PDA

View Full Version : Router Tables and Radios

D.McDonnel "Mac"
02-12-2007, 10:03 AM
This is a blatent gloat! I got to use my new router setup for the first time Sunday. I had a stand alone table that was one of the first pieces I had made for the shop back when I started getting serious about woodworking 7-8 years ago. I always intended to put the router in the end of the right extension table of my unisaw. This gives me back a little floor space in in little shop and gives me a better materiel flow across the router since I have the same infeed and outfeed as the tablesaw. I had picked up a Bench Dog router lift some time back but hadn't installed it untill just after Christmas. I recently picked up their Pro fence after deciding my old fence wasn't good enough for the new setup. Both pieces are quality items and Ifigure they will last as long as I'm still around. Here I am running some narrow picture frame stock and no my finger is not as close to the bit as it looks plus there is that nice little finger guard that comes with the pro fence.

I am going to build a cabinet under the table to add storage and improve dust collection. The DC will be part of the central DC system but I will use the shop vac until that gets all hooked up. It'll be a nice setup when done and is a vast improvement over the old table as it sits now.

As for the radio part of the post topic, I just hooked up the XM radio I got for Christmas in the shop. I've had it in the car since Christmas but now in the shop it's nice! Comercial free music....so nice! I like the real oldies written by long haired types.........Clasical music! 500 years worth of "oldies"! Hard to get locally but I have 3 channels of it on XM!

I can crank it up now! Well not too much since those are thirty plus year old Radio Shack speakers sitting under the amp and tuner from my old 80's component rack system.

Gloat mode off.

Mac

Ted Miller
02-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Mac, that's nice, see I went the other way, removed my table from the TS and built a router table, I have limited space but I like having the router table on its own and mobile...

Larry Fox
02-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Very nice. I also have XM in my shop and love it.

Jim Becker
02-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for posting about the lift...that's the one that I decided to use as I construct my "poor-man's" shaper station on the slider. I've always admired the BenchDog product and am looking forward to putting it to good use!

D.McDonnel "Mac"
02-12-2007, 12:03 PM
I've always admired the BenchDog product and am looking forward to putting it to good use!

Jim they are indeed built stout. I am an engineer and I find nothinig to complain about with the 4 bench dog products I have bought. Built smart, built stout, built to last! You'll enjoy the lift you get using them! :D

Jim Becker
02-12-2007, 2:23 PM
Thanks, Mac. I'm going to be using the lift as well as the cast iron "wing" product to build a router/shaper station on the outfeed side of my new saw. The Amazon discount sealled the deal (as well as a healthy expense check from a lot of road miles...unusual 'cause I usually fly or train).