PDA

View Full Version : Early Birthday Present - Nova Gloat

Mark Patoka
02-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Since I'm turning 40 this Friday, yesterday I picked up my "mid-life crisis" birthday present from my local Woodcraft. I took advantage of their January flyer and got the new Nova 1624-44 with G3 chuck. The manager also threw in the new Nova 10 in 1 Chuck Gauge.

It assembled easily, appears very solid and the fit and finish is very nice. Had to do a little rearranging of the garage to find a home for it but was able to carve out a little space and the wife can still park her car in the garage each night.

Haven't had the chance to try it out and get it dirty, but looking forward to it this weekend. Been doing a lot of flatwork lately and you guys are killing me with all the great pics of your turnings. Hope to add some more of my own very soon.

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Congrats Mark on the lathe. I have been looking at that one pretty hard. I hope you will keep us up to date on how things go with it. I will be watching for sure. Way to go and by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Dario Octaviano
02-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Congrats and Happy Birthday Mark!

Keith Burns
02-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Now thats what I call a Birthday Gloat !!! Congrats !

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Congrats and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Give us a review after you've used it a bit, please!

Jim Becker
02-12-2007, 10:58 AM
That's a really nice looking machine, Mark! Congratulations! And happy birthday...boy, are you young!!

Dick Durbin
02-12-2007, 11:05 AM
40??!! Man, I've got underwear older than that.

Keep us apprised of how you like the lathe. It seems to have everything I would like to have in my next one.

Tom Sherman
02-12-2007, 5:00 PM
Congratulations on your new toy, and Happy Birthday

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-12-2007, 9:44 PM
Congratulations, Mark.

Can't wait to see it dirty!

Mine's STILL in the box, in my van. Been very STUPID the last month. This past weekend, I fell for the fourth time. This time a header down a flight of six stairs. No Major damage, but a little sore to be lugging it downstairs. It'll just have to wait till I feel better.

Bruce

John Chandler
02-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Congrats on the new lathe.

John Chandler
02-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Congratulations, Mark.

Can't wait to see it dirty!

Mine's STILL in the box, in my van. Been very STUPID the last month. This past weekend, I fell for the fourth time. This time a header down a flight of six stairs. No Major damage, but a little sore to be lugging it downstairs. It'll just have to wait till I feel better.

Bruce

I am glad you didn't bust anything bad - are the stairs ok? :rolleyes: Get to feeling better and let us know how your new lathe fits you.

mike fuson
02-12-2007, 11:04 PM
If its anything like the nova 3000 I had you'll love it.;)

John Hart
02-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Congratulations!, Happy Birthday!, Welcome to the Abyss!!

Better move all that stuff though...you'll never find it, a week from now.;) :D

Ed Scolforo
02-13-2007, 6:05 AM
Congrats, and happy birthday. You're gonna like the lathe. Be sure to put some extra weight underneath.
Ed

Mark Pruitt
02-13-2007, 8:40 AM
40??? OMG!
YOU OLD FART!

How on earth are you going to be able to use that lathe in your old age???:D :D :D

Sorry, Mark, you were just asking for that!:D

Seriously, Big Time CONGRATULATIONS on the lathe score AND on having hit "the big one"!!! (from one who's dreading 50...)

George Tokarev
02-13-2007, 9:22 AM
You'll love it, I'm sure. Be careful when you set up the belts to follow the directions and keep the edges from rubbing on the step up sides of the next size. Move over one ridge, as they say. Keeps things from bouncing and wearing. Guy I got my 3000 from had the pulleys out of line, and complained about the vibrations.

Note the numbers on the belt and grab a spare from a belt place so you'll never need it.