PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer over Waterlox?

Mike Hill
02-11-2007, 4:05 PM
I have 4 coats of glossy clear Waterlox on the clock I am building. I would like the final finish to be satin. To avoid buying another can of Waterlox in Satin finish (roughly $29.00), is it possible to spray the final coat in Satin Lacquer? I have plenty of that product and tried it on a test piece where it appeared to set up OK.

Mike

Howard Acheson
02-11-2007, 4:27 PM
The solvents in lacquer will attack an oil based finish that is not fully cured. This would mean that it would be risky to attempt unless the finish was at least six months old.

Why lacquer? You could get a can of satin varnish or poly varnish, scuff sand the undercoat and apply the satin varnish.

Another choice is to let the current finish cure for 3-4 weeks and then "finish the finish". Sand with 400, then 600 and then rub with a gray scotchbrite pad. That should give you a nice, soft satin finish.

Mike Hill
02-11-2007, 4:34 PM
Howie: I tried another test piece and sprayed Lacquer over the Waterlox. It did eat it up! Honestly I think I better spring for the Waterlox satin and do it correctly. Thanks for your good advice.
Mike

Al Navas
02-11-2007, 4:58 PM
Actually, Howie is right on mark, as usual. Using gloss all the way, and THEN using sand paper schedule he gave you, followed by the grey Scotchbrite pad, will give you the BEST and smoothest finish. It will be MUCH better than using satin Waterlox. You will be pleasantly surprised! The downside: The four-week wait.

Mike Hill
02-13-2007, 8:58 AM
Al: I really like the idea of waiting 4 weeks and sanding the surface smooth. Putting the Varnish on in a cold garage made the surface a little more uneven than I would have liked. Sanding it should really make it smooth. I am in the process of waiting for the movement and have the clock in the house so it will cure correctly. Thanks for the advice and help.
Mike