PDA

View Full Version : Mallee Burl Winged Bowl

Chris Barton
02-11-2007, 3:13 PM
I did this a couple of weeks ago and finally got around to taking some pictures today. This is from a Mallee burl that John Hart picked up for me at Berea Hardwoods about 2 years ago. This is the first bowl from this burl which was nearly a square foot in size. I have been planning on how to get the most from this burl, kind of like cutting diamonds since it costs more than weapon-grade urainium. While I love the look of Mallee, I don't particularly like turning it. It is about the consistency of very hard wax and turns very differently from other woods in general (in my opinion). I tried to use a Kelton core saver on the inside but, the Mallee just wouldn't cooperate. In the age old question about "the indian or the arrow," this arrow makes just about anything you turn with it look good, even bonkers. It's about 4" tall by 6" in diameter. All comments welcome.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2007, 3:17 PM
Very, very nice Chris! What did you use for the finish? The form is excellent and you nailed the details! Gorgeous!

Bernie Weishapl
02-11-2007, 3:18 PM
Chris that is a beautiful bowl. I really like the form and finish. Yep Mallee is some nice wood and someday I will break down and get a piece to turn. Chris wonderful job. What kind of finish did you use?

Chris Barton
02-11-2007, 3:21 PM
Thanks guys, I just used the Beal system and wax. I replaced my old Beal system with a new Jet long arbor buffer/sander and Woodcraft replaced my mandrel from the damaged system (previous post) and I use the Beal only for the wax wheel now.

Neal Addy
02-11-2007, 3:32 PM
Man, Chris... that is one pretty bowl! You're right about Mallee being a challenge to turn. That makes this all the more impressive.

Jonathon Spafford
02-11-2007, 4:13 PM
Actually I like the bowl... personally I think it looks very nice and there is something neat about the shape! The ONLY thing that I might have done differently is the extra curve on the foot I probably would have cut it off so that it just has a thin little foot.

Tom Sherman
02-11-2007, 4:24 PM
Lookin good Chris.

Christopher K. Hartley
02-11-2007, 5:21 PM
Beautiful wood and work Chris! I really like that detail and form.:)

George Conklin
02-11-2007, 5:49 PM
Very nice, Chris. I think you hit a home run with the form on this one. Just perfect, in my humble opinion:) .

Too bad the wood didn't want to be cored. Expensive as that timber is, you hate to see any go to waste.

John Chandler
02-11-2007, 7:52 PM
Very nice, very pretty. Really nice work.

Mark Pruitt
02-11-2007, 8:44 PM
Excellent job Chris! That's a very pretty piece.

Keith Burns
02-12-2007, 8:35 AM
Nice bowl Chris, well done !:) :)

Chris Barton
02-13-2007, 7:00 AM
Thanks everyone. Johnathan, I did agonize a bit over the foot/base. My mentor for winged bowls likes the form I used and I will have to say that her influence shows in my work. Had I done it again I would have shaped it a little bit differently and perhaps made it a bit smaller. The foot/base is supposed to be (in my rancid mind) a reflection of the cove on the underside of the wing. Also, I have noticed that about 2/3rds down from the top I have a bit of a flat section on the sides which should be a sweeping curve without any hint of flatness. To me, the hardest part of turning is not mastering the tools, that comes with practice. But, developing a eye for form and asthetics is very hard. My first bowl looked like a Dixie cup and at the time, I thought it was a work of art. I find that I am much more cirtical of my work now and always seem to feel as though I have soo much to learn, and I do...

Chris Barton
02-13-2007, 7:20 AM
Here are the examples of what I seem to see as errors in form in my bowl.

A) This is the flat spot I mentioned before.

B) The width of the rebate above the cove is too wide

C) The black line is how wide I would do the bottom if I were to return this piece.

To me, the most intriguing part of turning is developing a sense of form. I would love to see more posts discussing the asthetics of what we turn in an honest way that helps us mature our skill sets and take our work to higher levels. I think everyone is very thoughtful here at SMC and very encouraging as well. But with me, be brutally honest, I need it... just ask my wife.

Karl Laustrup
02-13-2007, 8:00 AM
That is a beauty Chris. I like the shape and even though you weren't enamored with turning it, the look of that wood is stunning.

Karl

Curt Fuller
02-13-2007, 9:22 AM
That's a beauty Chris. Although it would look different with the changes you suggested there is no guarantee it would look better. And once you've made the changes you can't go back.

John Miliunas
02-13-2007, 6:02 PM
Chris, I concur about the flat area. Just a tad deterring from the general form of the piece. However, that's pretty much where I'd stop. I think it's a very classic looking piece and your attention to all the detail, right on up to the finishing are spot on! I would have absolutely no issue with proudly displaying that piece in my home! Well done, sir. :)

John Hart
02-13-2007, 6:26 PM
Yup...It's a nice one. I didn't see the flat spot until you pointed it out. It took me a while before I figured out how to get rid of them. And you're right...It was the honest critique that showed me the way. I love everything about this piece. It has great character.

Norman A Stratton
02-15-2007, 6:01 PM
I like the shape of your bowl. It remindes me of a chamber pot. But is just too pretty to use. :)

As for what you think are design errors,
I didn't see the flat spot in the picture until you pointed it out. I'm still not sure I'd call it a flat spot. Now that I see what you call the flat spot, it draws my eye to the base. That might be what makes you think the width of the rebate above the bottom cove is too wide.
However, I do not agree that the base is too wide. If anything, I think the base should be a bit wider and the cove a bit smaller. This goes back to my impression of the chamber pot. You need a wide base to sit on it properly.

Chamber pots are wider and taller than your bowl. And the difference in size changes what's a pleasing proportion. Your pictures don't give any sense of scale, so it's hard to tell if any of the things you think are problems make any difference at that size.
And to be brutally honest, the wood is so beautyful, and the finish so nice, that the bowl just sings.

Jonathon Spafford
02-15-2007, 6:20 PM
Chamber pot???? Hmmmm... have to think about that one! I don't usually compare most of my turnings or anyone elses to that particular vessel ;)

I personally thought it looked like a little pot of gold. I could picture a little leprechan peeking from around the side :rolleyes:

Dennis Peacock
02-15-2007, 9:04 PM
That's a beauty for sure Chirs. Beautiful. :D

Corey Hallagan
02-15-2007, 9:54 PM
That's a very fine looking piece Chris! The wood is beautiful and you put a very pleasing form and edge treatments on it. Beautiful finish and great job all around!

Corey

Chris Barton
02-16-2007, 7:19 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I too, can see the resemblance to a chamber pot. This would be a very small one. Despite some of my disappointments in turning this bowl, it won't see the edge of cold hard steel again. I very rarely try to go back and redo one once I have pulled it from the lathe. But, it's all good stuff to remember on my next one. Thanks Again!