PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV Fiasco - Very Long - No laughing allowed

Ken Salisbury
12-02-2003, 9:42 AM
This weekend my Direct TV/TiVo system went tapioca. While watching the news Friday afternoon I got a “searching for satellite” error message. Since this happens periodically when there is bad weather to the South – I wasn’t too concerned and shifted to watch local TV. A couple of hours later the error was still there. I went to my computer and checked the weather radar and -- lo-and-behold no bad weather in sight. Called Direct TV and after many recordings finally got a technician. Now I get walked through all kinds of troubleshooting steps (about a half hour or more) with the result that “your receiver must be defective”.

Step 1 (Saturday): Go to Best Buy and purchase a new receiver (no Sony in stock so bought a Hughes). Came home, removed old receiver and hooked up the new one to system. Guess what? -- same error message. So much for Direct TV’s tech support. Called Hughes tech support and after awhile the guy decides that one of two things is defective. "Either the cable or the LNB on the dish".

Step 2 (Sunday): Since my receiver has the option of 2 inputs from the dish so you can watch one channel and record a different channel at the same time (requires a dual LNB), I decided I needed a dual LNB anyway. Youngest Son comes by and mentions that he has a spare dual LNB at home that I could have. Great ! you say ??. Up to Son’s house and retrieve the dual LNB -- get home and install the LNB on the dish. Guess what ? - same error message. Which tells me that the only thing I haven’t changed is the cable.

Step 3 (Monday): Go to Radio Shack and buy two 25’ coax cables. Come home and temporarily connect the 2 cables to the dish and run through the front door rather than through the garage wall and the living room wall (just to check it out). So now I know I am in business - right? -- wrong !. Now I am getting no signals at all from the dish. Previously with my single LNB I was getting a signal on just a few of the 32 transponders. Now getting zero. So, I put my old single LNB back on the dish and hook up 1 cable - get some signal on only a few transponders.

Step 4 (still Monday): Sit and contemplate the situation - drink multiple BL’s. Come to the conclusion that everything is now new on the system (receiver, cables, LNB – what could be wrong???

WAIT ! ! ! – the LNB from Son is NOT NEW. Back to Radio Shack - buy new Dual LNB ($49.00). Back home – install NEW LNB - and WALLA !! – everything works as advertised. So – now I am out $100.00 for a receiver, $50.00 for cables and $52.00 for LNB. Maybe I will be able to return the receiver to Best Buy for a refund – since the old receiver works fine.

By this time it is 6:00pm Monday -- 74 hours of absolute frustration requires a couple doses of Jack Daniels before retiring for the night. At least I was able to record Monday night football and watch Don Imus at 5:00 this morning.

p.s. To make matters worse – on one of the trips to town I had a fender bender and broke an old lady’s Mercedes.

PLEASE – NO LAUGHING – THIS NOT A LAUGHING MATTER :D :D

Jason Roehl
12-02-2003, 9:53 AM
mmmrmmmrrrrrrmph!! mmmmrmrrrrrrrmmmrmmrmrmrrmmph!!! :D :D :D

Ken, that sounds like my plumbing episodes!!

Really, I tried hard not to laugh. Honest. Scout's Honor. :D

Bob Lasley
12-02-2003, 10:09 AM
I hate it when things like that happen.............especially to me!

I didn't laugh.............I only chuckled..............a little bit. You should have been in the shop anyway making inventory for upcoming shows.

Glad you got it fixed,
Bob

Glenn Clabo
12-02-2003, 10:33 AM
I'm really trying to keep from laughing...cause I know that it could just as well happen to me tonight...
Sign on a TV Techs bench..

David Klug
12-02-2003, 10:35 AM
Hey Ken (chorkle chorkle) What a great post to read on a Monday. I'm set for the week. Seriously, been there and done that. I'm glad you got it up and running!!!!!!!!

Dave

mike malone
12-02-2003, 11:48 AM
This weekend my Direct TV/TiVo system went [ the dish[/i][/color]".

p.s. To make matters worse – on one of the trips to town I had a fender bender and broke an old lady’s Mercedes.

]:D :D
\hey ken
GEEEEZ...i was contemplating switching from cable to direct satillite...now i'm not so sure...maybe those ridiculuously dumb cable ads are correct???
regards
mike

Don Abele
12-02-2003, 12:22 PM
Ken, having had satellite for the last 5 years and 3 moves, I can feel your pain. Glad that all in all, you did eventually get it working. Not a good way to spend a weekend though.

Be well,

Doc

Tyler Howell
12-02-2003, 12:22 PM
OTools Law: Murphy was an optimist!

Had days like that.

TJH

Philip Duffy
12-02-2003, 3:33 PM
HhhMMMumm, and there I was, just getting ready to get the car pointed to the Direct TV store!! Not so fast. If Ken has these kinds of problems, can you imagine what a non-techie would do? The cost of a repair man frightens me, and I am known to be fearless! Phil

Brad Schafer
12-02-2003, 8:13 PM
geek talk. :D ;)

b (card-carrying geek)

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-02-2003, 9:52 PM
Ken, sorry to hear of the Dish Problems. At least you got the problem solved................and it was a nice weekend to be at Best Buy...............no crowds or anything being it is the "Off-Season" for shopping. :D You really shouldn't have taken out your frustration on that Ladies Mercedes...............couldn't you have found an old clunker to trade paint with? :D I PROMISE I did not laugh..............OK, so I grinned a little.................and maybe a little snicker did sneak out.................but I was rolling on the floor because my back itched................HONEST! :D :D :D :D :D ;) :p

(I couldn't resist.............the post WAS funny Ken!) :cool:

Noah Alkinburgh
12-03-2003, 8:25 AM
Too bad Ken, you could have just called me. My dad was at the house all weekend and he would have been able to tell you that the LNB was the problem right away. He fixes those things all the time as he is the only installer for nearly 100 mile radius where he lives :)

Next time you will know.

Noah

Oh, no laughing here either, not even a snicker. (may the good Lord forgive me for lying)

Phil Phelps
12-03-2003, 8:52 AM
.....Old lady, Mercedes, Jack Danials. Ken is set for the holidays.

Carl Eyman
12-03-2003, 11:37 AM
What is my punishment? You see, if ypu didn't watch so many soap operas, you wouldn't have had to run around getting it fixed right away.

Ron Meadows
12-03-2003, 12:04 PM
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHh....hahahahahahahe heheheheheheheeheheh hohohohohoho.

Sorry old buddy....I held it in for almost a day and a half.......had to release the pressure or I'd have exploded.

Sounds like something that could happen to me..........that was funny!!!!!

Ron

Steve Nelson
12-03-2003, 5:17 PM
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHh....hahahahahahahe heheheheheheheeheheh hohohohohoho.

Sorry old buddy....I held it in for almost a day and a half.......had to release the pressure or I'd have exploded.

Sounds like something that could happen to me..........that was funny!!!!!

Ron
I didnt laugh Ken, I swear I didnt............................................. Ok I did but I didnt want to.

Ace Karner
12-03-2003, 10:41 PM
I laughed out out from the start. :D

Lee Schierer
12-04-2003, 8:22 AM
I only have one question. Since I know approximately how old you are, just how old does a lady have to be for you to call her an "Old Lady"?

Don't you know the last part you change out is always the one that is broken....... :D

Chad Pater
12-04-2003, 9:58 AM
"I only have one question. Since I know approximately how old you are, just how old does a lady have to be for you to call her an "Old Lady"?

Remember Ken It was Lee who asked this question.....no one else was even thinking this.....honest :p

Paul Kunkel
12-04-2003, 11:32 AM
HeHe :D BTDT, only it was the LNB switch. The last, smallest, most insignificant part, without which none of the other parts will function. Also the most difficult to find a replacement for.......... ;)

Ed Marks
12-07-2003, 10:14 AM
Sorry Ken, I was laughing by the end of the first paragraph. It sounds like you had one of those days when it just might have been better to stay in bed ... I would have said sit around and watch TV all day but .... :)

Good news is the satalite system just got a really good tune up and you have a spare receiver for the shop. Now you can have races with Norm to see who gets done first!

Jeff Ward
12-11-2003, 6:50 PM
I did not laugh, but did have a Jack Daniels just to help you feel better.

Stewart Crick
12-19-2003, 9:11 AM
Ken,

Feel your pain. I live in the woods and based on the direction of one of DirecTV's certified installation partners I spent $500 getting trees trimmed when I first moved here, Came to find out when I got someone who knew how to focus the dish that I didn't need to do all the trimming! :(

But hey it's a small price to pay to get Norm, David Marks, and Modern Masters anytime I want them!

Jeff Grimes
12-19-2003, 12:30 PM
WAIT ! ! ! – the LNB from Son is NOT NEW. Back to Radio Shack - buy new Dual LNB ($49.00). Back home – install NEW LNB - and WALLA !! – everything works as advertised. So – now I am out $100.00 for a receiver, $50.00 for cables and $52.00 for LNB. Maybe I will be able to return the receiver to Best Buy for a refund – since the old receiver works fine.

And to think...For $99 you could have ordered a Tivo Receiver, had it professionally installed (which would have fixed your old one) AND gotten your hands on the next best thing to Tablesaw. Tivo Rules!!!

Ryan Singer
12-30-2003, 12:01 AM
this reminds me of the time I tried to get my computers to see one another on a wireless network...

even if you are of the computer generation these things can be tricky...

:confused: :( :mad: ;) :D