PDA

View Full Version : Antique Oil

Ron Chamberlin
02-11-2007, 5:44 PM
I have seen a few references to "antique oil". What are some particulars? is this same/different from Danish oil? I did a quick look at Highland tool's site, but found nothing. Anybody have any info?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2007, 5:45 PM
Ron....I vaguely remember Travis Stinson saying it was a Watco or Miniwax product. I looked at the local Borg with no success. I'm planning to check at my local full service hardware store next.

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-11-2007, 5:53 PM
I got mine at Ace Hardware.

Ron Jones near Indy
02-11-2007, 5:53 PM
Minwax I believe; I've never used it though.

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-11-2007, 6:06 PM
Yep! Minwax. Comes in a red quart can.

Mark Cothren
02-11-2007, 6:10 PM
I believe it is just a slightly different "flavor" of Danish oil. I've used both Olympic and Minwax brands. It is my opinion that Minwax builds up a better finish using the same number of applied coats, but your mileage may vary.

Bernie Weishapl
02-11-2007, 6:43 PM
I have used the Olympic Antique Danish Oil but not the Minwax in the red can. Can't seem to find it around here. Olympic does a pretty good job.

George Tokarev
02-11-2007, 6:58 PM
I have seen a few references to "antique oil". What are some particulars? is this same/different from Danish oil? I did a quick look at Highland tool's site, but found nothing. Anybody have any info?

Minwax "Antique Oil Finish." Alkyd resin version of a wipe-on finish. Bit softer than the poly, and darker in color before and after application. If you don't mind the darkening, it's a good finish, and easy to apply. It seems to me that it takes longer to cure than poly as well, but it does a satin hand-rubbed look with decent clarity.

Higher in solids than most "Danish" oils, according to the label, so builds faster.

Jeff Moffett
02-11-2007, 9:35 PM
I, too, found the Minwax version at my local Ace Hardware. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.minwax.com/images/Products/antique-oil.jpg

Travis Stinson
02-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Yup, that's it Jeff. Minwax from Ace Hardware. I love the stuff.;)

Mike Ramsey
02-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I've used the watco version many times, the only differince
I see between the natural & the antique, is the antique turns
a lot darker than the natural.

Jim Becker
02-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Minwax "Antique Oil Finish." Alkyd resin version of a wipe-on finish. Bit softer than the poly, and darker in color before and after application. If you don't mind the darkening, it's a good finish, and easy to apply. It seems to me that it takes longer to cure than poly as well, but it does a satin hand-rubbed look with decent clarity.

Higher in solids than most "Danish" oils, according to the label, so builds faster.

Technically speaking, a polyurethane resin varnish is "softer" than an alkyd (or phenolic) based varnish due to it's abrasion resistance properties. For buffing and rubbing out, you will always be better served by an alkyd or phenolic (Waterlox is an example) varnish as they do abrade well...and that's what you are doing when you polish...scratching them to finer and finer degrees until it appears to shine.

As to the original question, the Minwax Antique Oil Finish is really nice to use on turnings. It builds well and buffs out wonderfully. Like many such oil-based products, once it's open, it has limited shelf life, so one shouldn't buy it in large containers.

George Tokarev
02-12-2007, 2:38 PM
OK, but poly will also buff, and I can't dig a fingernail into it. Seems to be some inconsistency there.

Nonetheless, I agree with Jeff. http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00060.asp