PDA

View Full Version : What are some good items (and quantities) to have on hand? Things like fasteners.

Rich Engelhardt
02-12-2007, 6:53 AM
Hello,
I've made it a habit to pick up a box of screws here and some washers, nuts or bolts there, whenever I go into a store.

It seems like whatever I have though, I always need a different size :D

Is there any rule of thumb on what sizes of fastener - like what works best for 3/4" plywwod - to stock up on?

P.S. Sorry for what must seem such basic questions.

Jim DeLaney
02-12-2007, 7:42 AM
Rich,
For starters, you might look at McFeely's catalog, and maybe pick up one or two of their screw assortments.

I generally keep about a hundred #8 screws of each size - from ½" through 2½" - on hand, in both flat head and washer head, along with a ½" through 1¼" in #6, and a couple hundred pocket hole screws.

For bolts, I try to keep an assortment of 1/4" and 5/16", along with washers and nuts, in about 3/4" through 2½".

I still have to buy some specialty fasteners from time to time, but the on hand assortments cover probably 95% of what I do.

Don Bullock
02-12-2007, 8:17 AM
Rich, that's a very good qusetion and great advice from Jim. I plan to follow his suggestion.

Dewayne Reding
02-12-2007, 9:03 AM
Rich

You might add T-nuts to the list. Sizes 1/4 and 5/16, maybe a few 3/8. They aren't real cheap, but they are handy when you start building jigs (and occasionally on projects). I'm getting ready to waste some gas making a special trip right now for a couple of them.

The Rocker universal 48" T-track kits are on sale again for 10.99. If you are new to WW, they are super handy for making smooth adjusting jigs.

Matt Day
02-12-2007, 9:13 AM
And keep every nut/bolt/screw/washer you can find and put it in a container that you can pour out and look through!

Brian Tuftee
02-12-2007, 9:31 AM
I seem to use a lot of drywall screws for building jigs and whatnot. Also, outside of the realm of fasteners, I like to always have a few 2x4 sheets of 1/4" and 1/2" MDF, and 1/2" plywood for templates and jigs. Sanding sponges, in 60 and 150 grit, I love those things. Paper and pencils, lots of pencils, those seem to disappear on me. Just last night, I was saved a trip to the store when I discovered a mostly-full box of square-drive pocket hole screws, you never know what will come in handy. As time goes on, you'll just start to accumulate this stuff, so have a good storage system set up. I use clear Rubbermaid containers about 4"x8"x12" to store most of my odds and ends, sometimes using boxes inside of those containers, jars, etc. Get yourself a nice Dymo labeler, and mark up everything. Then have enough discipline to stick to your system!

Jim Becker
02-12-2007, 9:34 AM
I use 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" square drive screws the most, so I buy them from McFeeley's in the 1000 fastener boxes...more cost effective that way. Same for pocket hole screws. Other sizes I keep lesser quantities. (which reminds me...I'm out of a few of the longer ones...) Brian details a lot of useful things to keep around the shop...it appears he and I think a like on this subject.

Steve Kohn
02-12-2007, 9:40 AM
I have a pretty good selection of fasteners around from years of accumulating them. I also have some really weird things from my wife's father and grandfather's collection of cigar boxes.

Something that works for me is that I keep all of the fasteners in one place. Along with a pad of paper and a pencil. When I start to run low on something I write it down. Then I buy replacements for the entire list the next time I hit the BORG.