PDA

View Full Version : Blanket/Toy chest completed (pics)

Jerry Olexa
02-12-2007, 10:54 AM
This was to be a "quicky" project using some newly acquired walnut. My daughter wanted to use it as a toy chest now and later perhaps, as a blanket chest. Using no particular plans, I started a quick, functional toy box.. As my daughter watched its progress, she added she might also use as a coffee table. Our 14 month old grandaughter, I'm sure , will have a say in its final use. Delivered it yesterday so we'll see. The "quicky" project ended up over 2 months as safety hinge and wood movement issues intervened. Here's a few pics....

Roy Wall
02-12-2007, 11:13 AM
I'd say Grandpa did good!!!!!!

Beautiful work Jerry!!

Christopher Stahl
02-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Very nice work, Jerry!

Dave Ray
02-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Real nice Jerry, that will be around for a long time. Will be a box for memories and more. "Grandpa made me this when I was just a little girl, even younger than you."

Steve Beadle
02-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Beautiful project, Jerry. And I especially love that adorable hood ornament in the third picture!
Steve

Keith Webster
02-12-2007, 12:18 PM
very nice!

Ralph Okonieski
02-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Very nice work !! I've been thinking about a blanket chest as my next project. You may have convinced me ! Love the walnut.

John D Watson
02-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Really nice work Jerry, and I can see quickie has taken on new meaning for you as well.

Bruce Page
02-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Beautiful chest Jerry, I love the color of the walnut. Two months to build would’ve been a quickie for me.
Your daughter & granddaughter will have to fight over this one! ;)

Jim Becker
02-12-2007, 3:32 PM
Beautiful job, Jerry!

everett lowell
02-12-2007, 4:38 PM
Nice job Jerry, I'm working on one myself out of pine,the customer said "pine-poly inside and out" is it a good idea to poly the inside? ( I think I'll be using waterbase poly) maybe a wash coat to seal the wood??? they said it was for extra sheets and stuff.:confused:

Mike Waddell
02-12-2007, 5:19 PM
Great work, Jerry. The ornamentation you show on top of your project in the third picture is precious!

Mike

Greg Funk
02-12-2007, 5:31 PM
Beautiful work Jerry.

A couple of questions:
- Are the braces on the underside of the lid meant to keep the lid flat?
- How did you attach the braces?

thanks,

Greg

Jerry Olexa
02-12-2007, 5:38 PM
Nice job Jerry, I'm working on one myself out of pine,the customer said "pine-poly inside and out" is it a good idea to poly the inside? ( I think I'll be using waterbase poly) maybe a wash coat to seal the wood??? they said it was for extra sheets and stuff.:confused:

Not a good idea to poly the inside IMHO. The "gas" will be there forever and impact the sheets/blankets. Shellac will "cure" quickly and eliminate that issue. Its best to no finish at all on the interior chest. I did shellac mine.

Jerry Olexa
02-12-2007, 5:45 PM
Beautiful work Jerry.

A couple of questions:
- Are the braces on the underside of the lid meant to keep the lid flat?
- How did you attach the braces?

thanks,

Greg

Greg: I mortised out a hidden goove w/ my router (on the bottom side)for the fasteners to "float" freely. No glue was used. The fasteners (sq dr Kregs) were fastened fairly loosely and then tightened 1/4 turn and then covered with a wooden insert round plug. Inside, they were in a slot fashioned to allow the screw to move as the wood encountered seasonal changes. I believe this will handle the wood movement issue.. As far as flatness, YES, I wanted to protect against later cupping/bowing that could occurr w the seasonsl and resulting wood wooment....Just an ounce of prevention...HTH

Nancy Laird
02-12-2007, 5:48 PM
Jerry, what a beautiful piece. The shine coming off that top is just lucious. The hood ornament in pic #3 isn't bad either. I'd do a blow-up of that picture and give it to her when she sets up housekeeping and takes it with her. Just the thing to hang on the wall above the chest.

Ya dun good!

Nancy

Jerry Olexa
02-12-2007, 5:48 PM
Really nice work Jerry, and I can see quickie has taken on new meaning for you as well.

Yes, I believe I'll have a quicky right now:cool: :D :) Oh Well, realistically, back to the next project:)

Michael Pfau
02-12-2007, 5:56 PM
You gotta love walnut!

Jerry Olexa
02-12-2007, 6:13 PM
You gotta love walnut!

Up to now, Cherry was my #1. You're right, Walnut is not too shabby:D :) :cool:

Al Navas
02-12-2007, 8:11 PM
Well done, Jerry! You did a terrific job with the finish.

Ron Jones near Indy
02-12-2007, 8:26 PM
If you don't like walnut (especially when made into something this nice) you might have the wrong hobby!:eek: Very nice Jerry--that'll be in the family a long, long time.

Ben Grunow
02-12-2007, 9:05 PM
Arent you the one who claimed to not know what chisels were for?

A fine piece and one to be treasured for generations.

Bob Michaels
02-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Nice work Jerry, love the detail.

Jerry Olexa
02-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Arent you the one who claimed to not know what chisels were for?

A fine piece and one to be treasured for generations.

Ben, you're right. I did use my Marples and some old chisels to clean up glue in corners on this chest and also help rabbett corners for the hinges. I'm learning:)

Pete Brown
02-13-2007, 6:58 AM
Very nice Jerry. It looks really sharp.

I know you were on the other "safety" threads. Did you end up putting any air holes/gaps in this one? That's especially important because it's so large.

Pete

Jeffrey Makiel
02-13-2007, 7:00 AM
Jerry, that looks great!
-Jeff :)

Karl Laustrup
02-13-2007, 8:06 AM
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry. That really is a beautiful piece.

I do hope it's signed as that will be in the family for many years to come.

We do need to get together for lunch again soon. :)

Karl

William McLellan
02-13-2007, 9:05 AM
Jerry-

Did you use shellac on the exterior as well? What color?

Bill

Anthony Anderson
02-13-2007, 9:11 AM
That is Beautiful Jerry! Be proud of that one, as I am sure your daughter is. That will be in the family forever. Is that Amber Shellac over the walnut? Thanks for sharing. Regards, Bill

Jerry Olexa
02-13-2007, 9:56 AM
Jerry-

Did you use shellac on the exterior as well? What color?

Bill

The finish is sand to 220, BLO, cure a week and then padding on several coats of garnett dewaxed shellac on followed by MUCH rubbing w the DA/shellac mixture on a pad to get the right lustre..Yes, I used shellac everywhere on this piece. No further topcoat..

Jerry Olexa
02-13-2007, 9:57 AM
That is Beautiful Jerry! Be proud of that one, as I am sure your daughter is. That will be in the family forever. Is that Amber Shellac over the walnut? Thanks for sharing. Regards, Bill

Thanks Anthony: Its garnett dewaxwed from flakes. Gives a slightly darker look..

Jerry Olexa
02-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Very nice Jerry. It looks really sharp.

I know you were on the other "safety" threads. Did you end up putting any air holes/gaps in this one? That's especially important because it's so large.

Pete

Pete: I did not add air holes but did mount 2 heavy duty safety hinges (in addition to the 48" piano hinge). Frankly, Its pretty hard to close that puppy. My daughter has been strictly lectured on the possible perils for our grandaughter.:) I feel pretty safe. Those safety hinge really work when u get the proper strength installed..

Pete Brown
02-13-2007, 3:26 PM
Pete: I did not add air holes but did mount 2 heavy duty safety hinges (in addition to the 48" piano hinge). Frankly, Its pretty hard to close that puppy. My daughter has been strictly lectured on the possible perils for our grandaughter.:) I feel pretty safe. Those safety hinge really work when u get the proper strength installed..

Glad to hear it :) I'm sure everyone will love it.

Pete

John Lucas
02-13-2007, 4:13 PM
I don't know which I like best: The chest, the "ornamentation in the 3rd picture" or the fantastic finish. All are letter perfect. She doesnt appreciate it now, but she will many years later. An heirloom in the making.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-13-2007, 5:41 PM
I wish all my "quickie" projects turned out like that. :) I like the raised panels and the base. The walnut is just beautiful.

Irvin Cooper
02-13-2007, 7:31 PM
Jerry,

Very beautiful work! Daughter & grandkids will be proud for a very long time.

Nicely done.

Irv

John Miliunas
02-13-2007, 8:37 PM
Holy cats, Jerry! And you're looking at which chisels to try??? :eek: Like I said before, your skills are worthy of the best ones out there! (Well, ok, the LN's may not be the very best but, they're right up there, IMHO.) :) Beautiful job on the chest, my friend! You've done that Walnut justice on a piece which is surely destined to be a family heirloom! Now, go get yourself those chisels! :D :cool:

Neil Lamens
02-13-2007, 8:56 PM
Hi Jerry:

Nice Job Daddio!!!! Another fun part of being a grandpa!!!! I like that you didn't really use plans.

Jerry Olexa
02-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi Jerry:

Nice Job Daddio!!!! Another fun part of being a grandpa!!!! I like that you didn't really use plans.

Thanks. Yes, I used no plans but as a result, I overbuilt it!! Its a little big @ 24" X 50" but at least its unique:D :) . Most Blanket chests are roughly18" X 42" etc. It really was supposed to be a quickie project