PDA

View Full Version : Projection TV cabinets--best threads?

Jameel Abraham
02-11-2007, 8:08 PM
My brother is upgrading to a 46" rear projection DLP, and he's recruiting me to make a cabinet for it. Not something huge, but more like a low cabinet for the unit to sit on. Didnt find much on the forum, other than this post

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46593&highlight=entertainment+center

Can someone maybe point out some good posts with designs and finished products?

Jim Becker
02-11-2007, 9:04 PM
There is at least one thread in the design forum for ECs, but a low cabinet (built sturdy) should be relatively easy to design and build to fit your bro's decor or taste. The critical dimension is the height so that viewing the screen is comfortable from the intended seating.

Jamie Buxton
02-11-2007, 9:27 PM
The critical dimension is the height so that viewing the screen is comfortable from the intended seating.

I've seen that thought in discussions of entertainment centers, or seen the recommendation that the middle of the screen be approximately at eyeball height for a seated person. That might seem reasonable, but consider the TV's in sports bars. They're all above eyeball height, and they seem comfortable for everybody in the bar.

Jamie Buxton
02-11-2007, 9:38 PM
Jameel, I've built one, but don't have a pic of it. Like Jim says, it is mostly a sturdy box. This one happened to be a modern style, in bigleaf maple. It was very smooth, with flush doors and no knobs. All the electronic components fit inside -- satellite receiver, DVD player, surround-sound amplifier, and the like. The one thing which surprised me is that the surround-sound amplifier put out lots of heat -- way more than the usual AM/FM receiver. At the start, I had a few cooling holes in the bottom and back, but after I saw (and felt) it in operation, I modified the cabinet to have the biggest darn cooling holes I could fit.

One nice trick is the IR repeater. It gets the remote's commands to the electronics inside the cabinet while they're completely hidden from sight. For example http://www.smarthome.com/59500.html

Rick Gooden
02-11-2007, 9:41 PM
Jameel,

Just so happens that I have been designing very high end systems for over 30 years and discovered long ago that the ideal viewing height is 30~34" from the bottom of the screen to the floor. This dimension works regardless of screen size considering increased viewing distance with increased screen size. Hope this helps. Keep in mind that sometimes we need to throw the ideal out for aesthetics.

Rick

Jameel Abraham
02-12-2007, 7:14 PM
Thanks. Just was hoping maybe for some slick ideas that I might incorporate. I'll do some searching....

Pete Brown
02-12-2007, 7:52 PM
I've seen that thought in discussions of entertainment centers, or seen the recommendation that the middle of the screen be approximately at eyeball height for a seated person. That might seem reasonable, but consider the TV's in sports bars. They're all above eyeball height, and they seem comfortable for everybody in the bar.

Only because there is a crowd to look over.

It also depends on the type of seat you use. If you watch TV while leaning back in a recliner, you may want the TV up higher.

Pete

Robert Strasser
02-12-2007, 9:50 PM
I built a cabinet for my 60-inch rear projection TV. It is 73 inches wide, 22 inches deep, and 19 inches high. I used an IR repeater from Rockler. You can see the IR eye at the upper right of the center speaker that is below the TV. I have a Delta CAD drawing of the cabinet if you'd like. Of course you would need Delta CAD to use it.

Jameel Abraham
02-13-2007, 8:54 AM
Thanks Robert. Good ideas. and nice cabinet

Bryan Somers
02-13-2007, 12:52 PM
The current issue of Woodsmith (http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/169/)has plans for just the very thing your looking for. Similar to the stand Robert posted.

Chris Merriam
02-13-2007, 1:15 PM
For inspiration check out the Salamander furniture website. They've got some pretty cool customizable stuff. If you have a Magnolia theater in your Best Buy, that is what most of the furniture is.

I'm on the same mission as you, I built a 2xTower with bridge EC for my floor standing TV, then upgraded to a plasma. Plasma is too wide plus it needs a base. Some I'm going to build a console-table style EC.

My priorities are a large center opening for my center channel. I have a giant Klipsch reference series center speaker and all the designs I've seen have tiny little cubby holes for the center.

I also want to build a couple drawers right under the table top to hold my DVDs. Not sure how this will affect the TV height though. I'm picky and do not want to look above eye level.

Not sure if this material is available to the hobbyist, but one "cool" feature the salamander furniture has is metal perforated sides and back. It's black metal with a bunch of holes punched in it for cooling like a super condensed pegboard.

wayne ateser
02-13-2007, 2:06 PM
I made one to sit in a corner. My own ideas as I could not find anything I liked. No plans as it was straightforward.

Barry Beech
02-13-2007, 3:49 PM
I am working on a media console now. The cabinet is constructed with a main cabinet that is about 4inches taller and 3inches deeper than the two symetrical cabinets on either end. The end cabinets won't be as wide as a half of the main cabinet either. The end cabinets will be able to be removed from the main cabinet to make transportation easier. The main cabinet is big enough that the footprint of the TV is 1.5inches short on either side of the cabinet. No drawers in the console, but the doors have raised panels.

The console is being made of solid walnut. The main cabinet is done but the sides are waiting to be started. :rolleyes:

Do a google search on media console to get more ideas.

This console is pretty massive (around 72 inches wide) but my wife wanted something that helped make the TV look a little smaller. :D

Al Killian
02-13-2007, 7:31 PM
I have the perfect one for you. Make on that raises up out of the floor, then when your done it a button and its gone.:eek: Now to get the wife on board withit.:D