even able to find an old SF movie that aired on PBS over 30 years ago, and nowhere else to my knowledge. (The Lathe of Heaven) - no, it has nothing to do with woodworking!:D
I remember that Flick!!!! Cool!!:cool:

Jeff Wright
02-12-2007, 5:40 PM
What am I missing? I considered using Netflix but when I went to the site I did not see many selections. Maybe only 15 in each category. I did not see any woodworking videos as some had suggested were on the site. Am I looking in the wrong place? Or must one first sign up as a member and then be granted access to the entire selection of films? If so, that seems like an odd way to market to the unsubscribed.

Mark Singer
02-12-2007, 6:16 PM
We really like it and always have movies coming and going...its great!

Kelly Anderson
02-12-2007, 6:41 PM
They showed that on my local PBS station a couple of years ago, they made a big deal about how it was only the second time since it was made that it had been shown. Of course I had to watch it, who knows when it would be on agian. It was pretty cool, I even went and found the book to read.

Jim Becker
02-12-2007, 6:41 PM
What am I missing? I considered using Netflix but when I went to the site I did not see many selections. Maybe only 15 in each category.

There are thousands of films availabable, although I don't know about any woodworking titles. Non-members do have a very limited view of selections. You can join with a very minimal committment and if you don't like what you see, just cancel your membership. Minimal financial loss.

Tim Morton
02-12-2007, 6:58 PM
There are thousands of films availabable, although I don't know about any woodworking titles. Non-members do have a very limited view of selections. You can join with a very minimal committment and if you don't like what you see, just cancel your membership. Minimal financial loss.

I think you can do one month FREE...if memory serves. I have been a member for years, and now that i am getting into HD-dvd...it takes on a whole new dimension.:D

Jeff Wright
02-12-2007, 7:13 PM
Non-members do have a very limited view of selections.

Jim, doesn't that seem to be an odd way to entice prospective members? In fact, the reason I have NOT signed up was due to my thinking their displayed selections were minimal. Nowhere on their site does it say by signing up you will see our entire selection. From a marketing standpoint, what's the risk in showing all that they have?

I guess I am not as retired from marketing as I thought I was! :(

Jerry Olexa
02-12-2007, 7:15 PM
We've had netflix for quite a while and love it. We are finding our new DVR (Tivo) option w Comcast starting to take over some of the impact.. Netflix is GREAT for finding obscure, old movies, etc as well as TV documentaries

Gary Herrmann
02-12-2007, 9:10 PM
We've got it and like it. We upped our membership so we could have more than one movie at once, because our 6 yr old tends to watch movies over and over again.

It is kinda cute when he very seriously states "I'm ready to return this for my next Netflicks."

Roger Bell
02-12-2007, 9:25 PM
We starting using Netflix when they first came out. At that time, we were negligent with returning videos and were getting hammered with vid-store late fees. It simply was not convenient enough for us to return movies on time. It was actually cheaper for us to use Netflix high option than any other venue. With Netflix, it simply doesnt matter how long you keep a movie. It is nice to keep certain films until you are in the mood for them...and it is nice to have a fair selection. We have the eight-out-at-time plan.

We are both working professionals with very little free time, especially during work hours, which, with commute, often run from 6 am to 8 pm. We delight in not having to putz around in video stores, standing in checkout lines run by teenagers, and not having to return to the video store again and again and again to repeat the process. That is why it was cheaper to pay the fifty bucks a month or more in late fees than to plan to have movies back on time. We simply don't have time for shopping....period....let alone video stores. Sitting down once a month for 30 minutes and putting twenty movies in our queue is easy and productive for us.

We live fairly close to a Netlfix distribution center. We have a new movie about one business day after we drop off a return movie in the mail. Netflix now appears to have speeded up this process immensely over several years ago. When they first started, they had some problems in this regard.

Netflix has a huge, huge inventory. Including old tv shows from the 50's, PBS series, etc. We like exploring various film genres from from past decades and Netflix enables us to do that...something the local yokel establishments can't do. Netflix has something for everyone...not just the youth.

Phyllis Meyer
02-13-2007, 10:49 AM
And it is: CARS, no we don't have kids at home, but the animated stuff is great! We can't wait until Shreck 3 (did I spell that right) comes to theatres this summer! I think we will have great fun with this! Do I move my laser into the family room, or T.V. out to the shop? Such a dilema:) !

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Stuart Johnson
02-13-2007, 10:55 AM
We have it and love it. About a year ago we had a bit of a problem with movies coming in with weird return addresses and new ones arriving late. I complained and have had no problems since. They have a terrific group of BBC TV comedy and mystery movies plus plenty of the old gangster movies.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-13-2007, 11:15 AM
I've been thinking about netflix as opposed to Blockbuster.

I went to the netflix site and did the "browse" thing.
They have 20 catageories that have some overlap. Each catagory is presented as one page of 20 titles.

That is not what I hoped for.

So I plugged in a search term for a Guy Richie movie and they had it but it wasn't in the "browse our selections" area.

So then I plugged in Guy Richie's name into their search box and got nothing at all - which I thought was weird cause he's the director, and he directed some really good movies. "Snatch" and "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels," "The Hard Case," and "Revolver" to name a few.

Then I tried a couple of titles that blockbuster has not got. NetFlix didn't have them either.

Apparantly Netflix has a whole lot of titles they simply haven't got 'em well presented and they haven't got much more than Blockbuster.

Jeff Wright
02-13-2007, 12:55 PM
I went to the netflix site and did the "browse" thing. . . . They have 20 catageories that have some overlap. Each catagory is presented as one page of 20 titles.

That is not what I hoped for.

Apparantly Netflix has a whole lot of titles they simply haven't got 'em well presented . . .

Cliff, exactly the point of my prior post on this thread. If Netflix has a depth of title selections, why in heaven's name would they NOT feature them ALL on their site for the unsold prospect to view. Isn't depth of selection the main selling point of a service like theirs??