PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
02-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

I hope that this finds you doing well and staying warm and dry.

It's raining here today and pretty cool for this part of the country. But I like the cool/cold weather and I can take the cold better than I can the extreme heat of the summers.

Due to work, family, and me being sick for 6 days put a damper on me being in the shop at all for the past week. Went to the doctor on Thursday and changed my medication and am better now, but what ever this "crud" is, seems to linger much longer than I like. :mad:

It'll be back to the shop some this week. I'm still working on the dresser/baby changing table for our friend at church. Found out this weekend that the baby came "early" :eek: . So now, I'm REALLY behind and they haven't finished telling me the design changes they wanted done at the last minute. I guess I'll just fudge it a little and get this thing done and deliver.:rolleyes:

After that, it will be back on this oval kitchen table project for a lady at work. Remember the "brick stack" question I asked some time back? It's all in preparation for this table as well as the construction of the curved ends of the table.

It was church on Sunday and it seems that they have scheduled me to play bass at least 3 Sundays each month for the first quarter. That means a fair amount of time each week to just learn the music and attend rehearsal. But, I sure do enjoy playing music.!! :D

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Layed on the couch.......I gotta "coad"......consumed Alkaseltzer plus.....layed on the couch......Consumed Alkaseltzer plus Nighttime....went to bed.......I gotta "coad".......

Dennis Peacock
02-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Layed on the couch.......I gotta "coad"......consumed Alkaseltzer plus.....layed on the couch......Consumed Alkaseltzer plus Nighttime....went to bed.......I gotta "coad".......

LOL!! I'm sorry you have a "coad" Ken. I hope that you will get well very quickly. Now...to sound like me? You gotta pinch your nose and speak in your deepest voice: I'm feeling better today....but I still feel like crap.
:)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2007, 10:17 AM
But Dennis.....I couldn't possibly imitate that accent!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

John Timberlake
02-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Made some progress on my daughter's dining table. Got all the sanding done and put a coat of garnet shellac on to seal before I put pore filler on the top. Also helped Steve Wargo get some bases turned for columns he is making.

Brian Tuftee
02-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Installed new shelving in the kitchen, and started on a doggie food and water bowl holder for our pug. I now stalk the house, looking at each room and pondering where to add shelves. We have a pretty small house, and it seems as if shelving is the way to increase our storage space. I think I'll work on a small set of shelves for the bathroom next...

Dennis Peacock
02-12-2007, 10:24 AM
But Dennis.....I couldn't possibly imitate that accent!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just speak slowly, put a 'twang' on every word as well as drawing out each word as long as you can without boring the listener. :rolleyes: :p :p

Dennis Peacock
02-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Made some progress on my daughter's dining table. Got all the sanding done and put a coat of garnet shellac on to seal before I put pore filler on the top. Also helped Steve Wargo get some bases turned for columns he is making.

Hey John,

How about documenting and posting pics of the pore filling when you get that far??? It would be appreciated and maybe we could add it to the articles section? Just an idea. :D

Ted Miller
02-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Built some much needed new shelving for my shop and did the reorganization thing. Wow, I found things I never knew I had, can't wait to do this again...

Jim Becker
02-12-2007, 10:35 AM
I got "some" time in the shop this weekend, but I had "swimming and karate" duty on Saturday which took a chunk of time. Dr SWMBO and I alternate weekends so we can each get some personal time. It was actually a nice day, however, as Nastia qualified for orange belt last weekend and received her belt on Saturday before class. Here she is with Sensi and the black belt in charge of the orange belt group.

Once I got home, I did some odds and ends in the shop, including rearrangement of my workbench...something I spoke about yesterday in my "new saw" thread.

Sunday, after a trip to HD and dealing with some behavior issues after lunch, I finally got back in the shop for a couple hours and got a lot of the work done on my new project, a wall mirror (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51738) to compliment the cherry vanity I've created for the guest bath in our upcoming home addition. Dinner out at Houlihans and Star Wars (the original movie, now labeled episode IV) for the family movie closed out the weekend.

Tyler Howell
02-12-2007, 10:36 AM
You guys keep them germs to yourself!
I've been fighting off colds all winter and I don't want one now.
Nice weekend at the Lake!
It's a heat wave. 12* time to get out the shorts.
Worked in the garagemahal. Diagrahmed my wiring plan and did some demo on for the new bath.
Had Creeker Rick Schubert and a few of the new neighbors over for some chili and beer. Good to get to know some of the folks.
Be safe.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2007, 10:54 AM
You guys keep them germs to yourself!
I've been fighting off colds all winter and I don't want one now.

The "coad" germs won't survive the Minnesota COLD temps Tyler....Not to worry!:D

Al Willits
02-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Tried cutting styrofoam with my table saw...ya ya..I know better but it just seemed like the thing to do at the time....You know, one of them, "I wonder" things.
Worked on insulating the garage and picking up little tiny bisty pieces of styrofoam...:)

Finally got to putting on some BLO and Tung oil on the one storage cabinet I have done and got the base all done and sanded, so Shebeast is a bit happier.

Off today, so more coats and maybe some poly and maybe go look for a new combination square.

Ken, good luck with your coad....:)

Al

Brad Schmid
02-12-2007, 11:23 AM
I got "some" time in the shop this weekend, but I had "swimming and karate" duty on Saturday which took a chunk of time. Dr SWMBO and I alternate weekends so we can each get some personal time. It was actually a nice day, however, as Nastia qualified for orange belt last weekend and received her belt on Saturday before class. Here she is with Sensi and the black belt in charge of the orange belt group.

Once I got home, I did some odds and ends in the shop, including rearrangement of my workbench...something I spoke about yesterday in my "new saw" thread.

Sunday, after a trip to HD and dealing with some behavior issues after lunch, I finally got back in the shop for a couple hours and got a lot of the work done on my new project, a wall mirror (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51738) to compliment the cherry vanity I've created for the guest bath in our upcoming home addition. Dinner out at Houlihans and Star Wars (the original movie, now labeled episode IV) for the family movie closed out the weekend.

For Nastia, Well Done!
Jim, Is she doing Shotokan? I know there is a large following in the NY/PA area for this style.

My son Ben, who is now 8, is working on his red belt now. He started when he was 5 and has stuck with it non-stop for 3 years. This is the only thing he has stayed focused on... ever. It's great for self confidence and physical exercise, not to mention focus and discipline. Good luck to her as she progresses in her training!

Brad Schmid
02-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Well, I finally got some time in the shop. Even more enjoyable, my son and I worked together on a birthday present for his little sister who turns 5 on Wednesday. She is in gymnastics, so she wanted a balance beam. Mom took care of acquiring some floor mats while Ben and I worked on the beam. I think she'll be as happy to get the gift as we were to make it:)

The rest of the weekend consisted of preparing for our 11th annual trek to Mardi Gras. No shop time next weekend;)

Don Bullock
02-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Dennis, I'm glad you are feeling better.

Somehow I ended up with Ken's "coad." It started with a sore throat on Friday afternoon.

Our power company decided that they had to schedule the instilation of a new line in the neighborhood for Saturday. It required our electricity to be off most of the day Saturday. So much for working in the shop. I have no idea why they couldn'r schedule it for a time when everyone was at work.

On Sunday morning I did get some time for sanding on my trophy project until I had to help LOML get ready for guests who came for the afternoon and dinner. Not much of a weekend in the shop for me.

Justin McCurdy
02-12-2007, 11:57 AM
First, I made a temporary sacrificial fence using mdf. I was able to tomplete the cutting for all of the NYW router table drawers and dry fit them to make sure that I didn't screw up. Everything fits pretty well. Man I wish they could gaurantee plywood thickness though. Norm always gets a really tight fit. Grrrr. I am almost finished drilling the holes for the bit storage drawers and then I can move on to carcass construction. My wife had me buy and install the flip out drawers for the false fronts on all of our cabinetry in the house. 6 Drawers in all. The first two took me 3 hours to put in (I know better than the directions) and the other pairs took less than an hour each.

Friday we found out we are having a girl. Yeah, four women and me. I think I'll buy more tools so that I can use them as an excuse to escape the estrogen. I feel bad for the grandparents. They have will have 6 granddaughters and no grandsons.

Dennis Peacock
02-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Dennis, I'm glad you are feeling better.
Somehow I ended up with Ken's "coad." It started with a sore throat on Friday afternoon.

On Sunday morning I did get some time for sanding on my trophy project until I had to help LOML get ready for guests who came for the afternoon and dinner. Not much of a weekend in the shop for me.

Now Don,
Just because I'm better now? Doesn't mean it's OK for you to get a "coad". This "crud" hasn't been any fun and you sure don't want it. May your health be restored to you quickly.

Mark Pruitt
02-12-2007, 2:44 PM
Warm and dry? It's about to be anything but! We have ice on the way and I'm sitting on the edge of my chair wondering if it's gonna affect my ability to go pick up my Mustard when it arrives in Roanoke!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway, I spent most of Saturday turning a Valentine Gift for the LOML only to see it fall victim to lathe vibration (I mounted my Midi on a stand that obviously is not going to give it adequate stability).:mad:

Most of Sunday was spent cleaning and re-organizing a horribly messy shop, in anticipation of The Mustardizer.:cool: That Midi is going to feel neglected for a while!

Oh Yeah.....like Tyler said, you guys keep them germs to yourself!:eek: :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
02-12-2007, 2:54 PM
For Nastia, Well Done!
Jim, Is she doing Shotokan? I know there is a large following in the NY/PA area for this style.

My son Ben, who is now 8, is working on his red belt now. He started when he was 5 and has stuck with it non-stop for 3 years. This is the only thing he has stayed focused on... ever. It's great for self confidence and physical exercise, not to mention focus and discipline. Good luck to her as she progresses in her training!

Yes, Shotokan. It's a good program and since it's based at the YMCA (http://www.cbkarateclub.com/index.htm), quite accessable and affordable. The belt color progression in this club appears to be white, orange (youth only), yellow, green, blue, purple, brown and black. The orange is an intermediate step for kids under 14 years old where they take the basics they have learned in white belt and start to apply them as they learn three kata sequences. Adults (14 and up) go from white to yellow in this club.

For Nastia, this is helping her in many ways, including (hopefully) helping her to get more control over her thoughts and emotions as she deals with her past. We may move her from once a week to two times (and maybe three) if all goes well and we can figure out how to deal with the logistics...

Dave Anderson NH
02-12-2007, 4:27 PM
I had a great Saturday at the New England Chapter meeting of SAPFM which was held at the North Bennett Street School. Great people, good woodworking demos, and a tour of the school.

Sunday was spent finishing the tiger maple Queen Anne handkerchief table I posted over on the Neanderthal Forum.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2007, 4:46 PM
Yes, Shotokan. It's a good program and since it's based at the YMCA (http://www.cbkarateclub.com/index.htm), quite accessable and affordable. The belt color progression in this club appears to be white, orange (youth only), yellow, green, blue, purple, brown and black. The orange is an intermediate step for kids under 14 years old where they take the basics they have learned in white belt and start to apply them as they learn three kata sequences. Adults (14 and up) go from white to yellow in this club.

For Nastia, this is helping her in many ways, including (hopefully) helping her to get more control over her thoughts and emotions as she deals with her past. We may move her from once a week to two times (and maybe three) if all goes well and we can figure out how to deal with the logistics...

Jim.....I studied Doshikan/Shudokan for a couple of years. Excellent way for someone to learn self discipline!

Fred Voorhees
02-12-2007, 4:52 PM
Well, some of the weekend was spent amassing this pile shown below. It would have been larger, but, while splitting and the wedge was returning back, it jammed a piece of firewood between itself and the valve assembly. Quick panic and reaction saved a near disaster and only a nipple was bent. Still, it began to leak hydraulic oil, so it was off to the plumbing supply store just up the road. Less than $2 later, and some dissasembly and reassembly, I was back in business.

Also got some finishing done on the sideboard project and did some shopping for the LOML for Valentines Day while she was at some relatives Sunday.

Jim Becker
02-12-2007, 6:30 PM
Now, that looks familiar, Fred! :D

Matt Meiser
02-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Another long weekend out of town. This weekend we visited my aunts, uncles, and cousins in the St. Louis area. Flew out on Friday evening and didn't get back home until 11 last night.

Steve Clardy
02-13-2007, 6:45 PM
Now Don,
Just because I'm better now? Doesn't mean it's OK for you to get a "coad". This "crud" hasn't been any fun and you sure don't want it. May your health be restored to you quickly.

Hey!! Get ta work bud, and work that crud out:eek: ;) :D

Finished this job up.
Maple staircase with custom stain mix.
3 parts minwax early american, 1 part red mahogany.

Al Killian
02-13-2007, 7:14 PM
Bought a old scroll saw(kinda), I posted a ad over at OWWM and a guy gave me one. I just had to bpay postage. Working on a 12" Bandsaw. And just about finshed stripping aand polying the kitchen cabinets. Other then that, nothing just sitting around.:)